* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why Didn't Anybody Tell Me???

A few weeks ago, hubby and me were in the basement cleaning, sorting, getting rid of all of our cardboard boxes and moving everything into those nifty clear plastic storage containers. In the midst of that fun, we ran across multitude numbers of memorabilia that brought back many memories including the following excerpt from a family newspaper that I had started in February 1974. From the Editor himself, I quote:

"Lewis' Party......On February 17 lewis had a party too be remembered. He had 6 boys for pizza and then to stay over night. At 2:35 A.M. Barb got up and said a few words. Ha Ha."

As if that wasn't a dead giveaway as to my sexuality, I continue with the very next entry:

"Today at 2:00 Lewis and Anne are going to a play "fiddler on the roof." It is suppose to be just like a Brodway Hit."

And the very last entry in the paper...which pretty much cleared everything up:

"Lewis said that the gifts were great. Aunt Ruth got a blouse and Lewis got a dark pink shirt, socks, and plad pants."

Why didn't anybody tell me sooner? I could have saved us all a ton of heartache. Sigh.


Today we spent the whole day shopping, getting ready to pack, and choosing our clothes for the cruise. We leave next Friday and this was our last full day together before then. Hubby needed a few things (have you ever tried to find shorts and flip flops in January in Oregon??). But I am the one who made the haul: Beautiful Clark's dress shoes (they are SO soft and comfortable), Old Navy Jeans for $4.99, two pair of shorts and kahkis, cool striped boxer briefs from The Gap, a book from Barnes and Noble, two ties (required in the dining room on the ship), and several t-shirts. (I always get a comment or six when he is the one that we're out shopping for and I'm the one that comes home with the goods.) We also took in another tanning session and BS'ed with our buddy who owns the tanning place. As always, he made us a perfect nonfat vanilla latte after we were done. I think we're pretty much ready to go. Wish we were all going together! Anybody up for a blogger get-together here in Portland sometime?

23 comments:

T-Bird said...

i might be up for the get together -- late spring sounds good. or early summer.

Brad said...

Nice shoes! Can I buy you a drink? ;)

Wayne said...

Pink shirt and plaid pants. Yep, that should've said enough!
We were in Portland back in October. Celebrated out 30th. Stayed at the 5th Ave. Suites.
Of course, that was before I found your blog.

Minge said...

Would love to come to Portland. Sadly, Portland in the USA is about ten hundred million zillion miles away. Can't you come to Portland in Dorset?

Blair said...

I am just thankful he didn't pack the pink shirt and plaid pants to take with us on the cruise....we will leave that to some of the other people on the ship along with their bermuda shorts and knee high socks)!

He's just so damn beautiful isn't he! What a luck man I am!

Anonymous said...

You should have known early on. Nice shirt choice. Oh, and if I wasn in Portland I'd be up for a meet.

Doug said...

Oh man, 6 boys and pizza! I'm so there!

Love the boxer briefs.

My adventures said...

ah, but do you still have a pink shirt and plaid pants? I do... lol... any pics of that outfit? I'll be out that way this year and will email you...

Sh@ney said...

Hmmmmm... just let me rob a bank, conquer my fear of flying & I may cross the deep blue sea for a get2gether... :P

JoeBlogs said...

Newspaper columnist thats cool.

Trailhead said...

Enjoy your trip.

I second the hopes for pictures of the pink shirt/plaid pants ensemble.

LSL said...

Lewis - there is a blogger meet-up in Portland coming up in March. They're probably not all the people you've come to know and probably not what you meant, but you should grab some folks and stop by. It's March 10th at 7:00 at Kennedy School and it's called . . . TequilaCon! I believe Brandon at One Child Left Behind (who doesn't blog regularly anymore) started it a few years ago and this year it's in Portland. Run Jen Run (link at my blog) is now carrying the torch. I know no one, so it's not an insider group or anything, but I am flying out for it (ok, and for the Tequila.) Stop by!

Blair said...

Im going to love the boxer briefs too......

SlyD said...

I want to see some pictures of the pink shirt/plaid pants outfit as well! Hope you enjoy your cruise too!

Oh, I don't have the book yet. I'm making a run to Barnes & Noble tomorrow before class starts to see if I can found it. I had posted a reply to your comment over on my blog, but I figured you may not see it.

My adventures said...

oh, and have fun on your cruise... hubby and i are doing one in august... give us all the details, with pics!!! have fun!!!

Red Seven said...

Revisiting one's pre-outed self and seeing the obvious clues can be hilarious and incredibly embarrassing. But just laugh -- it's all good.

Homer said...

I hope your Old Navy jeans last for more than a few hours before the butt tears open. I will never buy pants from that company again!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the "dark pink shirt and plaid pants". Maybe you can pick up those pieces for the cruise?

Speaking of, you'll enjoy the cruise; Holland America is the best by far in the cruise business. I went on a Panama Canal cruise with them a few years ago...amazing. And trust me, you WILL gain weight! Enjoy it.

DEREK said...

This was great,oh I laugh at some of my memoribilia, I was lucky that my fiance' told me she thought I was gay about a month before we got married. I'm glad I listened to her.
I want to go back to Portland, I loved it there. Makes me want to go back and find all my Portland pictures I took.

Will said...

I'd LOVE to join you guys but I live over on this side of the continent, see and, well Fritz and I do love the Northwest and maybe sometime we'll get there.

In mid-life when the coming out and finding gay community experiences have been lived through, it's amazing to look back and see all the crystal-clear signs indicting the great gay men we were to become.

Ryan said...

honey if i live close 2 ya i would b up 4 the meeting! thanx 4 the comments and emails while i wa sick! your a sweetheart! kisses!

Kevin said...

Portland? How about Orlando?

Nathan said...

Haha, it's the same way when I look back at stuff from when I was a kid. All the signs were there.

A cruise during the winter sounds like fun. You can record videos for your blog :D