* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fire it Up, Baby


September 18, 2007....mark the date. 48 degrees out, 66 inside. And it happened after a bit of bantering back and forth as to whether it should or not. We fired up the furnace. It's a beautiful brushed stainless steel Maytag furnace, four years old. It includes central air conditioning. From left to right: The cold air return bringing used air from the house back to the furnace. The small unit with the white/blue front on it is the Honeywell electronic air cleaner that filters the air before it is pumped into the huge silver-fronted heating/cooling unit. The filters are cleaned once every couple of months. On the far right is the hot water heater, (poorly) wrapped in insulation. Now, the most obvious sign that we are light in the loafers (as my dad used to call it), is the little wooden incense burning center at the bottom, center, front of the picture on the floor. We burn a stick of patchouli or sage or some other scent that pleases the olfactory receptor neurons. The aroma is sucked into the air system and pumped throughout the house. Whoowhee.....I'll bet that nobody is having as much fun as we are today.
PS: Anybody in San Diego and want to have dinner with me on Thursday early evening? I'll be near the airport if anyone is bored.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel so bad... our date was September 16, 2007. Outside temperature was 45, inside was 62 and after getting into bed, just could feel warm enough. I finally broke down and cringed as I moved the electronic control from COOL to HEAT and waited for the inside temp to be brought back up to 68.

Steven said...

I see the duct tape was put to good use when wrapping the water heater. Just don't be putting any illegal incense next to the air intake. Cops will sense a "bumper crop."

Brad said...

Yessir, exciting life you lead there, Lewis. Very. Exciting.

A Bear in the Woods said...

Are you boys giving yourselves a patchouli rush today?

K-A said...

Wow all that furnace talk is kind of sexy. I think it turned me on.

Cooper said...

Did you know that sage is a purifier and removes negativity from the air? When I moved into my house I did a little ritual sage burning spreading the scented smoke through every room.

Steve said...

It's that time of year!!!!

Darin said...

Hmmmm..it was 97 here today.

I'll be in Portland next weekend. Warm it up for us!

Anonymous said...

Will hit 92 here today. Ugggh.

Lewis, now you know what I meant when I was so excited about my new washer and dryer!!

Jimmi said...

It was BEAUTIFUL here this morning but we are still in the upper 90's low 100's during the day. :(

I am with you on the heat. I can't stand it when the house is cold, I am all for a warm surrounding.

savante said...

Cleaning filters? Eeep. Fortunately I have an older brother who loves doing that.

TigerYogi said...

48 degrees and you turned on the heater?!! You wimps! ;)

P.S. That incense idea is intriguing! Unfortunately, Hubby doesn't like incense. If I want to burn incense, and Hubby's home, I have to use a special "smokeless" kind from Japan... :(

T-Bird said...

This #@XO&* weather sucks. What a rip this summer was.

Wayne said...

yep! that time of year, and I am soooo not looking forward to what's next.

Jim said...

We just purchased a new funrace and had it installed on Sept 13th. Our furnace was approximately 50-60 years old(our house being 80yo). We also switched to bio-diesel.

We opted to not get the A/C. You really don't need it in Portland. Now I can't wait for cold weather.