* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, July 27, 2008

White Bean Vegetable Summer Salad

We're on our way to a friend's home for a BBQ on their back patio. I've been instructed to bring a salad and have concocted this one. As is typical for me, the amounts of each item matter not. You're the artist. Make it your own.

Two cans butter beans, rinsed and drained.
Chopped: Radish, zucchini, cucumber, orange pepper, fresh parsley.
Char half of a chopped Walla Walla or other sweet onion on the grill. Toss onion into the mix. Add rice wine vinegar, a little sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder, coarse-chopped fresh black pepper, tablespoon of olive oil, and a sprinkling of red chili flakes. Toss, chill, and enjoy. Along with chunk of heavy bakery bread and a chilled glass of Niagara. It's a veggie sort of guy's perfect salad. After all, it is summer....right?

7 comments:

RAD said...

YUM! LOVE the grilled onion part! We just picked up some Walla Walla onions at Safeway today...Time to go grill a onion for our Salad tonite! Will have to try the entire recipe soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds very delicious. Salads are my favorite things to prepare, because you can truly be the artist...(I'm giving you a break from your non-Spanish abilities, ha ha!!)

Qué rico,
Gregorio

tornwordo said...

I cannot picture in my mind what a butter bean is. Is it just the white pinto beans?

Anonymous said...

What a wild and eclectic blend of food to make a creative summer salad! Don't think I have ever seen one like that before. I bet it was enjoyed!

dit said...

sounds delicious. Ever consider making a recipe book?

Ur-spo said...

summer eating is divine; all the fresh produce and fruits.
I think of blueberries and corn on the cob.
alas, it is too expensive now for either of these items.

daveincleveland said...

sounds yummy..will try that this weekend as i am having a guest for dinner saturday night