* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pee and the Psycho Doctor

In spite of the brazen individual that I've become, I used to be horribly shy (I know, no one will believe me). Ridiculously so. I would make sure I was the first one into a classroom, lunchroom, any room, so that I wouldn't have to be watched as the skinny, little, white boy entered (you've seen the pictures)....and maybe even have to go through the arduous task of trying to find a seat by some nice person who felt sorry for me. "Red rover, red rover, send _____ right over" and never hearing your name called was hell. It was hell enough to make me run for the stall in the boy's bathroom growing up. I mean, I think there were two or three urinals and a couple of stalls -- complete with the safety and privacy of a door. I would love to have seen those doors with dead bolts and an alarm system installed. But, of course, you already know of my former shyness when it comes to these sorts of indiscretions. You would never find me at the urinal...hanging my wee-wee out for the boys to see was just not my thing. Alas, I was the one holed up in the stall, peeking through the crack in the door to be sure that no one was trying to look inside at me. I think I'd have poked their eye out if they had. And, not only that, but I found myself most comfortable when actually sitting down, not standing, while peeing. Hum. Weird, isn't it? I mean, there are stranger things that we boys have done in the bathrooms....but this one was just a little off. I can't really explain it very well. But I do remember it. And how my parents ever came to hear of it is beyond me, but they did. It was along about this same time that I just plain old didn't find school challenging (early grade school here, late 1960s or maybe 1970). It was totally boring and never really did accelerate in excitement for me. I couldn't wait to get out of school. So, my parents sent me off to see psycho doctor down in an old house near downtown. I remember my mom taking me there. I went in with the doc while she sat in the waiting room probably reading last month's Life magazine or gazing through Highlight's for Children for some new activity to have me try when we got home. I remember answering question after question for the shrink. We looked at pictures: "What do you see in this picture?" We played the little game "What shape do you see in here?" as I looked intensely at a bunch of black or blue ink dots on the page and tried to decipher a naked boy in that mess. I have no horrible, terrible emotional trauma from that day. I think I performed well under the pressure. What I do know is that the kindly doctor told my mom that there was nothing wrong with me. That school actually was boring and didn't make me think. It was plain old not challenging. He also told her that if I wanted to do something, I'd do it. And if I did not want to do something, that I probably wouldn't do it. Nothing has changed. I can still be stubborn. Now, as for the let's-not-take-a-leak-in-front-of-the-boys deal, he said it was just a phase and that I'd get over it. And, boy, did I. I think I went too far the other direction.

UPDATE (May 19): Take a look here at what my friend over at Saturday Night Soup for the Soul created as a result of this post. Warning -- Adult Material -- 18 and Over Only.

19 comments:

Billy said...

You butch thing you... Sitting down to pee! ;-)

I've never really been one to 'go' in public, and to this day prefer using a stall. Also had the whole 'doc visit' when younger, but I feel much better now, thank you.

Funny post - thanks! Looking forward to seeing you Masai Pic's sometime.

Michael Guy said...

Ditto. Pee shy still today. Need a stall. With friend in front of the door. Which may explain why I've never stepped foot into a bath-house scenario.

I peed sitting down when I was a lad. Only because my mom did. I mean, she always dragged me into the stall when we were shopping.

Why are gay boys so shy? I would rather have died than shower in gym class. I did...but didn't like it at all. Do you think it's because we REALLY DID want to see all the boys naked but were afraid of the arousal factor? I'm just talking out of my ass here today. Good post, Lewis.

Christopher said...

Every morning, I sit down to go pee...let's just say that my vision & aim are at their worst early in the morn...and I grew so tired of wiping morning piss off the walls/toilet seat/shower walls/my feet......ahem.

TigerYogi said...

Hubby is the same way even now, as far as sitting down to pee is concerned... :)

Robert said...

Oh boy, I sit down and pee, too... but only when I wake up during the middle of the night, cuz I don't want to spray everywhere. heh!

Have a great weekend Lewis. And your hubby, too! xoxo

Steven said...

Sitter here, too. Only because of that little "dermal adhesion" in the morning. No problem elsewhere. What I REALLY hated were the communal urinals where everyone stood in a circle to relieve themselves; or the long "flower basket" urinals along the wall. ACK!

T-Bird said...

...so 'too far the other way' meaning you are into water sports?

Wayne said...

Give my a urnial, I'm not shy!

Doug said...

So, when we get together, we're gonna have a group bathroom experience? ;)

I'm surprised the doctor didn't realize you were gay:

Doc: "And what do you see here?"
You: "Naked boys."
Doc: "And here?"
You: "A penis."
Doc: *sigh* "And what about here?"
You: "A man fondling himself."
Doc: "Um, right."

T-Bird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T-Bird said...

Lewis, Your story inspired me to post "The Doctor said it was just a phase (and that I'd grow out of it)"

http://saturdaynightsoulsoup.blogspot.com/2007/05/doctor-said-it-was-just-phase-and-that.html

Caveat emptor: contains nudity

Anonymous said...

Man I remember those stalls too, I was very modest. The first man I saw naked was my 4-H advisor when I was in the 7th grade after we had all went tubing down the river and was changing. I was waiting for a stall to change in, and he dropped his shorts right there and I thought I'd fallen in love.

tornwordo said...

I sit to pee at home. But in public, it's urinals all the way. You can see other pee-pees by shifting your eyes. I know they can see mine too, but I figure I'm the only pervert shifting the eyes, lol. I'm probably wrong, but if I thought about that, I wouldn't be able to pee, lol.

Ur-spo said...

This is a common phenonema. I see a new case 1-2 x a month. Happily there are more sane treatments; and yes, often it goes away.

one3y3 said...

I still prefer a stall over a urinal.

Funny how that never came up the one time I went to a shrink.

Red Seven said...

I love urinals. Always have. If Mr. Right has a bank account, we'll build a house together, and the master bath with have a toilet AND a urinal AND a bidet!!

:-)

D-Man said...

As far as the "I think I went too far the other direction" comment: Just remember to always leave the door open when you pee at Lewis' house, and you'll be just fine.

School bathroooms were hell for me, too. They were always a place where kids like me got beat up. It took me about 30 years to be able to pee in public, but I got over it (yay!) and now I can use the urinal in a crowd. I do sit down to pee a home, but this is a more recent thing - because I'm the one who cleans the toilets.

Oh yes, and I got dragged to the shrink, too. His name was Dr. Stember and I was too embarassed to say that that one inkblot looked like "boobies", but he drug it out of me anyway.

Kevin said...

If I'm out, I use the urinal, but at home, when I can be lazy, sometimes I just sit my ass down.

So does this mean that now you're one of the guys that stands about a foot back from the urinal so everyone can see?

S said...

So your parents took you to therapy because of how you went to the bathroom? Twisted.

You'd think they would've done that for your excessive drinking.