* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Judas


Judas. One of the twelve disciples of Jesus who betrayed him for 30 pieces of silver. He identified Jesus to the arresting soldiers by kissing Jesus...."this is the one." There are two different graphic accounts of his death. Matthew describes it as a suicide by hanging. The Acts of the Apostles describes him falling down and his bowels gushing out. Pleasant, isn't it?

You know, I played Judas one year in the Easter cantata. I remember the scene well: I was to enter stage right, in the darkness, and -- hesitantly, of course -- taking the small bag of 30 coins from the priests....their payment to me for my kissing Jesus in betrayal. Draw out the agony, the fighting of my spirit as to whether I should take this bribery payment or not. And I did. Friday night, three times on Sunday, and again on Monday night. Year after year, I was a member of our 120-voice Singing Ambassadors church choir at Central Assembly Christian Life Center in Boise. We spent the three months before Christmas and the three months before Easter rehearsing for the full weekend of cantatas.

Easter was always a busy day. Up at 05:00am for the 06:30am sunrise service. Always held by the fountain in Ann Morrison Park along the Boise River. Sometimes the weather cooperated and brought an amazing sunrise. Other times, the temperatures were freezing and hinted at frost. After the sunrise service, we all headed out to the church for a pancake breakfast followed by two services Easter morning and another Easter evening. We were exhausted by the time the whole thing was over.

Ten years since my personal coming out, I never knew that my faith would be carried down the roads that it has. I spent 35 years of my life in the pews of churches across the globe -- in addition to my own. Padded, comfortable cushions. Ate, drank, slept at the church, as it were. The assistant choir director, youth group leader, helper at camps for the kids, worked in the church's hot dog booth at the Western Idaho State Fair, sang every single night at the same fair, filed music for the church choir, chose music to be sung, directed the band and choir, sang a solo or two, put together choreography and "moves" for the choir (nothing too "worldly".....remember it's "lips, not hips" when you're inside the four walls of the church). I did it all. And happily. And in the closet.

It's weekends like this that I think back to what my life used to be. Busy at the church. Preparing. Last-minute arrangements. Phone calls. It seems a little quiet now, sometimes. No more of that hustle and bustle. No more dealings with the in's and out's of the church business. I had no idea that my faith would be made so strong because of those many years of experience. I believe in a God of inclusion today. I think I did then, too, even though things were a little muddled up at that point in my life. One that hates anger, jealousy, indifference, and injustice. One that disapproves of separation, of division, and of walls. But one that approves of loving those who may not deserve it, of giving to those who don't have, of saying "I'm sorry" when it's your turn to.

Shortly after I began blogging, I received an email from a former friend, a member of the church in Boise. Someone that I knew, but was not particularly close to. It came as a total surprise and completely out of the blue. I thought that I had saved the email to include in a future blog post. But, apparently, it has been lost. Cindy was her name. She mentioned that she had found my blog and was sad and disappointed in the way that my life had gone. "That was not the way you were brought up," she said. She said that my parents brought me up differently than that....and that my parents had prayed for me. Also that she was praying for me. She thought that my post showed my struggle between right and wrong. She really let me have it. She essentially called me a Judas of sorts. What Cindy doesn't realize is that I turned out exactly the way that my parents had raised me. Happily.

I never did respond. I had about three different lines of thought that I was going to toss back at her. But I know that she is one of many whose faith is fragile and undeveloped -- a faith with limits. Afraid of being tested and tried. Afraid of the new and scared to death of the "different." And very afraid that our world, especially the world where I performed many Easter cantatas, has ventured so far from the good teachings of the God that we claimed to know so much about. The teachings of love over hate, of bringing hope to those who need it desperately, and of putting others first....even when it doesn't feel good. We're a long way from that today. And I'm a long way from those old days of Easter cantatas. I take my knowledge and the things I learned from that period of time for exactly what they're worth. A lot. I want no anger, hatred, or bitterness because of it. I can't afford it. I'm thankful for where I am today. And that the past is exactly that. And I'm well aware that the future is bright and full of light, hope, and good energy. I'm going there. I hope you will too. I'd love some company.

22 comments:

Dave2 said...

Besides, if you are filled with anger, hatred, and bitterness, the Easter Bunny won't visit your house! I don't know anything that's worth risking being passed over by the Easter Bunny! I wants me those Cadbury Eggs!

Stacey said...

I have nothing but respect for Christians like you turned out to be. My beloved auntie, who passed away last year, was this sort, and she could worship her God anywhere at anytime. In my experience, Christians like this are few and far between.

As a non-theist, (especially from such a fundamentalist background,) I find that I'm very sensitive to the other sort of Christian, they type who sent you that email, the kind who can't see goodness and happiness in the people who make a departure from their narrow world-view with its rules and trappings.

I found a beautiful sentiment in a photo essay this week. The title of the journal was "What they Dream and What they Do".

A young man named Amin, who is Persian, was asked what he dreams. At first he jokingly stated that he dreamed of owning a Ferrari. Then becoming serious, he said his dream was that one day our race is "human being", our religion is "humanity" and our nationality is "citizen of the world."

tornwordo said...

That letter would have bothered me to no end. Hope your Easter is happy!

Unknown said...

