* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, December 08, 2006

9 on the 9th.....A Milestone


It's a once in a lifetime moment....this year, we celebrate 9 years together on the 9th of the month. It all happened on December 9, 1997, in the dog food aisle at Safeway. If you're double-checking, that's equal to 108 months, 3,285 days, 78,840 hours, and 4,730,400 minutes (give or take a little because of leap years, time travel, and Back to the Future kind of events). It's the longest amount of time that I've been in any relationship. And I'm so happy to be here. It feels so good to invest in someone that is so worth investing in. He appreciates me so much, and I him. We (normally!) always seem to be watching out for each other, considering what the other one may think or feel or want. This year has been the toughest of all of our years together. And, to be honest, it has nearly come to separation. Now, keep in mind that we rarely fight or argue. But this year has been different. We've been pressured by severe family issues/drama/games. His job has been testing our ability to be flexible. And we've just gotten down and dirty with each other several times (not in a good way). It's never felt so much like a pressure cooker as this year. So, to reach this day, this anniversary, is amazing. It feels so good and comfortable. We love spending time together...always laughing, carrying on like crazy people, and always seem to find ourselves in funny situations that make us laugh. He is an amazing man. First for who he is, secondly for sticking by me with all of my rantings and ravings. I love him. He loves me. And today, we celebrate. 9 on the 9th. And who knows....maybe someday we'll actually be able to get married.

24 comments:

K-A said...

How wonderful! Congratulations to you both. I hope the two of you have a great day and set the tone for another nine years and beyond.

Brad said...

Congratulations! Believe me when I tell you I know how much work it takes to get so far!

Tony said...

Congratulations Lewis. It really is neat to see some people get this far. The element to keep in mind is to always communicate and look for livable compromises. Have a good weekend.

DEREK said...

Happy Anniversary Lewis, that is awesome, congrats to you both. Wishing you two the best. Dog food isle of the safeway, that sounds straight out of one of Armistead Maupin's books, love it.

Sh@ney said...

A big warm virtual squeeze to you both on reaching this milestone...Your union is quite admirable considering the changing times and the somewhat decline of morals & values for many in regards to comittment...Make sure you have a blast celebrating on the 9th...May you both have many more years together...xox

Spider said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to you both! Here is wishing you both many, many more! I love it when good things happen to good people!

Will said...

Congratulations! May there be many more, and my very best to bothof you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! 9 years is amazing! I'm sure you'll have many more together.

A Lewis said...

Thanks to everyone for sharing such great sentiments with us! Went to a great Italian dinner last night downtown, walked along the waterfront, and looked at store windows. Today is several parties so we're off an running! Oh, a special anniversary breakfast right here at our own table too. We're appreciative of all of you, our (virtual) friends! Hugs and love to you all.

Trailhead said...

The dog food aisle at Safeway? I love that!

Many congratulations to both of you.

Matt said...

Congratulations! I know how hard it can be to last 9 years ... but it's still worth it.

Enjoy, and look forward to your 19th!

Anonymous said...

congrats on 9 years!!! from another one of Derek's "hunk of the week" LOL!! Safeway you say? thats where the husband and I re connected at checkout # 3!!

Anonymous said...

A big congratulations. It's nice to see you have stayed with it for nine years, clearly doing what was needed to make it work. Though what I noticed when I read your post had more to do with coming into your tenth year stronger, closer, and more secure as a couple. In my mind, that's the marker of a true and real relationship. Marriage or not!

T-Bird said...

chanpagne toast for the both of you

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you both!! I love you guys!

S said...

Happy anniversary.

Wishing you all the best in the future (come to Canada if you want to get married - it's legal here... again).

A Lewis said...

Hey you guys, we've had a nice weekend together....dinner out, Christmas cookies being made (sort of), several parties....all very good. And thanks in part to the great greetings from our online buddies. We appreciate you all!

Joshua said...

Congrads!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats... I have never had anything for nine years, especially a relationship...but working on it... 4 yrs here

Ryan said...

congrats! awesome 9 years and i hope many more i want that with mikey so much! u give me hope thanx!

Greg said...

Congratulations to the both of you, and here's to many more years to come!

My adventures said...

happy happy anniversary!!!! god, i remember 9, it's the year my husband finally got sober!!! lol... it was the best of times, it was the worst of times!!!

Nik-in-Paris said...

Congratulations to you both.
Thanks so much for your friendship and encouragement!
All the best and virtual hugs from Paris Nik xxxx

Red Seven said...

Congrats, guys!!