* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Monday, June 11, 2007

Lewis and His Wanderings -- With a Predisposition For Good Food

With the exception of world peace, I've finished a project that I've been working on for a bit of time....a Google Map of My World Travels. It'll take a minute to download all of the little blue flags (how did it know that I was a Democrat?). It's plain to see that the Spirit must make trips soon to Australia and the South Pacific as well as South America.


Right after having a great conversation and catching up with my good friend at Sorted Lives, I made a dinner that I really had some questions about. I have to say, and hubby agrees, that it is definitely a keeper. Braised romaine lettuce on the grill topped with grilled onions and red peppers with a drizzle of homemade warm balsamic reduction and finished with shaved Parmesan and glazed pecans. Really awesome -- check out the pics. Oh, and did I mention the charred sweet cherries on the grill with shaved dark chocolate for dessert?


We've got some pretty heavy things going on in our family right now. Like, how shall we say, life-altering things coming up...and, unfortunately, not in a good way. It's been pretty heavy on our hearts and in our heads. I'm so proud of our family member that is facing life as it should be...just exactly for what it is. If you make a mistake, own up to it. Pay for it and don't play victim. The bad part, and it is really terrible, is that there will be some pretty serious jail time, fines, loss of driver's license, and possibly ramifications with children. We're heartbroken. It seems, sometimes, that even when someone tries their hardest to make things right -- especially after things were so horrible -- that it is really difficult to get the ship turned around and onto a new course. Some things are worth it, though. I keep on saying, "Don't look back."


And before I close tonight, I want to say thanks to my blogging buddy Kelly over at Rambling Along With a Stern Point of View. He has reminded us with his beautiful photo below that it is, indeed, the time of year to show our pride. Be proud of who we are and who we can become. Thanks Kelly!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That map is so cool! I didn't know you could do that! I think I'll make one of my own :D

Sorry to hear about what's going on in your family, especially since it may affect children. That's always the saddest part. I'm curious to know more, but only if you feel willing to talk about it.

If not, that's fine. Here's a hug for you either way :)

Dave2 said...

Wow... our travel maps look very similar. I too am sadly lacking in visits to South America and Australia (and Antarctica, of course). :-)

Ryan said...

lewis sorry 2 hear your family going thru some rough times. u know im here if u need an ear u were there 4 me.

Doug said...

I hope the family issues get resolved for the better.

Steven said...

I picked the wrong time to read this post. Right before lunch when my stomach is already growling.

I'm still waiting on your recipe columns. And I'd have to question whether or not those pictures are actually licensed by Betty Crocker. They look awfully familiar. :-)

May you find strength and comfort, Lewis during these times of family pain.

bardelf said...

Hi Lewis,
I'm visiting your site, via Sticky Crows, where your comments often make me smile. Very impressive blog site you have here, I must say. The food looks delicious!

I hope that everything works out for the best regarding the family member and issue.

Take good care and I look forward to visiting your site again.

Sorted Lives said...

It was great chatting with you last evening. It was as though we long lost friends with so much to say and never enough time.

I remember you telling me about your situation in March. I am saddened things did not work out in their favor. I will say a little prayer for you and your family. Take care.

Anonymous said...

that looks so delicious and healthy. Hope your having a great week! We met three cute Germans this weekend, one was a Airline Steward. You must have the most awesome job, I always wanted to do it. But I was too tall.

Michael Guy said...

Ditto. I read your post right before lunch. I think I need something "grilled" now.

Sorry to learn of family matters; but your sage advice of "Don't look back" is strong medicine. None of us can change the past; we hang here by a thread in hopes that tomorrow comes for the chance to fix what needs fixing. And I sooo need to do a PRIDE template over at TTS!

Wayne said...

food looks great!
A "hug" for the family issues.

Ur-spo said...

i luv a good salad; that one sounds splendid!

Robert said...

"...that it is really difficult to get the ship turned around and onto a new course."

It's so true. Sometimes people get so discouraged and nothing seems to worth much anymore. I've almost gotten to that point once in my life. Anyway, warmest wishes to you and to everyone in your family Lewis! Together, is the secret!!

Christopher said...

Looks Deeelish!...I love a man that can cook (in & out of the kitchen)!

Billy said...

Now when will you and hubby put another flag in Kenya???

Hope the family thing gets sorted. Always very, very unpleasant.

Have a pretty weekend now!

Unknown said...

So..if you are ever in the Hawaiian Islands again make a stop in Maui. If I can arrange a time to meet ya you might even get lei'd. I am sure youhaev done that before though ! :) LOL I crack me up .

T-Bird said...

:-(