* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Endearing of Souls


Exactly what is it that connects souls? One to another. A group to another group. Couples to each other and to other couples. Plain old people to people sort of hookups. Sometimes geography, mutual friends, belonging to the same club or group, or just meeting in public somewhere. Who knows. But I do know one thing -- I've become a victim. And if you know me, you know that I rarely believe anyone is a victim....but, rather, usually volunteers. So, for me to claim to be a victim is something.


I can't tell you the joy it's brought me to have been the house guest of these guys:


Sean and Jeffrey treated me like the princess I've always deep down thought I was. I had my own room with fresh sheets. The refrigerator was stocked with drinks and yummies. I found fresh hot coffee available every morning when I got up. They picked me up at the Albany airport after a busy work day when I'm sure they'd rather have been relaxing at home. They introduced me to a million of their close-knit group of friends. I was able to participate in one of Sean's favorite activities with him....A Cosmo at Rocks bar in Albany. And (giant sacrifice!) they got up at 3:30am today to drag my tired arse back to the airport for a 6am flight to Chicago and then on to Portland. All without complaining. In fact, with smiles and happy thoughts. I even talked Sean into dragging out his trombone and playing a few diddys. He really enjoys playing and I always enjoy good music so it worked out well. And Jeffrey entertained me forever with the stuff I am totally into like all of Albany's historical data and stats. How far it is from here to there, the history behind things, who votes for whom, etc. And I love hearing people's family histories, where they've come from, and where they want to go in life. And who can hold out for a good old fashioned game of Who Is the Biggest Pervert. And the showstopper of the evening had to be this apron shot:


Sean whipped us up some yummy food (in spite of the fact that we had pasta for days the entire time I was there). We barely ate any of his food last night. But the Naked Chef Extravaganza was second to none.



They treated me to brunch at The American Hotel in Sharon Springs. Allowed me to lounge, in whatever shape or form I was in, on their couch -- the three of us with laptops in hand, blogging, emailing, chatting, watching news and politics, listening to music. It was so low-key. So comfortable. So perfect.

I don't know what you call it. Divine intervention. Happenstance. Whatever. It was great. To have made a connection with those I'd never met before. Some said we were both crazy -- him for allowing me to fly across the country and stay with them sight unseen and me for wanting to do it! We both took a chance, lived adventurously, and tossed caution to the wind. We're both that way in that sense. But I can unequivocally say to the naysayers that they were 100% wrong. I can't exactly put my finger on it. But this is one set of friendships that will be around for a long, long time. And I am confident that my life is sweeter and more complete for having met them. So, to my good friends Sean and Jeffrey, tonight as you put your heads down on your pillows (sans me in the guest room) I want you to know what a beautiful impact you have made on my life. Like a meteor that crashed into earth and leaves a giant deep hole. That's what you've done. It'll be there for a long, long time. Saying Thank You seems shallow and trite. But it's polite. And it's horribly true. You're the best. My entire collection of photos is HERE. And Sean's collection is HERE. No blackmail, please.

13 comments:

Breenlantern said...

girl...don't you be trying to out-mush me...i swear im gonna put on lipstick and film myself singing "people who need people" and dedicate it to you, mascara running down my cheeks...

LSL said...

(Sniff.) This almost made me tear up. So glad you guys had a good time, and glad to know I have such cool people leaving (somewhat) near me!

Anonymous said...

OMG, the naked chef...the apron...the fact that their kitchen is cleaner than mine...

what a great trip; glad you threw the dice and the number 7 came up!

Ur-spo said...

it is nice to know blogging and the WWW can get souls together who might have never known each other.

Princess Lewis?
It sounds like a cousin to Princess Leia!

Lemuel said...

What a marvelous tribute to S&J!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems like the biggest "risks" can turn out to be the most beautiful happenings!

Tony said...

They sound like perfect hosts :-) I hope Sean wasn't cooking with oil there ... it could have turned out nasty ;-)

Laurie said...

So glad you had fun...It's great
when there are people out there who
treat others like family....


HUGS!!!!!!!

annie said...

our partnerships (old and new) are what give substance to our lives. you can tell the character of a person by looking at his/her partnerships. you ALL can be proud of who you are for the sterling friendships you've made.

oh, the lasagne! enough said.

Mark in DE said...

The joy and friendship are evident in your faces. So happy you guys had such a great time together.

Mark :-)

Will said...

Sharon Springs! I'm out in that country every summer when I go out to the Glimmerglass Opera Festival in Cooperstown. Gorgeous rolling farm country, great antiquing and lovely people.

And you found a couple of the loveliest people in the area from the look of things. You know, it says something about YOU that there are guys all over this country just waiting for the chance to have you come and stay with them.

Java said...

Ain't bloggin' grand?
So glad you had a fantastic time!!

Anonymous said...

I like this post very much. I have friends like this in Sydney...friends like I've never had before...or never gave them the chance to be. WE. Let's just say, I know precisely where you're coming from.