* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rites and Rituals


I got to thinking yesterday about my life together with S. He is such a great man. And we're coming up on ten years in December. We spent the first seven years virtually joined at the hip together -- work, home, days off, vacations, layovers. All together. We have developed some crazy routines, as I supposed all people do. But it's just funny to stand back, outside yourself, as if a camera were making a movie of your life. And then watch it with a bowl of popcorn and a Diet Lime Coke:

Along about 8-9pm, you'd see us having migrated away from our laptops and toward the TV for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. One of us would get up during a commercial and go get both of our toothbrushes for us complete with applied toothpaste. We'd sit through the next segment brushing our teeth. Next commercial, we're off to spit and rinse. I apply liberal amounts of eye cream, take a pee, check the doors to be sure no boogie men (or women) can get in, turn down the heat, make sure the lights are out. He: Sets up the coffee for the ungodly hour of 4am....it goes off automatically (I would brew it fresh when I got up....I like it fresh better than having sat on the burner for a while). And this is the fun part: He gets out one Ambien and lays it out for me to come and split in half. We each get 50%. Sometimes we use my Lunesta instead....I like butterflies. We're half-pill poppers, I tell you. Then he usually does a last-minute check of his emails. And, we're off...up the stairs. The whole upstairs is our bedroom...500 square feet. Sometimes the TV goes on just to finish up The Colbert Report or American Idol or Andy Griffith on TV Land. Sometimes, we're zonked....the Ambien does work quickly. The neighbor's dogs are barking outside our bedroom window and sometimes we don't even hear them anymore. Vick's Vapo-Rub under our noses, a little bantering about this or that, lights out, and the spooning begins. Cozied up as close as I can get on the cold winter nights.....bare feet intertwined....he in his t-shirt and boxers...me in nothing. And always with an "I love you and appreciate you." Always.

PS: We'll repeat this performance nearly every night of the week. (Oops, I almost forgot....we turn on the "White Noise" machine too....keeps the car noises and dogs barking to a minimum -- and if we're sick or have colds, there's a whole other layer of Nyquil, Allegra, nasal decongestants, etc.). It's something else, I tell you.

21 comments:

Dave2 said...

Ten YEARS? I'm lucky to keep a relationship together ten days! It must be nice to have somebody to split your sleeping pill with at the end of the night. :-)

Greg said...

Ten years. Fantastic!

Doug said...

Cuddling on a cold night is da bomb!

Christopher said...

You had me at Diet Lime Coke!...

I'm so happy for you two! I haven't had the pleasure of meeting ya'll, but just from looking at the pics of you guys, you can "see the love".

Robert said...

The sleepy pill part IS the funniest! ahaha! You guys have the cutest rituals... also the tooth brushin' as well! Makes me giggles!

Funny I was just telling Alec about the Lunesta commercial.. where the glowing butterfly just flies in and 'puts' the person to sleep... It's more like alien abduction to me! Where the butterfly just zaps your soul and you wake up a totally different person! heh.

10 years! yay!

Steven said...

Whenever I hear about how long a gay couple has been together, I always think of the ALPO dog food commercial with Lorne Green from the "olden" days (do I fit that category already?) Lorne would quip about a dog, "He's 6 years old. That's 42 for you and me." I say that one year of bliss between two gay males is like 7 years of bliss with a heterosexual couple because a long relationship is sometimes hard to come by in the gay community. So I congratulate the both of you on 10 years!

I am very much into routine as well, which I look at sometimes as a sense of stability and security. Although the once in a while "off the seat of my pants" spontanaeity is fun!

Hopefully the adding of Rogaine or the splitting of a Geritol tablet ten years from now won't become part of the routine for you guys! ;-)

Single Guy said...

ten years. Wow..you guys seem to have an amazing relationship!!!

Unknown said...

Ah Ten years! Congrats! Joe and I just celebrated 6 years a few weeks ago. Time flys when your in love! Joe and I have our rituals too but we always end our day with a kiss and spooning... ah...

Enjoy the time while you can... ;-) It all goes by so quickly.

Hugs.. Chris

My adventures said...

congrats on that milestone... the hubby and i have such different schedules, i usually follow him to the bedroom to brush my teeth, kiss him goodnight and maybe get "lucky"... then come back downstairs for a little TV... then to bed an hour later... by the time i get to bed though, the dogs are already spooning him... it's an effort to get them away... lol...

Billy said...

Your post make's me miss my man even more...

D and I celebrated 6 years a month ago, and love each other even more now. Congrats Lewis - it's takes a special kind of gay people to be together as long as you have.

Now gonna dream about next week when I get to spoon with my hubby again...

Michael Guy said...

The bliss, comfort and joy of routine with a loved one. Wonderful!

"W" said...

Well after wiping the vomit away, this bitter old queen says...

"CONGRATS to you both! You all seem to have such a wonderful thing going, and yes, like everyone else has said, you're both very lucky!"

I can only dream of the day I can write a post half as sweet and sincere as that one.

TigerYogi said...

That was so sweet! :)

Anonymous said...

Ten years! That is sooo great! Got to seven with the ex, but then is addictions ended that. The hubby and have been together almost 4 years now, (almost 2 years married, my where does the time go?) I love your little routines, hilarious! we are not quite at there yet, but we always say I love you to each other, each and every night before bed.

Anonymous said...

Ambien is our friend

one3y3 said...

Yeah, I miss the routine of a relationship. I'm envious.

And God bless white noise! I need it myself to sleep (sans Ambien).

Nathan said...

Wow. It's the little things in our routines that mean so much. That's such an adorable outline of your typical night together.

It's also fun to hear about the small things people do like putting Vick's under their nose. I do the same thing when my allergies are acting up!

Congratulations on 10 years! That's wonderful :)

LSL said...

Heavens, this is the sweetest post I've ever read. The toothpaste thing is cute, cute, cute. Honestly, it gives me something to wish and hope for. Thanks for posting it. You both are the luckiest people in the world.

buff said...

That's so sweet guys. As the years progress, the pills will change, but the caring and love, will never change. Big hairy muscle hugs of congratulations to both of you.

T-Bird said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

such princesses!