* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Witch Hunt? Defending the Republican

UPDATE: Friday, August 31, 11:05am Pacific Time: I felt it only appropriate that I apprise you of the fact that I've escaped unharmed, unentraped, and unscathed from the men's room at the Portland Airport -- not once, but twice, today. I went in, stared straight ahead at the wall, did not reach down or near the partitions, and made no advance toward picking up any stray pieces of tissue paper the may have been on the floor. At no time did my hands brush near the bottom of the partition and at no time did I graze, brush, glance off of, nor in any way touch the foot or hand of the person next to me. I did, however, turn around twice to ensure that my bag was still just behind me. And my pupil dialation and pulse were elevated only slightly. I hope that can't be construed in to be searching for sexual fulfillment. I held it as long as I could, but I finally had to go in. Oh, I didn't see any "Police" business cards or ID badges being flashed around either. But I was a little nervous. I guess it's only fair to say that the police could actually have been in there "looking for a little piece of action" too. I mean, everybody needs it from time to time. End of update..........
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling funny. I've just listened to the audio recording of Senator Craig's arrest. I won't defend his political positions....most obviously because I disagree with a majority of them. And he may or may not have a penchant for hot guys like I do. Who cares. But that's not what we're debating here. I have to be honest, this doesn't sound quite right to me. I just feel like there may be some sort of a witch hunt. Possibly not directly targeting the Senator but probably the bathrooms at the airport. I mean, public restrooms do bring on a myriad of interesting situations from time to time, that's for sure (and don't play innocent with me because I know you've all been there at one point or another). It just doesn't sound to me like grounds for an arrest. Unless someone hired the detective specifically to follow the Senator and target him individually. At this point, we'd better all be on our best behavior while wagging the wee-wee at the urinals. I mean, for god's sake, I had a guy showing me his snake in an airport bathroom just a couple of months ago....outright and blatent. Back to the Senator's debacle: No money exchanged, no verbal exchange or conversation, no invitations or verbal solicitations for services to be provided or received, no children were involved, no nothing. The story was full of situations that any of us could find ourselves in. And don't forget our good congress person David Vitter in Louisiana a while back....hired a prostitute but still has his job. I guess that's okay to do. Again, I won't defend the Senator's voting record or his horrible stance on "One Man, One Woman." And I think he's a total dork for defending himself by his "Let me be clear here, I'm not gay" defense....as if that makes it all better. But I speak as a fellow Idahoan who has a vested interest in this story. I've also got a family member who is a Republican State Senator in Idaho -- so my interest in Idaho politics is heightened. But as a defender of basic human rights, I must give pause in a situation that seems to lack clarity to me. We are innocent until proven guilty (well, at least that's the premise I thought we were supposed to be operating under). No sticks and stones, please.

27 comments:

Howard said...

*sniff* That was beauiful.

But I still think he's a three-dollar bill. Waa-waa-waaah.

Homer said...

It is difficult for me to feel sorry for Craig. He has never voted for any gay rights laws. His actions in the bathroom indicate he knows the "rules" for obtaining sex there. I agree he is not "gay," but it is obvious he is a homosexual. It is unfortunate for him that he got caught with his pants down, but maybe he will finally be able to throw aside the terrible inner-hatred that he must feel towards his sexuality.

Steve said...

I haven't followed it. It gets old after a while. But you're not the only one who has stated things similar to this. I just came from Secret of Red 7's blog; and while he didn't say exactly what you did. He was skeptical.

Sorted Lives said...

I agree with Homer. Don't be goin' into a bathroom looking for dick and say you aren't gay. And the excuse a mouth is just a mouth -- it's not. A woman's mouth doesn't know how to give head... I'm just sayin..

Ur-spo said...

i concur that i want him to get the rap, not 'everyone gonig to the loo'.

Red Seven said...

Lewis, if you read that cop's report, notice the times ... Craig initiated and escalated contact and communication with the plainclothes cop for MANY MINUTES. When he saw the badge, he immediately shouted, "NO." He knew what was going on, and knew that he was attempting to engage in illegal activity. And what really got him in trouble is that guilty plea. So he's guilty or he LIED about being guilty; either way, he's guilty of something.

However, I absolutely agree that the way his entire party has collectively thrown him under the nearest bus is rather alarming, and contrasting this story to our friend Mr. Vitter a few weeks ago, the Rethuglicans just showed their true rampant homophobic colors ...

A Bear in the Woods said...

All the legal studies I've read basically say the same thing; that tearoom sex should be decriminalized. There's no social detriment, and there's no increased health risk.
My problem with Craig isn't that he likes mens room dick, but that he's such an ugly hypocrite.

A Bear in the Woods said...

And it WAS entrapment.

Brad said...

Lewis, I would just like to point out that the man pleaded guilty. Try as he might, he cannot take that back. There is NO presumption of innocence once one has entered their plea.

The fact that he entered the plea without any counsel makes him a dumbass.

And he's still a hypocritical bastard.

Leo Carioca said...

If this bathroom were able to speak...

Trailhead said...

Gah. My feelings are this: I think Sen. Craig probably is homosexual. That said, I couldn't care less if a man "solicits" another man in public. It's none of my business.

