* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Friends and Family....Oh, And a T-Shirt Too

Last night found us out under a fantastic summer night sky with this blogger from Orlando. He and his partner have spent the last week in our beautiful Pacific Northwest and we enjoyed their last evening here with them at Pastini. Thanks, you guys, for making our night....we loved the good food, conversation, and fun. Here's what I had: ORECCHIETE TOSCANA: Small, ear-shaped pasta with arugula, cannellini beans, broccolini, balsamic onions, breadcrumbs, chili flakes, garlic and parmesan. Delicious!!

And then Sunday arrived: May I just say, for the record, that one just never quite knows exactly what is going to happen in any given day -- agreed?? The day started out amazingly beautiful with clear late summer blue skies, breakfast outdoors with strong coffee and good friends, and a trip to Target. Oh, and a t-shirt that I purchased last year when we were on our Hawaii cruise. Oh yeah, the stares ensued at every stop we made. I think people were on a mad scramble to get on my right-hand side instead of the left side. Chickens.



With four skinny vanilla lattes in hand, we headed out to hubby's parent's home. And the phone call came: "I'm not breathing too well and need help." Hubby's father has Post-Polio Syndrome and is not doing overly well. He's 83, losing weight, not eating, has essentially minimal muscles left, and can't use his legs....he uses a wheelchair. All of that to say that we high-tailed it to the senior apartment building where they lived, called the ambulance, and they transported him to the VA Hospital. They'll be keeping him overnight, think they've discovered pneumonia, and are doing blood work as well. He's stable and safe. Tomorrow he may come home. We'll see.

But I had to do a superman change in the bathroom when someone that I know and love dearly simply couldn't see me dealing with firemen and paramedics (lesbians, may I add) and trotting around the emergency room at the military-strong VA hospital in my rather progressive t-shirt. So, the day ended on this note and with this face and inside-out t-shirt:


Oh, and when I was at the VA I found a delightful little brochure "just in case":

22 comments:

Breenlantern said...

bring the t-shirt AND the brochure when you come to Albany...you may need both.

Sorry to hear the hubby's sire had such a bad turn of health, sending hugs and positive thoughts for good health to him.

Sorted Lives said...

Glad you had a good time with Eric. He is such a sweetheart!!

I am sending good thoughts to the hubby's father.

Dave2 said...

If you really wanted to scare the crap out of some people... you should have worn that shirt to the Republican National Convention!

Matt said...

Love the shirt ... love the shoes, love the bag, love it all!

I hope things look up for hubby's dad.

Franciscus van Munster said...

That's a good pout!

Lemuel said...

Best thoughts are going out for Hubby's father!

tornwordo said...

I love the brochure you picked up. Twas for me right?

Doug said...

I'll stand on your left, just watch where you put your hands (i.e., make sure they're in the right places).

I hope hubby's father comes through this alright. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

What a great shirt! And what a quick thinker to ease the discomfort of others by swappin' it inside out. That brochure should ease some discomfort also! One never knows! ;-)

Hope you will receive good news for health and recovery for hubby's dad soon!

Mark in DE said...

Love the T-shirt! Sorta reminds me of the one that reads "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is."

Wow, that is SOME VA hospital! They actually give tips for diahreah. Personally I'll stick to giving tips to waitresses.

Mark :-)

Laurie said...

HA!!!! Love the shirt!!!


HUGS!!!!!!!

dpaste said...

Well, what if he isn't gay? That would make you a liar, even if by default.

Glad to hear F-I-L is on the mend.

Anonymous said...

I so love that muscle shirt you have on. It hugs those abs and triceps well. Oh, and that banner photo of you in your youth....Ooolala!

Christopher said...

Can I get a copy of of that brochure? Please and Thank You.

Hope the hubby's Papa gets better soon!

Nathan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about his Dad. Keep us posted. I'm sending hugs your way.

Love the shirt, and it's always good to have a brochure about diarrhea ;)

RAD said...

Great T! Brochure cracks my shit up..no pun intended.

Ur-spo said...

don't snicker
that 'tips' brochure you and us tax payers helped pay and finance at i dare say a lot of money!

Jimmi said...

Charming! lol

WAT said...

I'd bravely stand to your left anytime, with or without the shirt.

I hope father-in-law will be okay.

:(

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to stand on your left. And best wishes for your husband's father!

ericopia said...

It was our pleasure to share dinner and the evening -- we had a great time! And thanks also for sharing the Larch Mt. photos. Our view from there on Sunday had been "inside of a cloud" instead of "stunningly clear day." Now my other half understand why I dragged him up there.

Keeping your family in our thoughts!

Tony said...

That's too cute the was you had to flip your shirt. Hope your da-in-law is making a good recovery :-)