* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Friday, September 05, 2008

The Glory That Is Portland


We've been out and about every single afternoon for the last three days. It's been fantastic weather and we've taken full advantage. On Wednesday afternoon, we took Mason the Pooch to Kelly Point Park. It's at the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers in Portland. I can't tell you how beautiful it is to have such amazing scenery, literally, in our backyard.

Thursday carried us a little further to one of our very favorite places in the area...Larch Mountain. It's about 45 minutes east of Portland, up above the Columbia River National Scenic Area and Multnomah Falls at the 4,500 foot level. From there you can see Mts. St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood, and Jefferson. Here's a hiking link and here's a photo link. Check out my pics.

And today, another late summer day took us out to Collins Beach on Sauvie Island. It's one of our two clothing-optional beaches (did you know that Oregon had the very first clothing-optional beach in the US??). It's on the Columbia River northeast of Portland and is the perfect place to watch all of the giant ocean-going vessels as they go to and from the Port of Portland carrying new cars from Asia and taking Oregon/Idaho/Washington wheat back to Asia.

So, that's it....we're sunburned, tired, and happy. And you just can't beat that.

13 comments:

dit said...

those are some amazing photos! Nice eye!

Rick said...

Great photos indeed Lewis. You're so blessed to live so close to such natural beauty and you all look quite at home in them thar hills. Everything looks so green. I love the one of you spread out on the rock. It's like buttah.

Ur-spo said...

no indeed,
you should beat on a sunburn -that would hurt so! ouch!
(hohoho)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pics of the stunning part of the world where you live. It is on my must visit list. Thanks for the taster.

Oh and you guys are just so cute and looked to be having such fun.

;)

RAD said...

Nice huh? We are doing the same--enjoying the end of summer with this great PNW weather....Taking the kids and the newest addition Lola to a BBQ so they have a play date with the other doggies and run--our play date too -- eating and drinking....cheers!!!

Java said...

That sounds like great fun. I'm envious that you live in such a beautiful place. This area has its charms, but it's nothing like the PNW.

Doug said...

Love the pictures, and I absolutely love the PNW. We did some exploring in Seattle and I love the mountains and trees and rivers. Breathtaking.

Hope nothing important got sunburned.

Anonymous said...

More excellent photos Lewis! I love the varied nature scenes... but I love the playful pics. you and your hubby take of each other. :)
Portland is one of my all time favorite cities for sure!!

Laurie said...

I wanna see that when I look out
my windows :( All I see is my
neighbors houses :(


HUGS!!!!!!!

T-Bird said...

thanks for the mt. hood.

Mark in DE said...

Our good friends The Newlyweds are moving to Portland on 9/15. We will miss them terribly, but hope to visit them at some point.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you guys have been able to enjoy the last days of summer. Great photos that you have shared! Like Java, I am envious of people who live in such scenic places, unlike the flatlands of Illinois.

Nathan said...

Such exhibitionists. I enjoyed the photo tour of your day.