* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Of Dolls and Purses

Looking back 30-35 years through my middle-aged eyes, I can't believe the virtual countless times in my mischievous growing up years when things weren't quite right. Just a little off. We all write about it from time to time -- and I've done my fair amount of sharing childhood experiences. But as I look around in this horribly progressive year 2007, and see genders from all sides of the fence carrying purses, bags, satchels, man purses, "European Carry Alls" and the like, I am reminded of a deep, dark secret from my very early formative years. Must have been close to 1968, first grade, or so. Now, as I've reminded you often, remember that this was Idaho.

I carried a purse. There, I've said it...and it's out in the open. For the laughter and finger pointing. My mom had numerous purses that she switched back and forth between depending on the season, mood, and outing. (Gentle reminder to all of us, no white after Labor Day.) I don't know if it's one that I borrowed from her, or that she had given to me to play with, but I had it in my possession. Brown vinyl -- well, maybe it was fine Corinthian leather, but I don't think they sold that at Sear's. It had a single compartment with a gold latch right at the top of it. And a nice matching brown handle for carrying. I don't think it was a long enough handle to go over my head and shoulders....so I'm pretty sure I just carried it in my hand. And, at age 5 or 6 and such a short height, it must have damn near reached the dirt road that we lived on. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I probably didn't allow it simply to hang in my hand, dangling. I probably clutched that sucker for all it was worth to my chest. Probably partially for fear someone would see it and partially for fear that I'd dirty it if it hit the street.

I remember at least one particular time going over to my friend Mike's house a few blocks away (the only Democrat family I knew in the late 1960s in Boise). I remember the giggles, the "what are you carrying a girl's purse for?" questions, and the "You're a boy....you're not supposed to have a purse." Oh, wasn't I? I was pretending to be a byproduct of the just recently past 1967 Summer of Love. A man of means and progress. And just to prove it......I carried a doll inside the purse. And there was no hiding that when the purse was ripped from my hands by my more butch friend, the latch undone, and dolly.....laying very still, pensive, in the bottom of the purse. I'm sure she was as scared as I was.

I still don't see what the problem was.

24 comments:

TigerYogi said...

"Gentle reminder to all of us, no white after Labor Day.."

Thank God that there are those who still follow this golden rule!! :)

P.S. I don't see what the fuss was all about either... ;)

K-A said...

What was the doll wearing?

Sh@ney said...

I am not going to laugh, *bites tongue* But I kinda understand you! The other night while having dinner with my Sis at my parents place, conversation turned to the younger years and my sister said I preferred to play with trucks when I was a kid. And I promptly turned to her and said, "Thats because I was already playing with your dolls" Hence is gave reason for the table to burst into fits of laughter. But it was the truth. I didn't have an interest in purses & I soon discovered how cool it was to use my sisters dolls as 'crash-test-dummies' Besides wanna talk about strange: I used to put a face on the head of a mop and pretend it was my friend. It even had pig tails!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I was ALWAYS the mommy during dress up in play school.... LOL!!!!!

Mike said...

I am too butch for this crowd. And that's saying something.

;-)

Christopher said...

OMG...You are so Gay!

:: checks reflection in man-purse's mirror ::

Will said...

I had an incredibly tiny teddy bear. I made him a traveling bed out of an old men's cuff link box, the type that snapped shut. I made tiny sheets and blankets and made him a tiny nightshirt. Whenever we traveled, he came along. At night I'd put him to bed, close the box and slip it under my pillow.

None of my friends ever saw him. They saw other things, and that was enough.

Steve said...

hmmmmm, and I thought I was warped for taking a magic marker and drawing butt cracks on all my stuffed animals. My Mom asked why I did that and I said something like, "Well everyone has a butt, and they don't, so I gave them one." Her tone was very displeased. And it's oftentime the attitude/demeanor which sticks with us; more than the words. Thos subtle cues that what we're doing is wrong & abnormal. Incidentally, I still have one of those animals. A snoopy with a faded, black buttcrack LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh Lewis,

You were ahead of your time!

Someone sent me a link to William Sledd's latest video, all about the "murse". While I admit to having a few chuckles, if I'm not in a very dull business meeting (that's the corporate uniform with black attache case), I have various and sundry messenger bags or other shoulder bags that I carry my "essentials" in. Besides, who wants bulging pockets? (don't touch that!)

And when I was in my 30s and going through the whole braces period, the damnedest things would get caught in the brackets and wires, so I had a small compact with a few bracket brushes to make sure that there was nothing gross caught in them before going into a meeting.

And as my former VP used to say, "well hell, dress me up and call me Brenda!"

Billy said...

OMG - you are such a butch thing you are! LOL

Having said that, my fondest memories from childhood was playing with my two sisters and their Barbie Dolls! I always insisted that I was the mega bitch from Dynasty or Dallas...

Makes one wonder...

tornwordo said...

And the doll was named...? I hear I toted a purse as well, but I don't remember it.

bardelf said...

Guys carrying purses makes so much sense when you think about it. For that matter, so does men wearing kilts and skirts.

You were (and remain) such a trend-setter, Lewis!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what it is about a purse that makes a guy so susceptible to ridicule. It seems to me that girls have all the options and rights. If she plays with trucks or goes in for sports, that's ok. But let a boy indulge in domestic issues, well, that is plain wrong. A girl dresses in male clothing that's ok, but, a boy in a skirt? Makes you wonder who has all the freedoms.

Steven said...

Well at least your friends didn't know at the time that the doll was from the "Billy dolls" collection. ;-)

It brings back memories of dressing up as a woman for Halloween. I had to have been in 6th grade. Thanks for sharing.

dpaste said...

I was never mad for purses, but I did love my mother's pair of zebra print high heels.

savante said...

Hardly middleaged yet :) But the purse is a bit iffy :P

S said...

Was it a Barbie or Ken doll?

D-Man said...

I would KILL for a picture of that... You've inspired a blog entry... when I get to it...

Mad William said...

Good for you!

The whole gender division for things is silly. Anyone should be able to use, play with or carry anything they want.

On a side note:

One of my favorite toys as a child was an easy bake oven. Do you know that you can not buy an easy bake oven in any color but pink? What's with that? Like it's only for girls?

Unknown said...

Well I think it is wonderful! At least you did not run around the house in your mothers heels... oh wait... that is what I did....

I also had a pink elephant that I toted around. As I got older, I enjoyed my G.I. Joe dolls which all had a crush on my sisters Barbie dolls which I enjoyed dressing up. Ah the good old days...

Rick Rockhill said...

I think a subtitle of the post couild have been "Guys and Dolls"

"W" said...

I love my new chocolate brown man bag. It rocks!

I never put a doll in my purse as a child, but I did enjoy playing with my sister's Dolly Parton doll and a barbie with just one arm.

Wayne said...

no purses for me.....but I did play with my cousins dolls!

Lacey said...

I had a doll, kept at grandmother's house. She was black. She was called (the N word-baby). Which is a whole other thing from this. When my dad found out about N-baby, he pitched a fit and I was forbidden to visit grandmother for a long time. It occurs to me now that I was taught to be racist, as well as butch. It was a whole different world then.