* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Answer in the Sky


I'm sad. Very sad. I climbed into bed last night and stared. Just looked outside at the night sky through the open window. The crickets were chirping which is one of my all-time favorite sounds. And today, in the supermarket, it hit me. Very. Very. Hard. Answer in the Sky came on, one of Elton John's diddys. And the faucet opened up. Right in front of the cold cereal. And then again in front of the mixed nuts and chips.


Well they say that it's a fact

If you watch the sky at night

And if you stare into the darkness

You might see celestial light

And if your heart is empty

And there's no hope inside

There's a chance you'll find an answer in the sky

Well they say that it's a shame

If you have nothing to believe

And if you can't hold on to something

You might as well die where you sleep

You don't need a prayer

And there's no price to ask why

Sometimes you'll find an answer in the sky

And it's all so much bigger than it seems

And it all overwhelms us now and then

And I'm banking on a chance we believe

That good can still control the hearts of men

Sometimes you'll find an answer in the sky

This life's a long old road

We shouldn't have to walk alone

But if you find the right companion

You won't feel so worn out when you've grown

All life is precious

And every day's a prize

And sometimes you'll find an answer in the sky.

\

It's so unusual for me -- the strong one, the oldest, the reliable rock, the one who is turned to so often. I know the buzz words, the phrases, the right words to say to others....and even hear them inside of my head and heart. It doesn't matter. I must say honestly, my heart is broken. Snapped like a twig at the horribly serious things I have no answers for or ability to fix.


28 comments:

T-Bird said...

Lewis: What has happened? I hope this is just the infamous "mid life crisis" beginning, but I sense it might be more. Much, much more.

Write me and I will respond confidentially.

Steve said...

Lewis, I'm sorry. Email me if you want or need to. I hate knowing that anyone is sad.

LSL said...

Hey, thinking of you my friend.

Ur-spo said...

although it is painful; be with it and try to work through it to see what lessons can be learned
and remember
you have many people thinking of you.

T-Bird said...

I emailed my reply. Good cheer to your and to yours.

Billy said...

Thinking of you here in my little space in the world!

daveincleveland said...

thinking of you and hugs comin your way from cleveland...if you want to talk e mail me.....always have a good ear for listening

tornwordo said...

Sometimes you just have to sit with the hurt. Another of the myriad experiences we can have here on earth, better to embrace it than reject it. That said, I hope you are in better spirits today.

bardelf said...

Just be, man. Let it flow, let it out. Even the strongest of us have to experience pain, sadness, and despair sometimes. It's what makes us human.

If you can find a copy of Thomas Moore's book, "Care of the Soul", give it a read. You might find it quite helpful.

Sending you a sincere, heart to heart hug.

Jack said...

What?!
Where?!
When?!
How?!
Why?!

There's room in my caboose, come and rest for a while.

e-me!?

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read of your pain, sadness, and turmoil. As I have followed your trail here and through the blogs of so many who count you as their friend, I know that you have meant so much to so many. My prayers go with you as you work through this time.

If it is of any consequence, reading your post this morning and listening to the Answer in the Sky, it was as if you were the herald of the message that I need(ed) to hear. I am sitting here, listening, reading, with tears. Thank you. In sharing your pain, you have helped me with mine.

My adventures said...

when i get blue, i start singing in my best ethel merman impersonation, "GREY SKIES ARE GONNA CLEAR UP, PUT ON A HAPPY FACE!!!" if that doesn't work, i fire up a doobie!!! good luck!!

TigerYogi said...

Whatever it is, you're in my thoughts and prayers Hon...

Steven said...

Thinking of you, Lewis and I hope that we can help you work through your pain and sadness. ((((Lewis))))

Anonymous said...

Like Torn says, sometimes you just have to "sit with the hurt". I've done a lot of that this past week ... and cried with it ... and yes, looked for the answer in the sky. Beautiful, resonate words. They brought me a measure of comfort.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are so upset... just remember what I always think of...

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others" - The Wizard of Oz

And you know what?... we all love ya!

Hugs from Orlando... Chris

K-A said...

Hugs from Savannah.

TJ said...

Not sure what is taking place in your world but what ever it is I hope you can make sense of it and hopefully it will pass. All I can offer from this end is a (((Warm Hug))). Which is presumptuous of me but I figured what could it hurt. Take care...if you need an unbiased, ear with no vested interest other than to offer support, again I'm just offering.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it hits us out of the blue. There is a growth occurring, somewhere. Just keep telling yourself, "WHEN I make it through this I will be BETTER than before." Love you, Lewis, here is you need.

Anonymous said...

Lewis, just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

dpaste said...

Since I was where you are just a few months ago (although I don't know the specifics of your present sorrow), all I can say is you have to ride it out and give yourself permission to be as weepy, pissy, anti-social and uncooperative as you need to be. So sorry to hear you are in a bad way.

Brettcajun said...

Sorry you were feeling down boo. BIG HUG. I'll give you a little TLC if you need it. Too bad you live so far away from me. You take care of yourself and know that tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Stacey said...

I'm sorry you were feeling down. I hope today is better after enjoying the eclipse.

Greg said...

Sorry your mood's on the downswing. Sending big hugs your way!

Michael Guy said...

Oh, Lewis! I'm arriving late to your post.

We can't change 'things.' We can only change our reactions. I'm sorry you have hurt in your heart.

You've cheered my soul many a day. So today I want you to know that you have a HUG from Chicago. Always, Lewis; there's no expiration date on that.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetums, please don't be sad. It's okay to cry. You know I'm here for you. And remember... YOU ROCK!! ;)

Matt said...

Lewis, I'm so sorry, I just read this tonight. Whatever it is that's making you feel this, I hope it gets better. We do all love you. E-mail me if you need to. I'm thinking of you, my friend.

D-Man said...

My dear friend, I am late to this post, and for that I am sorry.

Crises of the heart and soul MEAN THAT YOU ARE ALIVE. Hold on tight, my dear - this too shall pass.

The notion of "catharsis" can be a VERY therpeutic tool. So,
my prescription for you is to get a blow-up doll of George Bush and beat the tar out of it.