* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Victim or Volunteer?


Victim:

"One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act or circumstance; a person who suffers injury or loss as a result of a voluntary undertaking; a person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of."

Volunteer:

"A person who renders aid, performs a service, or assumes an obligation voluntarily in and off his/her own free will."

I've gone through much of my own life using the saying "There are no victims, only volunteers." I can't stand the "victim" mentality -- where we assume no responsibility for our inaction or action (depending on the situation). I believe that each of us should raise our hand and say "Yep, it was me." "I did it." "It's my fault." Gosh, that's a tough thing to do sometimes.

And, please, don't let me mislead you into believing that all of what I do is strictly of the volunteer mentality...because it's not. But I do try not to slip into that frame of mind. Our world is full of people and groups who believe that they've "been taken advantage of" or that "it's someone else's fault" when it's actually as a direct result of their making poor decisions....or even putting off making good decisions. It's created a real mess for our society and social structure and order.

So, which one are you? Victim or Volunteer? Do you enjoy being where you are now? Are you happy being a victim? Happy being a volunteer?

Here's a link to a video I made this morning while crossing the Willamette River in downtown Portland on the Fremont Bridge. Enjoy the tour!

Don't forget that I have an updated audio greeting in the upper left-hand corner for the month of March.

Tomorrow, I get to meet David from Just David!

12 comments:

Christopher said...

I'm sorry...I have no idea what this post was about, I was too busy staring at that sexy pic...more more more...(and lower the camera lens).

My adventures said...

that scared the crap out of me when you put that camera out the window... lol... i was so involved with what you were saying and seeing it for myself tomorrow... good video... and i agree with taking responsibility for your actions... i have aids and i ain't got nobody to blame for that but the guy i see in the mirror everyday... but i'm ok with that!!! great post... see you tomorrow!!!

Wayne said...

I love the little vids of you!
I hate that you're having spring already!
Do, I sound jealous? I'll get you my pretty......and your little dog too! .......I'm okay.....I'm okay.

Mike said...

I wanna be you. Mostly because you are meeting David tomorrow.

There are other reasons, too. Younger, skinnier, -bigger-dick-, cuter, and theres that "meeting David tomorrow" thing.

Hate you. See you next Tuesday.
(Why can't I use the [strike] code?

SlyD said...

I noticed the passenger seat was empty.... hmm... need someone to fill it?

Sorted Lives said...

Enjoy your evening with David. He is such a great guy!! I hope I will meet in when he comes through town.

Brettcajun said...

What a great video! Lordy Lordy... I would never be able to drive and take a live video feed of the event, me, and behind me! The best I can do is take pics of me eating Taco Bell while I am parked in a car wash. (lol!) Great video!

Anonymous said...

Love the video and a great post as well.

Anonymous said...

As stated, great video!

I agree in theory with your victim vs. volunteer premise, though I think it's important to remember that opinion is coming from our perspective of having known success, and being part of the dominant culture in society. While you are right, everyone ultimately makes their own decisions, I often wonder just how difficult those may be for some individuals.

Nathan said...

I love your new greeting and the MARCHing ahead quote that accompanied it. Bravo, bravo!

I love your positive attitude, and the question Victim or Volunteer is a very good way to put it!

You're such a joy :)

My adventures said...

thanks for the linking lesson... i need to change the color so it shows up but i'm learning.... had a great time, thanks you guys!!!

Unknown said...

I agree. Ok so you say you're a victim...now what? I say that if life has dealt you such bad cards whatever the circumstances are that it's your duty to then reshuffle the deck in your favor. Doing everything humanly possible to make your life your own. Since, as a matter of fact, it is. No one else's. It's a hard to take responsibility and if this current administration is any litmus test...the problem is rampant.
kb