* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, March 02, 2007

My Collision With the Easy Bake Oven


My younger sister and a friend of hers are visiting us for a few days from the throws of southern Idaho. Last night before we indulged ourselves heavily in some of the best Cuban food ever at Pambiche, we were reminiscing about growing up, when I first knew I liked boys (some things never change), and other nutty childhood memories. I reminded her of the Christmas that I took her out to the proverbial hiding spot for all of our presents. I always knew right where they were and never passed up an opportunity take a peek (or six). I found the box with her Easy Bake Oven in it. I think that was one of the earliest points where I knew there was something amiss with me.....I was more fired up than she was about that oven! With my young brown eyes all glazed over with glee and dilating like a snake coming into the daylight, I said "There it is!" I could hardly wait for Christmas morning. Soon as the wrapping paper was dutifully shredded and tossed from one end of the room to the other, we had that thing out of the box and fired her up. Complete with the included 75 watt bulb. Whoo whee! We're cooking now! It came with a couple of little boxes of cookie or cake mix which cooked okay. But for some reason, my creative and twisted (young gay Idaho) mind went to work thinking of how we could kick it up a notch (I was doing it a long time before Emeril was). I dug through the refrigerator and found a pack of Hormel bacon and snuck it back down the hallway to the bedroom where the oven was. We slapped a few pieces of the bacon into the oven and turned it on. And waited...and waited...and waited. Hum. What's wrong? Three and one-half hours later, sis and me staring and staring and staring, with the bacon barely glistening from just being semi heated up, it still lay there....wobbly, flimsy pig fat doing it's best to perform (we've all been there, haven't we??). I still claim to be more into the art of cooking...not the science (science requires education). 75 watts never was going to cut it. I think that someone should have been able to easily identify my SI at that point. They were probably too busy trying to figure out how to make me wear a hunter's vest and get a fishing pole or rifle to look good on me.

So now that you all are getting sassy and thinking you're more masculine that I ever was (you probably are), take this little masculinity test from Old Spice. My score was 58% which Old Spice calls "Atrocious." Can you imagine? Me being called atrocious on the masculinity scale. I can't either. But who knew some of that crap. If they'd had questions about which color pillows to put with which sofa fabric, or how to get a size 34 waist nicely into a pair of size 30 Abercrombie and Fitch jeans, I could have performed marvelously, not atrociously. You'll see what I mean.
SI = Sexual Orientation

14 comments:

T-Bird said...

Hola Santo Flyboy, I knew i would like this post as soon as I saw the easy bake pic. Very funny. Hey, I could fit into those A&F 30's -- as long as we are talking one damned leg! Last time I was in 30's was -- 5th or 6th grade. I was down to 33's in the late 80's (fasted for three months) but then the company gossip mill assumed that I must have aids which spread like wild fire. Someone finally asked me if I was taking "uh -- err -- uh -- well – you know – that stuff”. I of course was clueless as to their stammering and thought they might be insinuating that I had been getting high which back then (like 90 percent of the city) I was. Finally I made them spell it out and they said that everyone “knew” that I had aids. And THAT was me at the very TOP of the weight chart for my height.

Okay, I will go take the Old Spice manliness quiz. I swing both ways and have since I was little (I could play house with dolls and little girls and then play war and road destruction with boy toys (as opposed to a “boy toy” which is also *very* fun to play with -- not that I have them lining up). I suppose I still am that way (a M/F mix). So I expect it to say 50 for my score.

T-Bird said...

Okay -- 64. Perfect score on music and history. Cooking was hideous as was sports (but I knew the best defense against passing - I examined it and figured it out).

Damn the one where a new hot woman starts working where you work...I had no idea what the pictures were even supposed to be saying so I guessed (and was WRONG). To paraphrase Prissy in Gone With The Wind: “But Miss Scarlett, I don't know nutting 'bout shagging women”.

Sh@ney said...

ROFL...They called me a Manfume Wearing Sissy Man...Thats it no more shaving, smelling nice & looking smart...Im off to butch camp next week...*winks*
I scored 50%...I always thought I was half the man of most...lol Damn it I am just too sensitive...That was fun :)

Spider said...

I was a 60 - the parts of the cow KILLED ME - missed every fucking one of them... I thought THAT was why we had butchers...

SlyD said...

Ya know... my parents got my brother one of those for Christmas when we were little! Yeah. He loved with it! I, on the other hand, hated it - he wouldn't let me play with it and rarely even let me taste the wild things he tried to cook in it.

BTW, I got a 64% on the quiz and I can survive if I ever get lost in the woods!!

My adventures said...

that was a fun quiz, i'm a manfume wearing sissy too... and i needed to take a quiz to find that out??? oh well...

one3y3 said...

Ok, I'm 58% as well. Damn that Easy Bake oven I had as a kid. I even used to use my mom's cake decorating gels to pretty up my Easy Bake oven cakes. LOL.

LSL said...

This post cracked me up! What great memories, and how fun that you can talk with your sister about all of that. "We've all been there, haven't we?" Hilarious.

So I'm a girl but I took the test and I scored 53% and it called me a Sissy-man. Hmm. I think it's a little strange that I got 100% of the TOOLS correct. It's all a continuum, right?!?

Blair said...

Your hubby scored a 60........back to the easy bake to whip up something great for lunch.....how fun.....

Is it so wrong to cook in leg warmers? I found them laying on the bedroom floor........

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Im manfume- wearing sissy man @ 62%!! and who are they calling vanilla???

Matt said...

I got a 70. "Vanilla. That's all you are. Average, lukewarm, mediocre. Women hardly notice you, your job could go on without you and the world barely needs you."

"I'm a manfume wearing sissy man."

Gee ... maybe if I run out and buy me some Old Spice, I'll attract more women! *cough cough*

Wayne said...

Damn that was a long quiz, and for what? 60%. That's it!
Oh and I loved my sister's easy bake oven too!

Big Daddy said...

I got 58% as well. It may be fixed.

Anonymous said...

I scored a 58 too. Me thinks it might be fixed.

I got my own easybake oven for Christmas when I was a kid (I think my mom was onto me). When I got into high school I used it for drying weed, and then for baking some delicious brownies!

gm