* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, August 15, 2008

Summertime Walla Walla Onions

It's summertime....and the livin' is easy. One of my all-time summer favorites is Walla Walla onions. I've mentioned them numerous times before in recipes. I like them peeled, left whole, dig out a notch in the top of them, insert a cube of bullion or whole garlic clove, and wrapped in foil. Cook for 45-60 minutes on the grill. They are fantastic sliced thin and perched high atop your favorite sandwich. Or grilled and caramelized on a garden burger with cheese and fresh avocado. Some folks, not me, eat them raw like an apple. They are that sweet! Or a variety of sandwiches such as peanut butter, onion and banana. The town of Walla Walla, Washington, has become famous for these beauties. It's a relatively new wine growing region and near the place where the Whitman Family was massacred in 1847.
The region and it's farm fields are one heck of a beautiful place to spend the weekend, drink a little wine, and grab yourself a bag of yummy onions on the way home.
And if you're lucky, maybe you'll even with the Miss Walla Walla contest.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better than Vidalia's in my opinion. We were in Oregon last weekend and I had the Walla Walla onion rings at Burgerville twice in 24 hours. YUM

Michael Guy said...

Carmelized onions are a gift from the Gods on a good burger! I can't say I'd bite into one like an apple, though. Have a good weekend/travel safe, Lewis!

Mark in DE said...

Wow, they sound very versatile. I'm gonna try 'em!

Mark :-)

CawfeeGuy said...

somehow they've not made their way to staten island, but i shall surely keep an eye out! any onion you can eat like an apple sounds delish!

Laurie said...

Ya know, when I was pregnant with
my son I had to have peanut butter
on just about everything. One of
those things was fish. Now, you've
given me another thing to try with
peanut butter.

Have a great weekend and be safe!!

HUGS!!!!

Stacey said...

Love the walla wallas! (It's even fun to say!) Maybe I'll pick some up to put with dinner tonight.

Christopher said...

Now I'm in the mood for onion rings!

Dave2 said...

Ah yes... a veggie burger is not complete without them!

RAD said...

Walla Walla Onions are superb! We only use these in the summertime due to its avail here in the NW...YUM!

Java said...

I'm more familiar with the Georgia Vidalia onions. Quite good.

About peanut butter combinations: I have enjoyed peanut butter on sweet pickles since I was in my early teens. I corrupted my younger cousin with peanut butter and sweet pickles. My aunt would only allow her to eat them once a month. No onions were harmed in the making of this treat.

Tony said...

Mmmm .. I'm hungry now!

Ur-spo said...

i love onions!
i used to grow Walla Wallas when i lived in Michigan.
Alas, home grown onions are NOT like homegrown tomatoes i.e. homegrown tastes better. So I buy them now and save time.

I once heard onions are the foodstuff most consumed around the world, beating out rice. Can it be so?

Matt said...

I LOVE onions ... I think I need to try your recipe!

Rick Rockhill said...

me likes walla walla onions too!

Homer said...

I like them sliced thin on tomato sandwiches!

Rick said...

They sound yummy but I had never heard of them. Guess they are like the Georgia vidalia and not sold here. :(
You have so many places to entertain and inform you. That's how you keep your mind out of the gutter.

Anonymous said...

Hungry for a Listerine Pocket Strip right now. Sound delish but I wonder if I would find them in my "neck of the woods."