* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Saturday, August 09, 2008

39 MPG Anyone ??



Anybody else care to join the "Upper 30's MPG Club"? You'll recall that I asked you all about this a while back. And it's finally happened. These are very difficult to find cars. This one came onto the car lot at 11:30am and was ours by 3pm. Wild! It's beautiful and an excellent ride. Plus, the Hybrid technology is very cutting edge -- really teaches the driver how to accelerate, coast, brake to achieve the best MPG....you can actually see what your slightest movements on the accelerator pedal are doing to your MPG. So, the tank should get us around 550-600 miles instead of the 225-250 we were getting. Plus, it's emissions are far less. It's all over and tucked nicely into our parking garage.

Today is our old neighborhood's block party. It's rained a little over night and not overly warm, but tolerable (sounds like most of the year here in Oregon, quite frankly). We're taking the tortellini pasta I talked about the other day (only this time I'm turning it into a cold salad). Plus, we're taking a yummy, horribly easy, and horribly white trash dessert -- just put two bags of your choice of frozen fruit in a greased baking dish and add a box of your favorite cake mix to the top, dry with no water. Bake 350 for about 45 minutes (depends on the water content in the fruit you've used). I'm using chocolate fudge cake mix with one bag of dark cherries and one bag of peaches. We're expecting close to 75 people....maybe a few more than last year.

Wishing you all happy returns and a great weekend. From Portland, I send you happy Hybrid dreams!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on the new car! That is super!! Looks so sleek! I bet you guys are in hog heaven! New home, new car, good friends! More power to ya! :)
My little Jetta TDI gets about 40-45 MPG, and up to 620 miles per tank. Love it!

Happy Saturday!

PS- I think I will be trying that dessert soon! :)

martin said...

Cool car. Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's great! I think it's just wonderful that everyone is going to Hybrids and more fuel efficient, hopefully it helps out your pocketbook but also the environment!! :) Congrats on the new car!1

Grego

Anonymous said...

I want a hybrid as well. I rented one while working in Vancouver and I was blown away by the impact that LCD displaying your MPG has on your driving habits. I have to get a new car in nine months (my lease is up) and the Prius is high on my list. Great purchase Lewis.

Joie Mayfield said...

Very nice car! :) Have a great weekend!

Laurie said...

I need to get me one of those in
truck style. Right now my mini van
gets about 39 miles per tank :(
with my lead foot.

I know I should slow down but, it's
just hard for me to do.

HUGS!!!!!

Wayne said...

I wish my mo-ho was a hybrid!
I get over 500 miles per tank, but it's a 75 gallon gas tank! And at 7-8 mpg, lets just say, I try to justify it by no hotel rooms or dining out!

LSL said...

Beautiful, beautiful new car! I love hearing about your new lifestyle - very inspiring.

RAD said...

Congrats on the new car...... Downsize house and green car too! Good boys!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been noticing this turn toward delicious foods and recipes that you are sharing which are making me hungry. Congrats on the new car. Nice color, too!