* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I Just Can't Take It Anymore a.k.a. The Spirit Meets Idol Eyes

I just can't take it anymore. The getting laughed at. And that's precisely why I'm leaving today for Albany, New York. To see this dude and his husband of many years. In fact, my own hubby and I are within two days of being together the same length of time as these guys are. Eleven years. And anybody whose been together THAT long will tell you that there are days it seems like the time flies by and other days that seem like the movie "From Here to Eternity." I told hubby that I'm outta here....going on a vacation....alone. And I swear, he thinks I've lost my mind. Going completely across the country to actually stay with people you've never met. Yup, that's what I need a little more of in my life. Adventure. Spirit. And Spunk. I also told hubby that I'd send for him, the household belongings, and the pooch when I've found work in NY. (Reality says that I'll actually be convincing Sean and his hubby to move out West to Portland....shhh, don't tell him my ploy!).

I've been meaning to write for some time now about my getting laughed at. Well, sometimes it's more closely related to a giggle or snicker....but many times it's a full-blown laugh. Right straight at me. You see, he thinks that I say things "funny." Or that I use strange phrases or words to describe certain things/events/procedures/whatever. He'll even ask me to repeat certain things that I've just said. For an extra rib-tickling giggle. Or he'll lead me over to an item in the grocery store and ask me to "say this name for me." He's nuts, I tell you. Certifiably crazy. But lovable, I must add.

He thinks I say the following words/phrases strangely: Crips * Sandwiches * Sandwich bar (instead of let's have sandwiches) * Taco bar * Potato bar * Fuel (instead of gasoline) * Vehicle (instead of car) * Let's have a hot meal.

I suppose it's not horribly funny to anyone else. Maybe it's one of those "just between the two of you moments" that I'm trying to capture here. But, honestly, he'll actually drag me over to a bag of snacks in the store, point to it, and ask me to pronounce "Crisps" for him. And he just giggles and puts his hand up to his mouth as he laughs.

And so, I've had it. Right up to here! And I'm just not gonna take it anymore. So, I'm off to meet some new friends today. I'm not really nervous. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Sean may be. In fact, I'll bet that Sean's hubby is probably wondering why in the hell this dude from the other coast is coming to stay in their guest room. Weird? Maybe. Wild and fun. I hope. I just love meeting new friends and I feel completely confident that it's going to be a very nice time with the opportunity to meet some new buddies on the East Coast. I hope they feel the same way. So, think of us at 6:23pm Eastern time when I'm prancing my lily white arse through the airport looking for two of Albany's hottest (the only two??). I wonder if they'll laugh at me too?

10 comments:

tornwordo said...

I do that to serge too. Have a lovely escapade.

ericopia said...

Is it your mission to get everyone to move to Portland? ;)

Here's hoping we didn't come across as laughing at you ever. Safe travels!

Lemuel said...

Perhaps you will feel more at home here in the north east. We talk funny - or so someone you know from FL keeps telling me.

(But btw, I do to my wife what your hubby does to you and find it delicious fun because she talks funny, too.)

Anonymous said...

I get laughed at for how I pronounce things as well. Roof, wolf, woof, the days of the week - the list goes on. Maybe I need a vacay alone as well...

Anonymous said...

gawd, you should hear the way we tawk in philly!

youse guys, grab a sammich and let's go downashore! - a typical expression.

have fun on your adventure!

Anonymous said...

I do imagine there will be plenty of laughing--but probably not AT you!
And I love your new Oct. header pic! I have not seen shorts that short since the Women's Olympic volleyball team! {whistling sound} ;-)

Michael Guy said...

Have fun, Lewis!

I've never been to Portland, come to think of it...

Anonymous said...

I hope you remembered to plan a future post that gives us the address and telephone number where you're staying so that if you're not back to delete that future post, we all know where you are and can rescue you. ;-)

RAD said...

I am going on 12 years this next Feb with the old ball and chain..it has flown by--Dont get me worng I love my ball and the chain too...

Wayne said...

We met a couple from Phoenix when we were in New Orleans. They invited us out for a weekend. Had the best time!