* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

Summer Heat -- One More Thing to Make Me Irritated

You certainly remember my short list of things that annoy me, don't you?? I've got another thing to add to the list. And no doubt you've heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder...right? The disorder that lends some people to depression and no energy during the winter months? Well, I don't want anybody to hate me or call me names, but I think I may have some sort of a summer version of it. There is such a thing, you know. I have never really thought about it too much. Weather just isn't something I wake up thinking about every single morning of my life. And I've never complained about rain or gray skies. In fact, I sort of like them..... And, don't get me wrong, I'd never beg for snow day after day all winter long..... but the summer..... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. You'd think that by this time in one's life, you'd have it all figured out.....but apparently not.

I've found myself actually irritated, agitated, when it gets sunny out. I mean, I like it and all....the sunshine. But I definitely don't like the heat of summer. Sun = Good. Heat = Bad. It's weird because so many folks, especially in places like Portland where it rains much of the winter, would slap the doo-doo out of me for complaining about nice weather. I love summer morning and nights...but afternoons, and the heat that comes with them, have always been my least favorite time of the day. I was at the beach today (yes, THAT beach) and enjoying it. But it wasn't long before I found myself wishing I were under a tree in the shade instead. I get irritated by bad drivers and silly people doing stupid things. I don't like to sweat. I can't stand being hot. I always need some good cool air flow. The air conditioner and I are tight. I think my favorite seasons are spring and fall, then winter, then summer....last.

Go ahead, hate me. Tell me I'm off my rocker. Make fun of me. It'll just irritate me more.

16 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

I second your list!

summer is my least favorite season for all the things you mention.

and I will add one complaint to the list - it bothers my asthma!

have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I hate the heat of summer-like you, my least favorite season. You are not along!

hh

Anonymous said...

oops, alone

Mark in DE said...

I can understand not liking extreme heat, but its only April. How hot could it have been at the beach the other day?

kristin said...

Actually, I totally agree with you. I like it sunny, but only around 72, and even then I carry a parasol.

r. said...

Yeah, I think we all agree that we don't prefer the scorching heat. But I lived in Phoenix for 3 years before, and at the time, I didn't mind and somehow I got along with it! It was in the mid-90's here in LA earlier this week, record-breaking heat! waaaah!

Happy Friday to you Arnie.

Breenlantern said...

The ONLY way to combat this is to spend a week by our pool, cooling yourself as needed by taking periodic dips, then lounging under the shade of our patio umbrella, as I, your host and houseboy, bring your refreshing icy colada drinks and light snacks; then, and afternoon siesta in our air cooled upstairs followed by nightly barbecues and skinny dipping in the cooler evening air...

Java said...

No argument here. I feel the same way. The bitch of it is that I live in South Carolina, where heat comes early and stays late. I want to get out of here.

Anonymous said...

I remember talking about your original list of annoyances when we shared lunch... and I echoed many of them! I love the sun... as long as it is not too hot... or too much in my face... etc. And especially when I can have almost no clothes on and be in a pool... oh yeh... and low humidity and a breeze occasionally and no mosquito. OK. Back to you...
Miss you! {HUGS}!! Wendy

Stacey said...

I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU. What was it, 80-some odd frikkin' degrees last weekend? Too damn hot. I swear I spend the entire month of August trying to figure out how to stay indoors, and NOBODY wants to be around me, I get so cranky.

My brother is the same way. He once moved to Arizona. When April hit, he hightailed it back to Oregon. He'd probably live in Alaska if his wife wouldn't throw a hissy over not being able to get a tan up there.

Steven said...

A colleague of mine would also second your thoughts on Summeer. If she gets too much sun, and I'm not talking "laying out at the beach" kind of sun, she quickly breaks out in hives. :-( I will ALWAYS love Summer, but there are times when I get terrible "heat headaches."

Rusty in Jax said...

My back porch thermometer read 100.7ºF yesterday, it is in the shade, it catches the relentless, bearing down, in your face sun. No shade since the damn hurricane knocked down my shady oaks last summer. Summer and the heat/humidity/bugs/lightning. I agree with you give me some cool weather. I don't like summer and I've been a major complainer about it here for years. But, what ya' gonna do?

Greg said...

I agree with you about the heat and Summer. I love the Summer, but can do without the sweltering sweaty mess.

Anonymous said...

Great new header pic. of you and Mason BTW!!

Ur-spo said...

I see seasonal affective disorder all the time - and it can happen in any season.

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I've never heard anyone else say this but I'm the same way. I'm happiest on a brisk fall/winter evening. Might sound kinda crazy, but when I think of a romantic setting I think of a little snow crunching under my feet, puffs of warm breath hanging in the air as we speak, warm coats with scarves and hats, and being arm in arm with someone special! Maybe its because we can then go back and warm each other up! ;)

I hate summer for the heat, and where I live we don't have air conditioners a lot of the time, I suppose the general consensus was that in the San Francisco Bay area it doesn't get hot enough, often enough, to justify it. I beg to differ! The sun is nice, but the heat AND THE SWEAT are most assuredly not!

Glad to see I'm not alone!