* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Festivals Abound in the 'Hood




I swear, living this new condominium lifestyle has led to nothing but visitors, good times, coffee and lunch out, meeting new neighbors, and festivals. Yesterday was no exception. Our neighborhood hosted its annual Fremont Fest 2008. Every store was open and giving away free gifts, holding drawings, tons of good food, and people, kids, and dogs everywhere. There was a parade which included maybe 200-300 kiddies dressed up like Sponge Bob or Hello Kitty along with pets which clearly didn't admire their tin-foil wings that had been added to their backs for effect. Oh, and the Clydesdale horses gave free rides up and down the street all day long -- which scared the hell out of Mason. It was a fantastic way to welcome us to the Beaumont Wilshire-Fremont area and confirmed to us that we've made a great decision to live in this neighborhood.

After that, we headed back to our old 'hood since we'd been grandfathered in to our former neighbor's annual Rib Fest whereby eight individuals bring their homemade ribs. They are judged and the winner given a throne upon which to sit for the upcoming year. I made my white bean and charred onion salad along with Oregon blackberry shortcake. And of course since there were ribs and meat involved, the evening wouldn't have been complete without plenty of Hehehe jokes surrounding the rubbing of one's meat -- including the obligatory t-shirts. Oh, and did I mention the handsome good-friend-and-bartender making Key Lime Martinis? I swear, these are some of the nicest friends ever to keep us involved in spite of the fact that we ditched their street for another. Next week, we go back to the same great former street for the second annual block party.

18 comments:

Dave2 said...

Alas, I'm a vegetarian, and unable to make an educated suggestion as to what might work best with your meat...

RAD said...

Good times! I rub my my meat with "ONO" seasoning that I get in Hawaii...Oh... you meant that meat? Well Duh...how about I just say "Spit".

H. Alan Scott said...

i love that sort of lifestyle, where you actually know your neighbors and what not.

Tony said...

Those Key Lime Martinis look lush! Your new hood sounds lovely. Those kids must have been adorable. I have a Hello Kitty costume but that's another story ...... As for my meat, I use adobo from Puerto Rico. It's yummy. Hope you're having a ncie weekend :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!!! :)

Grego

r. said...

I either use Astroglide or Wet and I really prefer water based and... oh OH!!! McCormick! yeah that!

Laurie said...

I hope you had a drink or 3 for me.
I'm in need of one.


HUGS!!!

Sorted Lives said...

Glad you are having such a great time. See you soon

Java said...

Sounds like great fun. Nice to have friends old and new. The new neighborhood sounds like a very nice place.

WAT said...

You two are so cute sipping yer martinis! I just wanna run up to ya and squeeze those cheeks! Um, the ones on your face though right?

travelling, but not in love said...

Hey Lewis, I'm back from holidays and coming round to harangue you!

I rub my meat with sun tan lotion, mainly. Any chance you could be a doll and put some on my back for me?

Rick said...

Lewis that martini is too big for you. Don't you look all cute and innocent. Glad you're enjoying the good life. No chores or yard work to do on weekends now huh?

Ur-spo said...

that all sounds like jolly good fun.
i have several meat rubs; they are quite lovely.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you're having a good time with the new neighborhood and still welcomed back at the old stomping grounds. As long as the new residents of your old house don't start mentioning issues about the old castle. ;-) Did you ever meet them or was everything handled through real estate agents and attorneys?

Anonymous said...

Hmm... my last comment just disappeared into space! Anyway, it all sounds so fun and delicious! What a wonderful life and love!

daveincleveland said...

what a great time that must have been...and then the rib roast....sounds like a blast...good for you guys...have fun

Rick Rockhill said...

mmm those martinis look refreshing! nice photos of you boys too

Mark in DE said...

Nice to hear you're settling so well into the new chapterin your lives. Enjoy!

Mark :-)