* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

To Thine Own Self Be True


Today I celebrate my 10th Anniversary of coming out. It was April 17, 1997, that I filed my divorce papers, went home, and began making horribly painful telephone calls to my sister, brother, and then (in person) to my mother. As most of these stories go, it was crazy and terrible at the time. Today? I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am indebted to all of my family, friends, and my partner for helping me along and taking good care of me along the way. My message of wisdom? To thine own self be true.

I'm just home from a terrific long weekend in Philadelphia with some really cool new friends that we met on our Caribbean cruise a few months back. We spent my honey's birthday there under I&A's excellent care....complete with birthday dinner at a French restaurant that sits in an old general store alongside the road. Ooh, it was yummy. We did the quick Liberty Bell-Independence Hall-Christ Church-Betsy Ross House tour, spent the afternoon at Longwood Gardens (check out the pics), drank wine and margaritas, ate delicious home-cooked food, and -- for the finale -- spent Sunday under 5 inches of rain and woke Monday morning to snow. Roads under water, the whole works. But who cared....when you're with good friends, it really doesn't matter. They took such good care of us. We're looking forward to reciprocating sometime this summer.

Tonight I am back to work.......to ORLANDO! Fly all night, rest up a bit tomorrow morning, and then Sorted has graciously taken the afternoon off to spend with me again....all of that before we meet up for dinner with some combination of alt>Mike, Achtorschmactor, I Deal With It, and whoever else may be around. This will be my second visit with "The Orlando Brigade" in a month. And, that's not the end of it....I'm going back again next week too. I tell you, my hair is going to be in a mess from the wind blowing it in every direction. The body clock is all screwed up (these sorts of things happen easier and more frequently as we age, boys....don't forget).

I'm quite remiss in reading blogs, responding to emails, and posting. My apologies....but it's going to be a bit longer.

21 comments:

Doug said...

Happy anniversary! Congratulations for surviving with flying colors.

Your trip sounds awesome. I've never been to that area.

Say 'hi' to the Orlando boys for me. I'm sorry I can't be there in person.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary Lewis. I'm sure you have a great many memories, both wonderful and some not so wonderful, from the past ten years.

Though I'm willing to bet you're a much stronger, more insightful, and ultimately more connected human being, in large part because of those experiences. Cheers!

Robert said...

'To thine own self be true.' I like that! Lessons from difficult times will give you something an easy life can never give. Congratulations Lewis!!!!

And yeah, please take pictures on your Orlando Brigade. Would absolutely love to see them! Have plenty fun my sweet!

My adventures said...

congrats on your gay-a-versary!!! i don't even remember coming out, i think i kinda just fell out!!! have fun in orlando... i'll be meeting some of them on friday and then at the aids walk on saturday, i'm looking forward to it... email me your address, i have something for you that i forgot to send and then lost your address!!! thanks...

Anonymous said...

Happy 10 Year Anniversary! I'm so proud of you for coming so far :)

I'm really glad to see a new post from you. I was just thinking last night about how I miss your positive messages!

Unknown said...

Happy Annivesary! I came out in 1979... too many years ago... and two weeks away from being married... to a woman! Yikes!

I just read that you will be in Orlando tomorrow! Send me details or make Eric send them to me so that I can join up! I am off tomorrow and would like to meet up too!

Hugs..

Sorted Lives said...

Hey Baby -- great chatting with you this morning. Can't wait to see you Wednesday. I am sooo excited.

I haven't heard back from Alt>Mike so I am not sure if he will be joining us. Any preference on the restaurants I have chosen??

Single Guy said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

Greg said...

Happy Anniversary! The pics look great, makes me want to visit Philadelphia. All that traveling...I'm jealous!

LSL said...

Very inspiring, Lewis. Congratulations and happy anniversary :)

altmike said...

Travel safely......let me be the first to say it....
Welcome back to Club Whorelando"

Moby said...

Jesus! I'm only 36 and I've been out 22 fraking years. lol

Congrats man. Better late than never. hehehe

Steven said...

Happy Anniversary, Lewis! Have a fabu time in Orlando. You have my permission to shave Sorted's head. (WEG)

TigerYogi said...

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!! :)

T-Bird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T-Bird said...

Beautiful flower pics from Philly. They look delicious in big ass format!

T-Bird said...

The "to thine own self" bit comes from Act I, scene iii of Hamlet if any lesbians, I mean thespians are reading.

The coptic Gospel of Thomas also quotes JC as saying as much. I believe with all my heart and soul that the following is true.

70) Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you
bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is
within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

T-Bird said...

FYI: this is the link to my previous comment.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

Kevin said...

Wish I could've made it. Hopefully next week!

Billy said...

Bit late, but none the less -

Happy anniversary! So good to be true to yourself, all the time.

Have a fruitful weekend.

Anonymous said...

This is my first attempt at blogging - Is that the right word? I find the comments on most of your sites to be thought provoking.
French Teacher