And let's just be real honest here -- gay men are selectively arrested and prosecuted for this "crime" far more than straight folk are, and I don't think its because straight people don't engage in this activity!

I like Glenn Greenwald's take on this. He really zeroes in on the fact that this whole thing goes back to the rotten, stinking core of the right-wing's anti-gay nutjobbery, especially in this perfect paragraph:

The only kind of "morality" that this movement knows or embraces is politically exploitative, cost-free morality. That is why the national Republican Party rails endlessly against homosexuality and is virtually mute about divorce and adultery: because anti-gay moralism costs virtually all of its supporters nothing (since that is a moral prohibition that does not constrain them), while heterosexual moral deviations -- from divorce to adultery to sex outside of marriage -- are rampant among the Values Voters faithful and thus removed from the realm of condemnation. Hence we have scads of people sitting around opposing same-sex marriage because of their professed belief in "Traditional Marriage" while their "third husbands" and multiple step-children and live-in girlfriends sit next to them on the couch.

Whew. Taking a deep breath now.

bardelf said...

Craig admitted guilt, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

I also, however, agree with Daniel, that this is a case of entrapment.

Anonymous said...

Excellent points, Lewis. I agree with you. Lavi's superb post this morning brings up some of the same points you do. It's well worth the read. http://lavisoloway.blogspot.com/
(Second post down .., titled "Hypocrisy Entrapped).

Steven said...

(and don't play innocent with me because I know you've all been there at one point or another).

Moi?? Airport bathrooms are the worst place to "go." These bathrooms always seem to be the place where the most pungent smells eminate, forcing me to hold my breath while in there. By the time I wash my hands, I'm turning a deep purple.

I, too, question how guilty this man is, but his stance on GLBT issues forces me to take sides.

buff said...

Stud, first, thanks for a very funny take on the Larry Craig thing.

And you make some valid arguments about "innocent until proven guilty".

And since you have Idaho credentials, you viewpoints are very well taken.

But, after all being said, I still have to take the position that old Larry got what he deserved. We gay men who live openly and not in the closet, don't have the power and position he had. We live ordinary lives under sometimes more than ordinary circumstances. He has lived a lie for years, and I don't feel a bit sorry for him. Entrappment, I don't think so. He saw a cutie, and went tapping after some hot action. He got caught, and he now has to pay the consequences for this actions.

Homer said...

I checked the "Missed Connections" on Craigslist for Portland and no one mentions seeing you in the Airport Bathroom.

daveincleveland said...

i didn't read anywhere that you tapped your right foot.....perhaps thats why you didn't get any....hehehe

Steve said...

LOL @ your update.

Minge said...

Quite.

But people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and gay people shouldn't belong to a political party which thinks they're second class citizens.

kenny said...

I love the urinal peeking trick!

Rick Rockhill said...

what a mess huh?

Sh@ney said...

The minute I begin to read anything political is the moment I lose interest! Sorry but I couldn't give a rats ass about the goverment or political debate, much these days. If their laws don't include me then they don't apply to me either.

dpaste said...

Don't have time to read all the comments, but I listened to the tape and he sounds guilty as hell to me. He clearly was soliciting through his actions. And no, I've never been there myself, sorry to burst your bubble. But I have enough "old-timer" friends who've described the scene for me to recognize it when I hear it. He didn't outright ask for a bj but he gave escalating signals of interest and intent. There is a very clear order for these things and he followed it to the letter.

Also, while I despise the inequity between Craig and Vitter:
1) Craig was arrested while Vitter was only exposed.
2) It's politics. Vitter is from Louisiana, which has a Dem governor who would have appointed a Dem replacement. Idaho has a Rep Gov who will be appointing a Rep replacement, so no change in the balance of power in the Senate.

Anonymous said...

Entrapment? Doubtful. Listening to the taped conversation between Craig and the police officer, Craig clearly admits that HIS OWN hands DID indeed go under the divider. I've gone to the bathroom in the MSP airport many times (having lived in Minneapolis for years) and although they are small, they are not so small as to require ANY part of the body to go between the dividers "by mistake". It's great that you want to "support" your fellow Idahoan, but come on, it is what it is. He admitted guilt, he's a grown man. If a foot touched mine while on the toilet, I'd move my closer to me. If a hand came under the divider, I'd probably ignore it unless he persisted and then I'd prob kick the hand or spit on it. If Craig were truly a happily married straight man, I doubt his hands would have gone under the divider. I'm a happy, out, gay man living in North Dakota, where most "gay" men are just like Craig, married with children and looking for sex in restrooms, parks, or other "discrete" locations.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lewis...I have to say I agree with you. I don't like Craig or his politics, but you are right, what of David Vitter?? It's really rather stupid...

Anonymous said...

Innocent until he pleaded guilty! Entrapment? You can only be trapped if you are doing something illegal. And I agree with Brad. He's a hypocritical bastard. He's been doing this forever and got what he deserved. Now if only OJ would get his comeuppance.

D-Man said...

I don't think that the vice squad should be hanging out in airport bathrooms, trying to bust guys cruising for sex. Is this behavior a real threat to public safety?

With that said, he did himself in by pleading guilty. Also, with his anti-gay record and alleged penchant for anonymous gay sex in public places, it was just a matter of time before it all just fell apart.