* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Monday, September 22, 2008

How To Stay Miserable

Although my honey ran across this waaayyy back at the beginning of this year, I just found it again and am continually reminded of its virtues and importance in my life. I think it's a lesson that keeps on giving.

How To Stay Miserable

**Complain about the unfairness of it all. (This should not have happened. How can anyone do such a thing?")
**Organize your life around the event, trauma, or injustice. Make it a central theme in your life. Talk about nothing else. Bore your friends.
**Remain bitter and unforgiving.
**Become a victim. Give up power to take responsibility and control over your own life.
**Play the scene over and over in your mind. Keep thinking what you should have done or what you should have said.

How To Move On

**Talk about it. Don't believe that if you keep it inside it wont bother you.
**Forgive those involved. Forgiving does not condone what someone else did, it simply releases us from the pain of their actions.
**Make a place for the event in your life and then put it in its place. It's important to remember that it did happen and it did affect you. At the same time, its place is in the past, much like a chapter in a book you have read and choose not to read again.

13 comments:

Laurie said...

OMG!!! I know a couple of people
like that! I worked with them.
I think they're still bitter and
in need of a good lay!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's something we should remind ourselves of frequently. Thanks for sharing!

Franciscus van Munster said...

Very true, and it also demonstrates that staying miserable is a LOT more work than moving on.

Ur-spo said...

if I can add to the list -

Put all your energies into the past.

Don't move on until you know clearly why something happened.

Make it a rule that if justice is not 100% done than you won't move on.

Speak you wounds; and extract power from them.

tornwordo said...

Wise words indeed. It's sometimes hard to see out when you're swirling in the vortex though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this out there. Excellent daily reminder for us all! I have a few folks to share this with...

Java said...

Excellent! Thanks Lewis!

travelling, but not in love said...

Great advice. I know people in both camps, unfortunately. I prefer the 'just get on with it' kind...

dpaste said...

You lost me after the first five items.

Mark in DE said...

A good reminder!

Mark :-)

Doug said...

I'll be adding that to my toolbox. Thanks!

Tony said...

Very too! It can be wasy for one to play hard done by .....

Greg said...

How very true those lists are.