* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Whose Around Your Table?


One of my fondest memories of Christmas time was having all of our family around the table together. We were, and still are, a loving and close family. Always together for holidays, birthdays, and even every Friday morning at 9:00 for the family Coffee Klatch at Pastry Perfection. I don't know how this ever started but there were several years when I was very young that my parents got it in their minds to make a phone call out to the Marsing Job Corps and invite a couple of guys to our family's table for dinner. Let me remind you that we're talking about 1970 Idaho...white, Republican, pretty closed-minded (so I thought), way off to the right. The more I think back about this deal, the more it amazes me. So, we'd drive the hour each way to the facility and pick up whoever they had selected to come with us. At least one year, it ended up being two African-American guys. One named Alfonso and I can't remember the other guy's name. My mom still has the Super-8 movie film of the three of us kids playing in the living room after dinner with these guys......nice, friendly, smiling and (I hope) happy. The tree is decorated in the corner. My sister is twirling around with her long hair flapping in the breeze. My brother and I running back and forth in our matching Christmas outfits (why always matching, I'll never know). And Alfonso and his buddy with huge grins on their faces. Like they'd been liberated or given a little break in life. I very well remember, then, sitting down at the dinner table filled with good food, all of us together, and holding hands for the first time ever with someone whose skin color was not the same as mine. We gave thanks for the food, ate for what seemed like forever, and later in the day took the guys back to Marsing to the Job Corps facility. By that time of the day, it was dark. As far as we could see, snowy farm landscapes, with Christmas lights sparkling in the blackness, as we said goodbye to these guys who still impact my mind and heart today. As deep in my heart as I can feel, I am thankful to my parents whose hearts are bigger than life....for the memories, for the teaching, for the inclusion....no matter what. Whose around your table this year?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two famillies, means two Christmas dinners. Christmas Eve is spent with my family, just my folks, my brother and his wife and their two little boys, and Richard and myself. We have our (un) traditional fondue, that takes hours to finish and then we all sit in the living room around the tree with the fireplace lit and exchange our gifts. Over the past six years ( mom's cancer and now my dad's) it has become more and more important for us, the family to be together and to know that we love each other uncondionally and that no matter what the herdle, we will will cross it together. Dinner with Richard's family on Christmas day? well lets just say they created xanax for a reason...

Jimmi said...

Nice story!

Hmm this year Kevin and I will be having dinner at my friend Chucks. Since Jason is staying with us this week, he will be joining us too. There will be 8 of us as far as I understand.

I hope you have a happy holiday!
Jimmi

Alexsander's Backup said...

Nice voice message its really cool :) -

Anonymous said...

Just my family, ohh, and my past. Christmas is just not the same without my family questioning all of my bad decisions -- and why my ex left me. It should be fun!!

Sorted

For some reason, I cannot comment on your blog..

Red Seven said...

What a fantastic story -- and an incredible gift for parents to give to their kids.

I'll be with the Kansas clan this Christmas, so at the very least there will be me, my folks, my sister, her husband, their four kids, the brother-in-laws two sisters, their kids, his mom, and a few neighbors. Oy (to the world).

Lesley McDade said...

Thanks for contact me. I am babysitting two little monsters today so mummy and daddy can wrap presents. They have been told I can tell Santa if they are naughty and that Santa is always looking for good little people as helpers. So they must be good.

Incidentally, that was the message that my Gran gave me for the rest of my life "look for the Good". It's amazing what you see when you do.

Well, I have been very fortunate here in Edinburgh, Scotland for invites to Christmas party's: I had steak dinner last week, Indian on Friday, Chinese on Tuesday, Chicken with haggis stuffing in a whisky and cream sauce yesterday!! and will go round to family to do turkey and all the trimmings including the yearly huge trifle - when I make the trifle I put port in the jelly and its called "Tipsy Laird"!.

Kids quietly watching Pokemon - whoever invented the video should be a saint!

Have a lovely Christmas and especially good Hogmanay from Edinburgh to everyone.

Regards.

Lesley

Spider said...

What a wonderful way to spend the holidays... and a wonderful lesson to teach the family...

S said...

Family.

Ugh.

Sh@ney said...

Hmmm anonymous used my thoughts and put them here Thankyou anon!...Fortunately for me I wont be at any dinner table or with family..It is just my cat & myself this year in my bedroom, with a bottle of scotch...

Tony said...

My whole family in it's entirety are arond my table this year and a few close in-laws from my sister's husband's side. 22 people I believe.

Have a great Christmas/Holiday!

Anonymous said...

You're lucky to not have the Manson family holidays that I used to have. And you know...you can't help the stock that you sprang from. Nowadays my holidays are filled with people who love me and respect me...ok ok...love me :) and that's all anyone can really ask for.
Hugs,
kb