So glad you took the high road on that one! I was raised roman catholic and was always afraid of what would happen to me if I came out. As the years went by and my catholic schooling soon showed me, most of the priests in my life were gay and maybe this was the place we all went! Yes... I was going to be a priest once...

Anyway, I never went down that path but my mom and dad always told me to be myself and be happy. God would always be there for me no matter what I was. I was a good person and did so much for others that god could never not help me. They were right. I have had a good life and I am grateful for all of the blessings given me. I can not believe that God would treat me bad just because I was gay. He has always answered my prayers.

Keep up the good work Lewis!

My adventures said...

Great Post Lewis!!! It's amazing how many times I've heard in AA about how people's conflicting versions over God led them to alcohol and now they're more serene since they've discovered that the mean, hateful and disapproving God of their upbringing lead them to hide and drink!!! And, turning out exactly the way your parents raised you, happy!!! What a great line, that's what you should have sent back!!! Again, great post!!!

TigerYogi said...

It's so sad when people try to put limits and restrictions on God/Goddess/All That Is.

Happy Easter Hon!

P.S. There was a documentary recently about the "Gospel of Judas", a newly discovered "gospel" concerning the life of Jesus of Nazareth where Jesus PLANNED with Judus to have Judas betray him. Very interesting stuff...

Unknown said...

Happy Easter!!!

Michael Guy said...

How folks can compartmentalize their faith still amazes me...i.e 'love the sinner -- hate the sin' compassion?! Very thoughtful post, Lewis. It does illustrate that the only constant in life is change; you are light years beyond your past. And I will join you in that bright,happy future you speak of.

HAPPY EASTER!

Steve and Warren ~ said...

Happy Easter...thanks for stopping by our blog.

Red Seven said...

Jesus wasn't a hater. Period.

It's a shame that most of his followers didn't get the good news ... (can I get a witness?).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lewis. I can identify with much of what you say. Happy Easter!

Wayne said...

Where with you all the way!

Tony said...

Interesting post Lewis. I probably could respond but I think in this case I will refrain. Faith is hard to incorporate and live in our environment today. I will say onne thing...yes our God is a God of inclusion but we are bound by inherent laws and beliefs. We can question them as we chose but we will ultimately be held accountable for our choices. I'll end there. Great reflection though...we need to do that from time to time.

Minge said...

God loved the world so much that he gave us Jesus... And Jesus loved Judas so much that he asked him to fulfil the prophecy. I'm sure of it.

Anonymous said...

As someone who does not subscribe to a religious philosophy, it was a nice experience to read your words describing all the good and caring things which Christianity and a belief in God can manifest as. Especially when you have been so personally challenged with a faith of someone else's creation. Often, as you said, out of ones fear of their own lack of faith.

Great entry Lewis.

LSL said...

Lewis, I admire you putting it out there like this, and admire so much the person that you are. I cringed when I read about the e-mail from your former friend. I've received my share of those. Good for you for taking the high road and for being able to move forward with out anger. That's pretty amazing.

Beautiful post.

Unknown said...

you GO, my friend!

Billy said...

Love that you 'turned out' exactly as your parents intended - and no hate! Well done - loved catching up on your blog again. Have a fruity day!

Will said...

Lovely post, lewis and I wasn't surprised at a word of your personal philosophy from the rest of what I've learned about you from reading this blog.

For me, leaving the [Catholic] church in which I was raised and taught to hate and exclude was essential, to the point that I have left even the possibility of a deity behind.

What I progressed to is, for me, stronger and more meaningful, a more positive, life and spirit-affirming faith. It's bound up with Gay Spirituality and my belief that to have any validity at all, a faith must be inclusive and work to bring people together creatively and in peace, not drive them apart and into hostility.

D-Man said...

I'm proud of you and I love you.

Anonymous said...

Lewis, that was a beautiful post. I'm sorry that Cindy doesn't see God in you. It is hard sometimes to accept church teachings on the one hand, and what I personally feel God would do on the other. Since I have never met God personally, I am going to believe that He is a loving and all-inclusive God. When I meet Him face to face, he can judge me then for how I practice my faith. I don't think your life was ever a choice. I think it was the way God made you.

I recently went to Michigan to visit a friend and to go with her to a concert of one of our most favorite Christian artists. I had to tell her the real reason I went: I had talked to the music minister on the phone about the concert, and he had me laughing so hard during the entire conversation. He told me right off the bat that he was gay (how that came into our conversation, I have no idea). But he said his church accepted him and his partner, and I was so happy that he found a place that welcomed him and that let him use his talents that God had given him. He was such a great guy to talk to, that I told him any time there was a job opening I would love to go work for him. My friend didn't want to go to the concert when she found out he was gay. But she came, and after the concert we met Michael, and even my friend had to admit that he was a wonderfully funny guy and a pleasure to be around.

I guess I am just hoping that one day you will find a church that will welcome you and your partner, and that you'll be able once again to offer to God the gifts that He gave to you when He created you.

And I hope my fellow Christians, no matter what their denomination, will open their hearts and treat you with the love that you deserve as a fellow child of God.

T-Bird said...

You are a beautiful man, and are an inspiration to me to follow the better angels of my own nature.

Saw an A&E show this weekend called "Banned fromt the Bible II" that went into the sbripture that hit the cutting room floor. "The secret Gospel of Mark" floored me.