* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Final Hurrah -- Not Quite Yet


For many, this marks the unofficial end of the summer season. Fortunately, we enjoy sun warmed afternoons and delightfully cool mornings all of the way into October sometime. My excitement begins when I toss open the front and back doors early in the morning while the birds are still making noise in the trees and the energetic dog walkers are breezing rapidly by. You just can't replicate the freshness that is the morning. Or the stillness that is the night. I have always been emotionally tied, like a ribbon on a package, to nature -- it's smells, sounds, and often missed beauty. Plus, being naked isn't so bad either. Sometimes at the beach, I even get down on my hands and knees and get all crazy just trying to capture just the right shot. If you're a photographer, you know that works sometimes....and other times, it's crap. I went with my honey and his brother to Sauvie Island earlier in the week. I've included those shots in a previous set of pics from the Island....so look at the last two-thirds of the photos for this weeks shots. And, I think I'm going to go again today.....along with hundreds of others. I usually don't go when there are crowds. That, I don't typically find fun at all. But today is different. I want to see the people waving bye-bye to summer. I like seeing couples, or families, or just a guy alone like I'll be today, unfortunately. I want to get there early....early, I say. To share a moment with the warm sand on my toes, the (hopeful) breeze that generally shoots up and down the Columbia River, and pick out just the right spot to watch the sea of humanity come and go today. Traditions are cool. What we do as humans is weird and nutty sometimes. Let's not let summer go quite yet. I'd like it to linger a little, calmly and peacefully on my shoulders (oh, and on the bald spot on the top of my head too....). Gotta run now......and make a peanut butter and honey sandwich to take with me. I am so not complicated.

16 comments:

"W" said...

It's all about stopping to smell the roses. Even if it's just one a day or one a week. I too love that brisk fall morning air. After a million days of 95 plus degrees here, it's starting to hint at fall...with much cooler nights. Ok, this has already turned into a post of my own. As always, a true pleasure to read things of the world through the eyes of Lewis.

Steve said...

Have fun! And I love peanut butter and honey sandwiches! Banana and peanut butter are yummy too!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful end-of-summer post, Lewis. I loved taking that little drive with you ... the gray-blue ambiance of a cloudy autumn sky. I, too, like to open the doors early to let the scents and sounds of morning fill the house. As for peanutbutter and honey, I'd rather that than all the caviar in the world.

Ur-spo said...

and i am glad summer is over - it is still way too hot and sunny here.

Billy said...

Your summer is gone, our's just started here! Looking forward to warm sunny days, and long balmy evenings with the doors open and the wildlife outside singing a song! (Slowly being eaten by the mozzie invation...)

Oh, BTW, it seems you driving on the wrong side of the road mate!

;-)

tornwordo said...

Sounds like a marvelous day. True, there is no other freshness like morning. We were on the mountain yesterday at 9am, almost alone. When we got down from the mountain, there was a line of cars waiting to get in.

Vernonman said...

Sonds idyllic. One of my favorites is crunchy peanut butter with marmalade and just a little German-style mustard to give it a bit of a kick.

We spent the weekend with a bunch of our guys doing work around the property, hot tubbing, playing games, talking, laughting and just enjoying being together in the briliant sun-lit, mild days.

l love that picture of the three of you--three handsome men on the beach enjoying each other's company. Superb!

Will said...

Hey, Lewis, I'm not Stephen, I'm Will. For some reason on my last two comments it comes up that I'm Stephen. I've tried to change things and hope I'll be identified properly from now on.

Will

Alan Fisher said...

peanut butter and honey? on the SAME sandwich? urgh......

kenny said...

Do you have to be 18 to go on a nude beach?

Trailhead said...

Love. That. Picture.

Ryan said...

i speent the weekend in cali and summer felt far away at 117 degrees yuck!

Sh@ney said...

Your driving on the wrong side of the road! Ooops! As you wave goodbye to summer, we greet 'spring' it is my fav season & usually I would be taking holidays in the nex month or so, but this year that is financially impossible...Ahhh well it doesn;t cost much to go to the beach, just a bus fare...Great post...Nature is beautiful anytime of the year & quite often goes unnoticed by those who are far to busy to stop & take a look once in a while...hugs xxx

Unknown said...

Eh. Summer still has a few weeks, and in my world, it never ends. Hot weather, boys with shirts off, what could be better?

Matt said...

You are so cool. Great post. And I LOVE that song.

D-Man said...

Mmmm, another vote for the peanut butter and honey (and banana).