* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Did You Have Yours Today?


**** Disclaimer: This post will not be pretty, pleasant, nor enjoyable. If you're easily put off, grossed out, or offended, read no further....you have been duly warned ****

I am not sure how the whole thing started except that it did. Quickly. And it disintegrated even more quickly. Christmas day had been pretty pleasant. Hubby and me had prepared delicious pork tenderloin, garlic/Parmesan mashed potatoes, peas with pearl onions, and carrots glazed with lime juice, brown sugar, and chili oil. Fantastic. We loaded up the Sorento with the goods and both of hubby's brothers and headed to their mommy and daddy's house. It's much easier to take it there than to drag them out and about with all of their ills and such. Somewhere toward the end of the meal, the shit hit the fan. Now, for years this has been an unusual family in that they have made some sort of an issue out of bowel movements. (Remember, you were warned earlier.) BMs are discussed, at length (no pun intended). Did you have one? Does the dog need to have one? Can you pick up some prune juice for daddy? It's a bit off putting if you're not prepared for it. I typically stare into oblivion and wait/pray/hope for the moment to pass (no pun). And last night was no different. One of S's older brothers started by waving his hands in the air and making the statement, "Okay, I just have to get this all out in the open." Apparently, as a child he was traumatized by not being able to take BMs anyplace except at home. Some kids are just that way. (I, too, remember not wanting to show my little pee-pee off in the boy's bathroom at Taft Elementary School.....but I got over that quickly....but that's a whole other story.) He was recalling the moment when, as a child, he had his Ah-Ha moment just like Oprah promises. It was at Manuel's Restaurant in Old Town San Diego. Something about going to the men's room and, finally, being able to go poo-poo by himself without being at home. Wow, what a breakthrough. Apparently, Nana (grandma) used to make little T tell her what kind of BM he had in the bathroom: Was it a "plop, wipe, flush" or was it a "few little marbles." "Did you go chair-chair?" Then we digressed even further back to when our kindergarten teachers would want to know if you'd been going #1 or #2 when you left the classroom. They like to keep track of these things for some ungodly reason. I supposed to tell mom and dad if you've gone poo-poo or pee-pee during the day. As if there was some sort of a list being kept. My god, these people were messed up. And, it's not over yet. Now we have to talk about the dog who doesn't get walked outside like he should. Something about a lousy poor excuse of "it's raining" or "too cold" or something unreasonable. So, it's always an issue of whether the dog has gone, not gone, needs to go, or should go. Oh, and of course, we have to start the joking about "cut the crap" and "no shit" and other puns. It was lovely. It really was. It was a beautiful way to end a perfect holiday meal with family. Discussing shit. Dumps. Length. And the proper reporting procedure. I'm hoping for a breakthrough this next year. In fact, I've demanded it. I've given everybody until the 31st to graduate to the next higher level of discussion and communication. Shit Reporting 102 instead of 101. Whoo-wee. I can hardly wait to see what we'll come up with for 2007. Hope your holiday was a happy as ours.

21 comments:

Brad said...

Jeeesus! How disgusting. I hope you had plenty of cocktail to discuss this sort of topic.

SlyD said...

Ugh! My family is the same way... I thought it was just my family that did that. I feel your disgust.

Tony said...

ROFLMAO! Where I have I seen this topic comme up before? Admittedly Lewis it's come up at our family gathtering dinners, on occasion. Thank goodness not to the extent you describe. It's usually good for breakingin some conversation or laughter.

troy said...

Since I know your family, I can truly follow this. I guess each family has their own special topics that only they can relate to, something of a family secret. Thanks for letting me view your blog, always entertaining and insightful. Please keep it coming. My best to you and your hubby.

Sorted Lives said...

Your family sounds just like my family on my mother's side. I can remember vividly the conversations. Sadly, as a child, it did not bother me. Maybe that is what is wrong with me.

Kevin said...

What's brown and sits on a piano bench?

Beethoven's Last Movement.

HA!


Seriously, you need to read Sticky Crows (off my blogroll) today - 12/27. It must be going around.

Kevin said...

We would have had a blast! Guaranteed.

And I would be honored to have you roll me. BLOG roll me, that is.


I like innocent flirting and innuendo. It makes me smile.

Being naked makes me smile more.

tornwordo said...

Describing dumps is a favorite family pastime here too, lol.

Single Guy said...

Great to hear you had a good one! WE did too...and there was even no rain! Happy New Year!

Homer said...

Anal sex was the topic of conversation (briefly, by a straight woman) before Holiday Eve dinner...

Spider said...

Yea - if you discuss this topic again, PLEASE use Tornwordo's new word which is now my word of the week... "turdage"...

Anonymous said...

That Stinks!! (sorry had to!)
I must say we have never felt the need to discuss the motions of our innerworkings at the dinner table or anywhere else...However we have had to endure my Father's gas buildup many times & he is usually at his best when we have visitors over. No shame! This is the 1st time I have heard that "Shit Really Matters" and it not being used out of context...*winks*

Anonymous said...

in england it's a sign of good conversation and company if the conversation descends into one of three topics...

shit
death
sex

even amongst family. bonus points if you can get more than one topic into the conversation!

tak

T-Bird said...

Egads...Where I was for Christmas eve, we just laughed, ate whores ovaries, discussed the weather, kids, the recent threat of a law suit by an orthodox rabbi from Mercer Island that forced the Sea Tac International airport to remove their Christmas trees (followed by such a terrible public uproar that 24 hours later the rabbi backed down claiming that he never said what he clearly said, and back went the trees), a huge dinner with five wines, dessert, brandy, kids being silly and dog piling onto me (they always scope me out and quickly determine that I am the proverbial fun adult who still knows how to act silly) and then a round of gifts at the stroke of midnight. Nary a poot, nor a peep, and not even a doo-doo arose that evening.

One gift that I gave to the hostess was from my beloved mother who died this past spring. She had me buy it as a future Christmas gift shortly before she died for this kind person. I thought that I would not be able to handle being there when it was opened (I thought that I would lose it and start crying or something which is not my favorite thing to do – cry in public) but I did actually handle it well as it made her alive again in this world, if only symbolically so. There is one more such gift for the same person next Christmas. Generosity and kindness from the grave is a nice touch.

I must remember this one for when it is my time to leave. Delivering gifts to kind hearted loved ones from the great beyond.

Ryan said...

omfg this is 2 funny. funny what family will talk about.

Anonymous said...

My hubby would fit in perfectly. He always seems to bring up the discussion of Shit at just the perfect moments.

Drives.me.crazy.....

Wayne said...

That was a real shitty post!:)
Though happily I can say we didn't discuss that at our family dinner.
We always talk about the family members who didn't show up.

DEREK said...

i'M laughing my ass off right now, My brother-in-law actually thought he was going to fart and messed up his britches Christmas shopping with my sister the night I was babysitting the boys, Poor guy, I felt so sorry for him. HOpe ya'll had a wonderful Christmas, this was one funny entry. We have a stomach curse in my family I'll have to make a entry about one day.

S said...

How shitty.

Talking about poo at the table... sounds like my family.

Red Seven said...

Well, Miss Manners will tell you to stick to topics that everyone at the table can relate to, and well, y'know ... Everybody Poops.

Rose said...

Lewis:

Thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment.

When I read all of your disclaimers I thought I was in for a real doozy of a poop story. So I was getting ready to get to the point when I couldn't go any further...but it was pretty mild overall. (But don't get me wrong - I do feel for ya. I've just read many worse stories!)