* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Monday, March 12, 2007

Easy As Riding a Bicycle


Do you remember people saying to you "It's as easy as riding a bicycle"? That's all fine and good if you were coordinated and had all of your brain waves functioning as indicated. But, remember kids, I was from Idaho. While there were plenty of bicycle-riding potato farmers there, there were a few of us who couldn't get the hang of it and would rather have been.....well, I just can't say it here. I tried and tried....up and down the streets and dirt roads of my quiet neighborhood. And here's the really cool, masculine part: I pushed myself along while I sat on the extra passenger seat on the very back. (Do you remember those seats? It's where your cute boy friends (not BOYFRIENDS....."boy" friends) would ride....and you were so happy when they had their arms wrapped around you...and it especially brought a smile to your face when their hands fell lower than they should have). So, there I was happier than a clam. Riding around on the pumper seat, pushing myself along with my feet. That regular seat was just plain old too scary WAY up there.....plus, you had to balance at the same time. (This is where I'll pause for laughter, finger pointing, and snickering.....go ahead, I had a lot of that growing up......I can stand it.) The pic I've posted along with this post is a letter that my dad sent to me while he was away on his two-week Navy assignment in the late 1960s. As you know, I'm preparing a three-part series to run at the end of this week on my father. While I was researching for it, I found several letters including this one. As much as I cried while reading the letters, I laughed when I found this paragraph about learning to ride my bike. I'll never forget the day when it finally happened. I grinned from big-pokey-out ear to the other. Then you just couldn't stop me from riding as fast as I could, wind in my hair, and the little plastic rainbow-colored fringe flapping from my handlebars. Ah, things were so much more simple then.

I'm in the middle of packing for my trip to Orlando: tight-fitting jeans--check; slinky shirt to show off my small, tiny guns--check; no shoes (hey, it's Florida!)--check. I hope they don't all gang up on me (I do crazy things under pressure). I've already been instructed not to ride in the front seat of Sorted's car for some reason....I don't think I want to know. I fly all night tonight, arrive there early Tuesday morning, take a little nap, and then prepare to meet up with all of the boys for dinner: Sorted, Spider, Actorschmactor, I Deal With It, Mid-Afternoon Snack and hopefully even a few more. I will definitely have to find time to apply some Preparation H to my eyes.....it shrinks the tissues, you know....and after being up all night, there will be plenty of shrinking necessary. Seriously, I can hardly wait.....this is going to be an excellent time, I can just feel it. It almost makes me tingle and get goosebumps....oh, wait, that's something else. Anybody else in Orlando tomorrow? Get a hold of us soon for details on joining us!

The series on my father will run starting at the end of the week and over next weekend. The posts will be long--adapted from the book I started a few years back. But I'm pretty excited for you to read them.

Wishing you health and happiness in your journeys today and always.

10 comments:

My adventures said...

that sounds like way too much fun!!! Can't wait to read all about it!! would you email me the info you told me about where i need to get the downloads for making movies... i forgot... have a blast and i thought that prep H thing was only something southerners did!!! lol... i haven't heard that one in years... i'm gonna try it when i get home!!!

Sorted Lives said...

So I guess I will be "Driving Ms. Daisy" around town?? I told you earlier this morning its not the seat of shame. LOL

See you tomorrow at 1:30!

Mike said...

Listen missy, I have a name.
--
And Sorted is wrong. It IS the seat of shame, and that is usually where Spider sits.

Take that for what it is worth.

Anonymous said...

That letter from your father, the part I could read, was very touching, as well as relateable for me.

I remember for my eighteenth birthday my father gave me a letter he wrote wile on a plane, after finding out my mother had just given birth. These are the things and special feelings that can't be replaced.

Thanks for this entry.

Kevin said...

Yeah, you better learn to ride your bike or you're gonna get a big kiss on the mouth.

(That statement has a completely different context when it's not your dad saying it, huh?)

See you tonight!

Michael Guy said...

Safe travels and apply sunscreen as needed...

Minge said...

Lord above us.

Tony said...

Hope your having a great time visitin g the guys in Orlando!

Billy said...

Hope your trip is a 'scream' a minute experience. Remember, show and tell when you get back!

D-Man said...

I had my training wheels on WAY too long. Embarrassingly long. I could ride just fine with them on, thank you very much. When I was cajoled finally into acting like a 'big boy', I was mesmerized by the feeling of leaning over and riding around in fast, tight circles. Until I leaned over too far and crashed. This was after I had invited everyone out to see what I could do. I was embarrassed and had the wind knocked out of me, but it was worth it.