* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, August 01, 2008

A Day In The Life -- Up, Up and Away!


3:55am Alarm goes off. Shower and adorn self with blue polyester

4:40am Out the door

5:00am Riding employee bus from parking to terminal

5:25am Required check-in time -- make sure manual is up to date, safety briefing with crew

5:45am The first pretty passenger faces of the day arrive on board

6:25am Boarding door closed, pushback begins, 65 passengers

6:30am In the air, runway 10 left

6:50am Starbuck's coffee and other beverages being served, try and be pleasant

8:03am Touchdown on runway 30 in SJC

8:10am Fold blankets, tidy cabin, call honey at home

8:40am Next group of passengers boards, 85 on board this time

9:03am Forward boarding door closed, pushback begins

9:07am Off the ground

9:30am Jone's Soda and Starbucks being poured liberally

10:27am Touchdown on runway 10 right in PDX

10:40am Everyone off, cabin clear, doors are disarmed

10:50am On the employee bus back to the parking lot

That's been much of my life over the past few months. Occasionally I toss SNA, DEN or PHX into the city mix for a little variety. But SJC is our shortest day and gets me home quite early. I haven't been on an overnight trip for quite a while with the move and doggy day care issues. But soon, they will be returning. And, I must happily admit, it beats sitting at a desk or staring at a clock all day -- tick tock, tick tock. And of course there is the myriad of other issues that must be dealt with from time to time: Unaccompanied children traveling alone, passengers in wheelchairs, carry-on bags, weather issues, mechanical troubles, making sure my required manual is up to date ($2,000 fine if it is not), hotel vans, wake-up calls, changing aircraft at the last minute, lavatories that don't work, tequila from Mexico leaking in the overhead bins, children kicking and screaming (adults too!), wrinkle cream applied liberally to face for those early wake-up calls, dealing with fellow crew members who have chosen to have bad attitudes and don't want to work, running (for the umpteenth time) to the galley for hot water (tea) or decaf (usually don't have it on the trolley). And the list goes on. But, again, I'm grateful. It's a job. And a good one at that.

23 comments:

Mark in DE said...

I dated a FA many years ago, and it sounds like the routine hasn't changed much, if any. Glad you're happy doing what you do. That's more than a lot of folks can say.

Mark :-)

RAD said...

Glad to hear you like what you do-Sounds like you got it down and it fits in with your lifestyle and needs which is most important. If I am ever on one of your flights Im going to pinch your butt in you blue poly! :-)

Anonymous said...

WHEW! Sounds exhausting! And always keeping a smile handy along with whatever special request is made of you. I can't believe how huge the fine is for not having your manual up to date! WOW!

Tony said...

That sounds painful. But then again, so is flying trans-atlantic overnight. Swings and round abouts, I suppose :-)

It is a cool job :-)

Victor said...

Nice posting. I enjoyed the airport website links.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never realized what you did, actually never thought of it. That sounds like a fascinating job. Do you ever do international? (Besides México)

Adiós,
Greg

Birdie said...

Are you allowed to choose which flights you get? No wonder you like your job! And that always shows in the service you give, too. (Conversely, you can always tell who hates his job.) So glad to hear how contented you are.

Tony (LT) said...

Even though I knew what you do, I had no idea that it was essenyially the same round trip day after day. I guess I figured you woer just bouncing all over the world..or at least the country

tornwordo said...

5-11 is my dream schedule. But I'm too tall to do what you do. True story.

Java said...

The whole thing sounds pretty sweet, mostly. I might have trouble smiling at everybody all the time, but the thing that would be most difficult is having to wear polyester. I despise polyester.

savante said...

Serving Starbucks in planes? I need some of that!

Jimmi said...

I love that you documented your day. I hope you can toss PHX in the mix again soon!

Hope all is well
Jimmi

Laurie said...

I couldn't do your job.

HUGS!!

WAT said...

Yes, definitely a job u can't be late for. I get it, I get it.

travelling, but not in love said...

Sounds like a great lifestyle to me. And like you really love it too!

The crew on Air France and Air Calin during my trip were lovely. Really funny and genuine - which is a rare thing for Air France.

And there was a Steward on Air Calin who could have served me dog food on stale bread and I'd have eaten it. Boy, he was beautiful....

Ur-spo said...

traveling these days is now fun
I am glad though your entry ended the way it did; your cheerful approach will make for a long life for you - or at least a pleasant one!

Anonymous said...

A very good day indeed! And a nice short commute to work which is nice. You'll have to elaborate on what this "manual" is. Unless TSA says that's prohibited. A $2,000 fine is quite hefty.

Anonymous said...

You need to add IAD to the mix, although that wouldn't be a round-trip-in-a-day like you describe here.

Anonymous said...

Never having been (or dated) a FA, your description of a typical day pretty much sounds like what I would expect. Not exactly as glamorous as the brochures, eh?

Wayne said...

Except for the early rise, not tooo long a day. But I understand with dealing with the public!

dpaste said...

I had no idea that's what you did. Sounds like it fits you well.

dpaste said...

I just realized how your blog title fits your life. I always wondered.

Anonymous said...

i have tried in vain to log one of my days but i am so fucking busy it just seems impossible.....however if I am fortunate enough to get an iPhone or an iTouch I am sure that will help me out.....

btw - dont you feel so hot and sexy in blue polyester --- i know i do - have to wear extra tight underwear to hide "it". ;-)