* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Music and Passion

Knock it off! Stop the laughing, the jokes, and the snickering. Next Monday, we're going to see Barry at the Rose Garden. It's one of only two performances that he's doing this year outside of his full schedule at the Las Vegas Hilton. My first time to see him was in 1982 at Boise State University. We slept all night on the hood of my buddy's Camaro so that we could be one of the first in line for tickets. Two things I remember: My friend screaming "I love you, Barry" over and over and then "I'm not gay" Manilow himself riding out...perched, really....on the top of a gigantic pineapple to open the second half with Copacabana. He wore gray slacks and a red sweater. I went the next day and bought both in remembrance. (Again, stop laughing.) As I write this, S is ushering me into the next level of heaven with a collection of Barry's tunes on our grand piano. S is an amazing pianist...but he's a Barry virgin. Never seen him. And boy is he excited too....along with our good friend A who is coming along also. My second trip to see him was in 1986 at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas with my long-lost friend Rosemary. Her sister was singing backup with a choir for him on the song Weekend in New England. We sat in the theater, all dressed up for the dinner show, and then Barry crooned for us.....all night.....Wow. Nothing like an old style Vegas showroom. The thing I remember about that night was seeing Telly Savalas (anybody old enough to remember Kojak??) standing in front of the hotel. I marched right on over, put my hand out, and said hi. He was horribly polite as he shook my hand. And now next Monday. We're ecstatic. The dude is 60 or so and still an amazing showman. If you haven't seen his Vegas show yet (or at least the DVD) it's awesome. Tons of energy, dance, and music. It's so not old style Barry Manilow. It's Manilow on steroids. I'm guessing that we'll fit in well with the stylishly-dressed collection of gay men and 40-something couples with bangs and bleach-blonde hair that will be there. We're thinking that we need to have some sort of retro shirts or jackets for the big hoo-haa. Something tight, flashy, slinky, and sexy. Oh, maybe some velour too. So, laugh and cackle if you must. But we're stoked. From my first introduction to Barry (while driving along in the front seat of our 1967 blue Chevy station wagon listening to Mandy) in 1974 to now I've loved his music. The songs are so sappy, lovey-dovey and all of that. But they make you feel good, happy, and crazy in love by the end of the evening. And I'm all about feeling good....especially in this day and age.

21 comments:

SlyD said...

LOL! But hey, you love hearing him so it doesn't matter that he makes my ears bleed! ;-) Just a different generation here. Seriously though, I hope you all enjoy it and have a great time!!

Wayne said...

I'm certainly of that generation, But I'm with slyd here. Can't stand the sappy music!
But you go and ENJOY!

Sh@ney said...

I never really thought about it until now at this very moment, that Barry Manilow could very well be responsible for the destruction of the Ozone...Every GASperating tune that seeps from his daunting lips cant be good for the environment...On that note have a MARVELLOUS time sweety!...*winks*

"W" said...

So I guess you're a "Fan-ilow"? Will & Grace anyone?

Nothing wrong with a red sweater and gray slacks either!

My adventures said...

sounds like a hoot to me!!!

Greg said...

Enjoy the show! I hope he sings Could It Be Magic.

Brad said...

Okay, Kojak/Telly Sevalas, tre cool. Barry Manilow? Not cool at all, my friend.

But, if you like that schmaltz and it's your thing, have a great time.

I mean, Spider LOVES Barbara. I don't hold that against him at all...

Doug said...

Good for you! Have a blast!

TJ said...

I'm sure a good time will be had by one and all. Enjoy!

Matt said...

I'm not laughing, I swear. Really.

And actually, I have a soft spot for some Barry Manilow tunes ... what would life be without "Ready To Take A Chance Again" or "And When October Goes"? Not to mention "Copacabana". I can't tell you how many time I've had yellow feathers in my hair and my dress cut down to "there" ...

Seriously, enjoy! I actually think it would be a great concert. That's my generation too, ya know ... :)

Anonymous said...

Don't know if i would actually for tickets, but is does sound like it will be one hilarious night! have fun!

Kevin said...

I always think of the movie Foul Play and the opening song while Goldie Hawn drives along the coast in her VW Beetle.

(And, of course right now, I can't think of what song that actually is.)

Ryan said...

have a great time!

thanx also 4 your support!

Matt said...

Kevin - isn't it "Ready To Take A Chance Again"?

My adventures said...

i saw him on the today show and boy oh boy has he had work done... i wasn't sure though, he almost looked like he could melt.. take pics and keep us posted...

A Lewis said...

Yea, yea, I know....looks like something out of the was museum....but at least Minge, Doug, Greg, TJ, and (maybe) Matt will go with us....the rest of you will have to wait in the lobby. No cocktails or fancy retro clothes for any of you. Is is THAT wrong to know most of the words to most of the songs? In spite of the ridicule and hatred, I STILL LOVE YOU GUYS! Signed, BM

T-Bird said...

Hopefully that big hispanic screamer from last years's top 24 american idol semi finalists will not jump onto the stage and start up "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there She would merengue and do the cha-cha...".

I am sure we'll be seeing him headlining at one of the local latin boys drag clubs in the mission...not that I ever visited one (well, okay...someone dragged me in a couple of three or twelve times).

Brad said...

Lewis. Babe. This ain't ridicule! ;)

Spider said...

I am SO jealous - would LOVE to get to see Barry... and will you tell that Brad boy that comments here that it is Barbra NOT Barbara... those kids from Tennessee...

A Lewis said...

OK, boys and girls....TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! I wonder if he (she?) is here yet? Warming up down at the concert hall? I have totally spaced buying something slinky, sexy, and tight to wear. Now, Brad and Spider.....you kids just try to get along, please....or I'll have to pull the car over and spank you. I'll tell Barry hi for all of you closeted BM lovers (that doesn't sound very good, does it??....reminds me of my Christmas post).

ZenDenizen said...

I never thought I'd read Barry and Camaro in the same blog. I just found out that Daft Punk actually sampled one of his songs for "Superheroes."