* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Procrastination


Are you a procrastinator? As I started into thinking about this post, I was going to tell you that I'm not. And, for the most part, I'm definitely not. I believe in getting things done. The only thing I hate worse than having to do something is the feeling that there's something that needs to be done that has not been done.....does that make sense? I hate things hanging over my head. Like the two gallons of paint that are at the top of our stairs...in our bedroom. The date on the top of the can? February 17, 2006. Yes, over a year it's been sitting there. It's actually been put into the closet at the top of the stairs now. Out of sight but not out of mind. No excuse, no reason.

For the most part, however, I am not a procrastinator. I am in love with getting things crossed off of my "to do" list. That's a feeling that makes the day better. I believe in putting things behind me rather than leaving them out in front of me to look at. Especially if they are unpleasant tasks. The days, weeks, and months seem to go so quickly and are so full of things that each of us must do. Every day seems to bring enough trouble of it's own. Rather than piling up yesterday's troubles along with today's, I honestly try to keep do things as they come up. The shorter amount of time they are on my to-do list, the better.
So, if you are a procrastinator, why are you? If you are not one, why are you not one? Who taught you what parameters you live by today in this regard? Do you wish you had been taught differently or are you happy with the way you are today?

Years ago, I heard someone say that there are three words that will guarantee that you're not a procrastinator and guarantee that your tasks are done on time:

"Do It Now."

Those three words are the single answer to solving procrastination. Simple, yet, truthful and the answer to solving procrastination issues. Now, where is that paintbrush? (I hope you'll enjoy the picture of our pink dogwood tree. It sits in our backyard and we love it.)

16 comments:

Dave2 said...

But I don't FEEL like doing it now.

I'll just wait until tomorrow. Maybe I'll feel like doing it then.

:-)

Jack said...

Alas I am.

I guess my situation doesn't help.

I'll usually start something and get distracted. I also want to do stuff when I can't.

Clean the yard, but it's raining. Do the dishes at 11 at night, but the roomate is asleep.

Things like that.

Hopefully things will get better.

I have a todo list for today, I'll keep you posted.

tornwordo said...

I'm a do it now person, but sometimes you have to Do Fun Now too.

Minge said...

Procrastination is the thief of time.

But you already knew that.

Have you heard "A man could get arrested" by Pet Shop Boys.

No? Listen to it. Do it now!

Steven said...

Guilty as charged, I'm a Do It Now person. I would say that my parents were most contributory to this. My first job out of college prepared me for that as well. I think it also relates to the compulsiveness I have and being "results-oriented."

Love the dogwood tree. Unfortunately the blossoms don't last very long. I have a bartlett pear tree which will hopefully be blooming soon. The blossoms fill up the tree just like your dogwood.

TigerYogi said...

I would have answered this posting sooner, but, I kept putting it off... ;P

Sh@ney said...

I am most certainly not, but my houemate is a prime example of the fore mentioned...And boy does it bug the crap outta me...I dont even think about "doing it now" because I have already fucking done it...:P Oopps sorry for the slip of the feral tongue!
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Why do today what someone else can do tomorrow??? LOL I am as guilty as guilty can be... oh and my "to do" lists? some if it I have already done. It just makes it look like I have actually done something today.

T-Bird said...

Lovely Dogwood pic. And color coordinated text on the post. You win princess points for this one!

Unknown said...

Well I am not but my husband is! I do everything as I think about it but my honey will always put things off. God bless him! He said he would do something about it tomorrrow.

Oh well...

Wayne said...

I'm a real do it now person if it's important, but a real do it later person if it's not.

altmike said...

You know Lewis it was so cool to be witness to your scheduling skills here in Orlando and how you keep up with all those APPOINTMENTS. "Do it now!"
...and do it over, and over again...
Bravo Lewis!

Christopher said...

My name is Chris, and I am a Procrastinator...bite me!

Michael Guy said...

I procrastinate. But I think it stems from my desire to be 'perfect.' So I put things off while I think about how I can get the best results or give my best efforts. Make sense? I need to go think about this comment now. Yep.

D-Man said...

I am a serial procrastinator, but not with all things (I NEVER procrastinate with anything having to do with finances...) You really made me think about it, and I think it's because I get easily overwhelmed. I'll then let it go until it becomes URGENT and I absolutely have to do it. This adds way too much stress, but provides the ultimate motivation. I've been working on focusing on one small part of the task at a time, instead of the whole daunting task.

Doug said...

Joel's comment rings true for me: many times, I "feel" like doing things that can't be done at that moment. I think it's a game my subconscious plays with me.

Some things I can do when they need to be done. Too many other things get shelved for an endless tomorrow. It's something I've struggled with and want to get better at, and I have gotten a little better, but not as much better as I would have liked. (nice run-on sentence with poor grammar, eh?)