* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fraility of the Human Condition


Exactly what is it about placing ice-cold cloths on the withering foreheads of the aging that remind me of my frailty. Or, the frailty of life, I mean. We stood in the room with my father-in-law a couple of days ago, the room hot with the afternoon sun. A fan blew lukewarm air around the room. A bucket of ice water held the cloths that I kept on changing on his forehead. I kept on glancing at the man in the next bed, asleep, in a diaper, and missing part of one of his legs. He's going nowhere. I helped him dial a phone number one day. He just couldn't get it done. The lips try to move, but they are etched deeply with the creases of skin whose day is done. And the eyes. Oh, the eyes. You know, they tell all. Look deeply and you'll see a person whose life is nearing completion. The strength is simply gone. I cry easily in these kinds of situations. I reach out and touch him and tell him I'll see him again soon. And as he tells me he appreciates me and loves me, it happens again. Because I know he's telling the truth. I turn my head to go and, again, glance at the man with the diaper and no leg.

12 comments:

K-A said...

Lewis, what's this about?

Lemuel said...

It is good for us to be reminded of life's frailty from time to time and to acknowledge it with sensitivity and caring. All too often we live with a sense that we are indestructible.

HUGS, Lewis!

Anonymous said...

I have not met you... but I just know that you are a beautiful soul... to lend your touch and your tears to these individuals who are so near the end of this fleeting life...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you guys are having to go through this. Our thoughts are with you...

Anonymous said...

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Laurie said...

Comfort.....It brings a sense
of comfort to them....

Please don't make me cry anymore :(

HUGS!!!

ps...I didn't say YES or NO. I just
laughed :)

LSL said...

Lewis, I hate knowing you guys are going through something difficult. Sending lots of good thoughts for your FIL.

Tony said...

Gosh ... you've now got me going! Ot reminds me much of a situation I went through a while ago. Hugs to you both x

Breenlantern said...

Your compassion is what makes you extraordinary....

RAD said...

you made me cry too---,my heart and thoughts are with you..... Suoer hugs....

tornwordo said...

This is why we're supposed to live every day like it's our last. Thanks for the sobering reminder.

Nathan said...

Oh, Lewis, what a difficult time for you guys.

I'm always here for you if you want to talk.