* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Fabric of Our Lives




Just more than 100 years ago, my great grandfather developed what was rumored to have been tuberculosis. At that point in history, people were "sent away" to recover from that and other illnesses. They were quarantined in places for recovery. During his time, he cut out a bunch of quilt pieces. Some were pieced together to make quilts at that point. Others found their way into an old trunk and placed in the basement of my mother's aunt. They were in that trunk and in that basement from the 1940s until not so many years ago. They opened the trunk one eventful day and found all of these pieces stashed away. My mom had some of them quilted together. And this is one of them. If you know your quilting, you'll know that this is a log cabin pattern -- and this one is unusual because the centers are blue instead of the traditional red center. I had asked my mom for this several years ago. She told me that I could have it when she died. (Now, there's a pleasant thought.) But, for my next birthday, it arrived -- in a box, all gift wrapped. I couldn't have been more excited! Today, it hangs above our guest bed. I love it. I show it off. I love it when our past holds hands in peace with our present day. 1905 -- 2007. 102 years.....and still counting. You'll have to be our guest sometime so you can see it for yourself.

21 comments:

Michael Guy said...

Do I get breakfast in bed? LURVE the wall color! Is that a Benjamin Moore color by chance?

Thoughtful post, Lewis.

heather said...

That's a great family heirloom.

TJ said...

It's lovely and you should be very proud of it and what it represents. I used to have one my grandmother made but I left it with my mum back in the states. Maybe someday I'll go back and get it.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous family treasure! You are right to be proud of it - as a quilt and as a piece of family history.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and treasured gift! I'm sure your Mom is thrilled that you have it and that you are so proud of it.

K-A said...

That truly is a wonderful gift and a wonderful bit of family history.

By the way, first thing in the morning I like my tea in bed.

LSL said...

I love this story. What a meaningful piece of your history. Beautiful.

A Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ur-spo said...

how fanstastic
i have been working on my first log cabin quilt for some years now and it won't look half as good as this one.

Billy said...

Stunning! Will have to come and see this in person some time...

Sorted Lives said...

Beautiful. You are very lucky to have this.

Wayne said...

A beautiful piece of work!
And I'll take you up on the invite!

bardelf said...

What a treasure! I'm glad to see that you have it displayed and not stored away.

My maternal grandmother taught me how to quilt, and she and I made two quilts together. Jonavan and I sleep under one of them each night.

TigerYogi said...

Fabulous! Such a thoughtful mother! :)

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable...We have blankets that date back to the early 1900's but nothing quite as beautiful as quilting. Perhaps with a little nagging..well a lot actually. Mum might start one.

Steven said...

Beautiful quilt and a sentimental post with history behind it. Especially with the quilt as a surprise present. Glad your mother was able to share in it while she is alive and not "when she died."

Our historic preservation commission is looking to landmark the TB sanitorium (no longer a sanitorium anymore) because of its "art deco" architectural style and design that was ahead of its time. Hmmmm...

Will said...

That's a really gorgeous piece of work. With luck maybe we'll be out in portland next spring and able to admire it in person.

Should we ever be lucky enough to have you out here on a Visit we'll take you to the wonderful quilting museum we have here in Lowell MA, home of our local mill industry and a great place to spend a day.

Jimmi said...

That's a great story. You have to love that it has that much history.

T-Bird said...

Pure art!

Anonymous said...

What a special piece of history. I'm so glad you have it now :)

Anonymous said...

those are beautiful, Mike loves quilts, I wish I had one of my grandma's, all I got was her coldcream and moisturizers, at least I won't have wrinkles.