* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Food of the Gods


Yesterday as we drove down the road, we passed a Newport Bay Restaurant, a chain seafood joint up here in the Pacific Northwest. Simply casually, as my comments usually are, I said, "We should swing in there for a crab cocktail." And the laughing started. You see, it's funny, because I'd never have a crab cocktail. Ever. I'm a hard person to read. I say things in laughing ways that I'm serious about. And I joke about serious issues. I'll see a boob or titty bar and say, "Hey, we should stop and belly up to the bar and see if we can get some titty." So, back to the seafood deal....hubby said, "That'd be the last thing on your list of things to eat." And I wholeheartedly agree. Plus, and this is very very cool -- I'm going to make a trip soon to meet a couple of bloggers that I've never met before way on the other side of the country -- and one of them asked me if he should have anything special in the house for my visit.....so that got me to thinking about what I like and dislike. You'll remember that I already don't feel like an American. But the list continues:


I'm In Love With: Lasagna, cheese enchiladas, tacos, chips and salsa, giant salads filled with major veggies, avocados, peppers, onions, garlic, pizza, all veggies and fruits, nonfat vanilla lattes, beans, lentils, barley, most soups, scones/biscuits, warm bread with butter, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, garlic bread, some Thai dishes, fresh homegrown tomatos, basil, olive oil, potato chips, Snickers/Nutrageous/Reese's candy bars, dark chocolate, homemade fresh peach pie.

I Can't Stand: Steak or red meat, any fish, crab cocktails!, no meat at all really turns my crank, mayonnaise, lamb, relish, ketchup, mustard, things that are overly vinegary, eggs without something else in them like peppers/onions/cheese, trout, dark beer, clam chowder, many Asian foods but I do make a few exceptions, plain old Hershey's milk chocolate candy bar, sauerkraut, and even tofu I have a little trouble with.

So, there you have it. A little innocent comment about a crab cocktail induced this entire post. I just knew that all of you, with your inquiring minds, would want to know. And, oh, those blogger friends that I'm going to visit will be an entire post soon....because they deserve a whole post dedicated to them.

18 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

what, pray, is a 'crab cocktail'?

Lemuel said...

Well, I know that you will not be visiting PA very soon, because in these parts we pickle (read: usually means vinegar!) *everything*! - that includes cabbage (sauerkraut), meats, and eggs.

Although I'm not sure we've done a job on crab cocktails yet.

:-D

Laurie said...

Yep, you're gay :) you don't like
to eat fish! HA!!
I LOVE FISH!!! Seafood YUMMY!!!
Can you tell about me? HA!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ said...

Interesting, very interesting...

Anonymous said...

but if you come to philly, let me know...would be kewl to meet someone from the west coast!

Java said...

Can't say as I've ever had a crab cocktail. I have had hushpuppies in the shape of little turds that the locals liked to dip in butter. That was in coastal North Carolina. The people there tend to die young of heart problems.

Tony said...

A very random mix of things! Interesting to learn :-)

Wayne said...

No Meat! Horrors! I can't believe it! But then again..... we are all different. And that's what makes us all special.

Dave2 said...

NO MAYO, KETCHUP, OR MUSTARD?!?

Good Lord, man! What do you eat on your veggie burger?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh right, the perfect dinner guest!

Ur-spo said...

have you seen the list of the Foods of the demi-gods?

-carywd said...

no dark beer, sauerkraut or tofu?
very strange

RAD said...

HA! Hey, we should stop and belly up to the bar and see if we can get some titty." Wow... your a picky eater! Is that how you keep that girlish figure? Maybe I need to do the same--No Meat or Mayo? I may die....LOL!

My adventures said...

I used to be hardcore finnicky and just recently starting trying things that I haven't tried in years, some of them I really like. Some, I still hate but I'm not closing any doors except on okra and liver. Those doors are quadruple locked and sealed for good!! Where ya headed and who ya visiting?

Doug said...

Never had a crab cocktail, but never been a fan of crab.

I'm totally with you on dark chocolate, though.

Franciscus van Munster said...

Oh dear... we so wouldn't get along, foodwise

Mark in DE said...

How can any red-blooded American not like mayonaisse? I live for it! Well, that and vodka.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're pasta, starchy, veggie and fruity all wrapped in one. Seems like a simple food group that has been keeping you slim and young...looking. ;-)