* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Watch Out For Falling Prices (and T-Shirts!)




As if anybody needs another reason not to support any business that doesn't pay its hard-working employees enough to keep their children off welfare rolls, here is yet another compelling argument to drive on by your local Wal-Mart before you get hit with more than falling prices. Last week, blog site Bent Corner broke a story that WM was selling a particular t-shirt bearing a striking (exact?) resemblance to a Nazi SS symbol. The "Death's Head" (German Totenkopf) symbol was worn by the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf. The t-shirt is nearly an exact replica. There are cool t-shirts by the thousands on the market right now with millions clamoring to pick up the tightest, trendiest ones....you know, the ones that will make our pecs poke out and our six-pack ripple (I'm on my way to a whole case). But this is not one of them. Plenty has happened in the nearly a week since WM was made aware of this particular design. You can read about it's details in Bent Corner as well as a little "Murder She Wrote" type of investigation by another blogger Scott-O-Rama. Just last November, I had the life-altering opportunity to visit my second and third Nazi concentration/death camps. In February 2004, I had been to Sachsenhausen near Berlin and then November 2005 visited Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland. Let's save the sobering details of those visits for another time. Suffice it to say that there is no excuse for the propagation of Nazi symbols or any other type of hate. Even in a country where many of us support and appreciate free speech and opinion, there are things that shouldn't be done simply because they can be done...especially when it comes at someone else's expense.

5 comments:

K-A said...

That's truly frightening. It's well worth the longer drive for me to go to Target.

Homer said...

I never, ever shop at Hell-mart.

A Lewis said...

But Homer, how could you not? I mean, they're rolling back prices for you. Screw 'em.

Ryan said...

im a target guy myself maybe its coz my friend drives there race car but come on walmart says 2 me trailer trash j/k

JoeBlogs said...

Whats thats saying, 'been there, brought the t-shirt'.