* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Seasons of Change

Does anybody truly LOVE change? I guess there are probably a few....but I'm not one of them. I am in total love with consistency, organization, order, repeat. Boring, I know, but true. I enjoy the comfort that consistency brings: Always knowing exactly where the toothpaste is (squeezed from the bottom, by the way), charging the mobile phone on the same plug-in each night (but I do have an alternate when my husband is charging his), key and wallet in the same drawer each night, and the list goes on and on. I think I'm getting old (half-way to 90 tomorrow)...but I've been this way forever. Maybe it's written in the stars somewhere (see Pisces below). I just know what works and what doesn't for me. And I can't stand doing things that don't work over and over expecting better results. But, somewhere in the back of my mind, I want something different. I want to be more carefree, less structured, more whimsical. I want my always-thinking mind to turn off and choose a different path occasionally. I often speak to others of my Mom and step father. They are always up for something new and different. A new restaurant or coffee shop? They'll go. A different movie or store to shop in? They are there. Meeting new people? Yep, they love it. (I think I've tested them severely sometimes when meeting some of my friends....but they have always played along like good sports). I wonder if I'm going to be like them when I get to be near 80. I hope so, but I'm not so sure. I'd like to think that I will be...but I've got some work to do. Today, reading the February issue of Men's Health, I came across the entire back part of this issue that is totally dedicated to making life better for all of us. I had what Oprah would call an Ah-Ha Moment. If you haven't seen it, you should. Full of great ideas for losing weight, gaining better perspectives in life, dealing with depression, reducing debt, quitting smoking, and making people smile. It's called 2007: The Complete Instructions (page 119). Seriously, you need a copy. So, I see this quote:


They must often change who would be constant in happiness or wisdom (Confucius).

Ouch. I think I'm a pretty flexible person but not a person who loves change. When I come home from a trip, I like the furniture to be in the same place as when I left (hint to hubby). I like knowing that my "castle" is the way I left it. I love the peace of consistency and order. In some ways, I need it. In other ways, I don't think I need it at all. I do know that 2007 must be a different year for me. I must be a better man by this time next year. I must be a better lover and partner too. I've got my work cut out for me.

Checking out Spider's site, I ran across his posting on the zodiac. Since I'm celebrating my 45th birthday tomorrow including a nice dinner with some top-notch friends, I thought it would be a hoot to include this below....I know I'm on the cusp (some sites say I'm an Aquarius)...but most use Pisces.

PISCES: The Piece of ass. Caring and kind. Smart. Center of attention. Too Sexy, DAMN IT. Very high ### appeal. Has the last word. The best to find, hardest to keep. Fun to be around. Freak in the sheets. Extremely weird but in a good way. Super good in bed. Good Sense of Humor!!! Thoughtful. A partner for life. Always gets what he or she wants. Loves to joke. Very popular. Silly, fun and sweet.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know. Maybe some of it. You'll have to ask those who know me well. Lots of love to you guys. I appreciate all of you so much. Your virtual friendships, emails, and comments all mean the world to me. I count on them. I look for them. I need them. And, I seriously appreciate them. As I celebrate my birthday tomorrow, I celebrate a special life with each of you and, especially, with my lover and best friend. He's amazing....I mean, to put up with me....he has to be. Cheers to you all.

24 comments:

Spider said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lewis... and many many more - trust me, 45 is just the beginning - or so I keep telling myself!

Enjoy yourself and have a GREAT day!

Trailhead said...

Happy Birthday! How cool, my sister's is the 19th too.

Okay, I'm stunned. In every picture, you look 15 years younger than your age. Whatever's in the water at your place, I want some.

Blair said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul said...

Have a great day, all day, Monday.

T-Bird said...

I am a pisces as is Tony. Hum...

Wayne said...

Lewis, Happy Birtday!
I love change! Of course it depends on what's changing.
I've been with Craig 30 years. Don't want to change that!
Moved to St Louis when I was 17. Bad change!
Moved to Lansing where I met Craig, Great change!
We've lived in the same house 22 years. Love it, but could change.
Sold our large salon we had for 12 years. Opened a smaller one. Great change!
Love trying different restaurants. and traveling to new places.
So I love change that ends up good.
And not so much when it doesn't.
But isn't that what we call life?


Have a great 45th!

Jack said...

Happy B day Lewis.

Blair said...

Happy birthday my love!

You never cease to amaze me! Just when I think my life with you cant get any better, there is another chapter opened, and off we go!

The one thing that wont ever change....is my love for you!

Here's to many happy and excting times ahead!

My adventures said...

happy early birthday!! and welcome to 45, i'll be your hostess until may... then i'll be heading onto 46... lol...

Kevin said...

Your horoscope from The Onion:

IF TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY:
A short stint as a human cannonball will eventually lead you to a much longer stint as a human corpse.

Nathan said...

An early happy birthday to you!

I know how it is to hate change. I'm not a big fan of it myself. I'm so happy you have things that are familiar to you, like coming home to a loving man :) You deserve it!

My husband is an Aquarius, my Mom is a Pisces. After you said you were on the cusp, I tried to guess which one you were most like.

I can't tell :) But I'm glad we're pals!

Sorted Lives said...

Happy birthday handsome. I hope you have a great day and dinner.

I look forward to seeing you next month!!

Greg said...

Happy Birthday! How nice of the government to give everyone a day off in your honor.

As for change, I think deep down, we all want to change a little something, take a risk or a chance on something that goes totally against what we normally are and do. Go for it! A little change can be fun.

SlyD said...

Happy Birthday!!
I'm a pisces but just barely too. I'm on the other side of it though.

As for change, that's been the name of the game lately with my life. I don't particularly enjoy most of it but I can't really do anything about it. I just let it happen and see where it brings me (and hope it's somewhere good!).

TJ said...

Happy B-day! Life only gets better!

Red Seven said...

Ever taken the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? I'm guessing your an "S" and a "J" -- am I right?

If so, embrace your consistency lovin' self. And Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend, I hope your birthday was a happy one! Everyone I know has issues with change. You're dealing with change better than most.
I hope I will see you soon.

Debbie K.

Will said...

Lewis, Happy Birthday!

Change is hard but I've had to reinvent myself a couple of times during my life and I finally demystified change for myself. I'm finally looking forward to it--change is new life--rebirth.

I love your horoscope and am now going over to Spider's place to get mine. Hugs and many happy returns.

Ryan said...

well happy b-sexy sorry we missed it we were on vacation! ill send u some nudes from are vacation 4 your gift haha! j/k

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Lewis!

A Lewis said...

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL for your text messages, voice mails, emails, comments. Hugs to all of you and many thanks for being such great friends.

LSL said...

I just love this post. Thank you so much for sharing all of those thoughts, it all sounds so genuine. I don't know if I appreciate this because I can relate to so much of it, or because I'm also a Pisces :), but I sincerely appreciate your ability to recognize where you're truly at and to also know how you want to challenge yourself. I really apprecited reading this.

Happy, happy birthday - 45 looks great!!! I'm sorry that we'll miss you at TequilaCon, but maybe next time I visit Portland you guys can meet with me for a drink. Hope you had a great b-day.

mike/ said...

the only ones who like change are wet babies...

My adventures said...

Happy belated birtday... forgot to come back on the actual day... saw sorted's comment, are you going to orlando soon?