* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, April 20, 2007

Discrimination? Not Here!


Today we woke to this headline in The Oregonian. I knew it was coming. It has been since the 1970s. 34 years to get anti-discrimination legislation passed in what has been a relatively blue state. Me and McDonald's were joined at the hip early this morning after a CT scan on my sinuses. McGriddle with bacon and cheese, hash browns, OJ, a cinnamon melt (if you haven't had one, you need to...just one) and a coffee....cream and sugar, please. And there it was....the headline poking its way into my early morning. Before I could stoop down and take a look through the paper vending machine, my eyes were wet. Totally wasn't expecting that (the moist eyes or the legislation). My favorite quotes out of the article were these: "To complete a struggle that has gone on for so long was a feeling of relief and of satisfaction that Oregon is a better place today than it was yesterday." "There are a lot of Oregonians who feel a lot better about living in the state today." Oregon is the 18th state to pass such legislation. Not that we ever have experienced it, but we'll soon be able to go into restaurants or theaters here and not fear being kicked out because we're of the same sex. Yes, it still is legal to throw someone out of a movie theater, restaurant, or other public setting in more than half of the states. It does have a religious exemption, however. Businesses that are church-run can still boot us out on the street....that's why we don't frequent placed like Elmer's. Too many church overtones in spite of good food and they contribute plenty of money to anti-gay causes in our state. There is still a motel near our home that is run by Eastside Foursquare Church. They will be able to continue turning away same-sex couples. (I think they're supposed to feel good about being able to do promote hate.) Please, don't frequent this motel or it's associated coffee shop. So, I hope you'll join us in celebrating today. Take a look at the article and enjoy. It happens so seldom in this nation anymore. Let's bask in the glory for a while. Okay?

Here's another article from today's Oregonian. Judy Shepard, the woman well-known as Matthew Shepard's mother, came to visit Jesuit High School students this week. They are preparing to present The Laramie Project next week. It's really monumental considering the conservative nature of the school. They have launched a program called "Crusade for Respect." I would throw my arms around them if I could. Mrs. Shepard says that "Hate is a learned behavior. I blame society for teaching people it's OK to hate." Today, I applaud them. They are doing their best to put an end to hate right where they live. Are you?

14 comments:

K-A said...

Wow, what wonderful news! Raise an extra glass of wine on my behalf tonight.

Um, I'm not to sure about that McDonald stuff. Ick! ;)

Steve and Warren ~ said...

We went to Culvers last night for supper...Lewis there was enough grease in the meal to satisfy 50 men who needed lube.

:-) Thanks for stopping by.

I'll take #1 and #3..and I did deserve a break today!

Enjoy and take care ;-)

ericopia said...

That's amazing. My last act as an Oregon citizen was to submit my absentee ballot for the Son-Of-9 measure back in 1994. (I was mid-move, literally halfway between Oregon and Florida on election day.) It's great to see the distance made from the attempt to declare homosexuality to be "immoral and wrong."

Stacey said...

Excellent. It's about time. I had no idea about Choice hotels, or Elmers. Excuse me, I have a reservation to cancel.

Dave2 said...

You know, as good as this news is, I am pretty upset that "church-run" businesses are exempt. Can they also ban "people of color" from staying in their hotels or eating in their restaurants? What about women? Can they throw women out of their establishments?

Not that I would want to patronize any business that would discriminate against anybody anyways, but still...

Doug said...

That is just phenomenal!

And I'm with k-a: no Mickey-D's for me, please.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the 21st century!! It is nice to know that some of those people "down South" are coming along to our way of thinking.

Brad said...

I just want to point out that you skinny folks can not only eat breakfast, but can eat whatever the hell you want at said meal as well!

Geez!

Good news there in Oregon though, thanks for passing it on.

Anonymous said...

What can I say... Congratulations on a new found Freedom. Let's hope the other states will follow soon.

D-Man said...

Eat a Beaver and Bravo the McGriddle State... uh, I mean Bravo Beaver State and eat a McGriddle!

TigerYogi said...

That is fabulous news! Now get started on legalizing gay marriage! ;)

T-Bird said...

Nice post. Thanks.

Trailhead said...

It's about fricking time. Yay!

Even though it doesn't go far enough.

LSL said...

Just catching up on my favorite friends and this gave me chills. It's long overdue, everywhere but especially in Oregon. I've always felt a little confused and ashamed that my wonderful Portland didn't lead the way with marriage equity and non-discrimination measures. This is a real victory.