* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Snippets and Such

I've got pieces of a thousand things in my head today. Since I'm not sure what to share, you'll just have to take me being a thief from my friend over at Sticky Crows...I'm sure he won't mind my hijacking his Sunday Snippet title just this once:

The father in law is actually doing a bit better. Still in ICU, still on tons of medications, but his breathing is better and his speaking has improved. I'm amazed at the power of our bodies to reheal, rejuvenate. I mean, three days ago this guy was on death's door. Funny, odd, and beautiful.

I'm still amazed at the power of a good chunk of our nation to be persuaded by this Sarah Palin deal. Comes out of nowhere at a time when the GOP needed a serious injection of speed and has single-handedly thrown our nation's folks for a loop. We are such a "Britiney Society." It's all about the hype, isn't it? Personally, I'm digging some depth, some future, a little vision, and trying to sense the long-term, not the short. Some of our good country is so single-minded, so simple-minded. There is nothing deep or complicated about her. She's simple, she's out of her league, out of her mind. And so are we if we vote for the Wal Mart Mom of America.

I'm more jacked than ever to be getting ready to meet a new friend or two or three. My trip to see Sean at Idle Eyes and a Dormy is drawing closer. Anybody in the NY/VT/MA area want to join us for a little frivolity over Columbus Day weekend? The guy and his hubby have graciously allowed me to visit -- sight unseen! Man, they are brave. (Don't tell them but I'm probably just as excited to see their pooch Clyde as I am to see them....). Sean has become a great friend and I have no doubt that we're going to hit it off quite nicely. Giddiness and nervousness ensues.....

My honey and I are off to our annual "Recurrent Training" this week in Seattle. Once a year we're required to take a written test, do CPR, operate every piece of emergency and medical equipment on the airplane, and -- the scariest and most nerve-wracking part -- is to do a drill evacuation of an airplane while shouting commands. It's always better when it's over which I know my friends at London Life and Turnip Style.Com will totally understand. And speaking of airplanes, my buddy David at Someone In a Tree shared this NY Times Story with me a while back. It's a great opportunity for you to check out my horribly glamorous job. Don't miss the video that's in the story, either.

Today is the last day of Summer. Enjoy it, somehow and some way. I'm one of those who are quite happy for the autumn season in spite of the fact that the beach weather is behind us now. My good greetings to you all for Super Fantastic Great Cool Delicious Sunday.

23 comments:

Franciscus van Munster said...

Whatever you're on, I want some!

My adventures said...

me too! what is it?

Breenlantern said...

Quick, before my dads catch me n their laptop posting under Daddy Sean's name: I am excited you're coming to visit and FYI I'M the one who gave up my bedroom for you to crash in...so remember who to dote on and shower with affection when you get here.

See you soon!

Clyde

Anonymous said...

Hey Lewis! Super smattering update! I feel for ya on that training, wouldn't want to do that! Glad your hubby's dad is a little more stable!
And... LUCKY!!!! to get to travel for the holiday and meet folks! :) I bet it will be a blast!
It is raining for our fall solstice here! Perfectly Oregon!

paul said...

Love the Sunday Snippets - nice if they became a weekly feature. Again, you are right on the money about Palin and our society. With Bush, our country hit rock bottom and with McCain & Palin, it will go lower. Maybe, I am being too hard on her, she does have the credentials: hockey mom. So, the death&destruction, bad economy, corruption that republicans have caused, just doesn't matter to society.

LSL said...

I always love snippets. :) Glad to hear the father-in-law is doing ok. I'm still sending all of my good thoughts and karma your way! Big hugs!

LSL said...

AND, I'm still hoping to make it east while you're out here!

Ur-spo said...

I am mad-jealous you get to meet Mr. Dormy! please hug him for me as well.

WAT said...

Holy cow! FALL IS HERE! It happened so damn fast too! WOW!

I'm happy to hear about father-in-law. :)

Laurie said...

GREAT news on the father-in-law!
Hope he just keeps getting better.

Have fun on your adventures!

HUGS!!!!!!!!

tornwordo said...

Are you both hostesses? (That's what they call it in French - I love that!)

Wayne said...

Great post as usual!
Especially the Palin snippet!

Java said...

I'm always pleased to welcome autumn. I'm always pleased to kick summer out the door. I live too far south. Did I tell you that Superman is thinking of moving us to the PNW? If it happens it'll be a few years. But still...

Glad to hear your father-in-law is improving. I hope his health continues to improve.

Birdie said...

I love snippets. I read the linked NYT article about flight attendants. I remember in high school that many girls dreamed of being a stewardess. I've seen the abuse y'all get on flights, and I would be terrible at smiling through all that. It's hard to demand respect from people who view you as a server. You have my great admiration for doing this job and doing it well.

I am jealous that you are meeting yet another blogger. I want to take a year off and go around the country visiting bloggers.

Anonymous said...

PS- re: Saran Palin. I just recently saw The Daily Show, and they had a hilarious bunch of clips showing her in various interviews--with her insipid responses to the interviewers. Come on America! Don't fall for this lady!

Greg said...

Have fun at the recurring training. As for Palin, the whole thing is like the dumbing down of America. There are still people who won't vote for Obama because he's a Muslim. Which was disproved a long time ago. Republicans seem to be fear mongers who spread lies and keep pressing the lies until we either stop listening to them or accept them. Unfortunately, most seem to accept them rather than do any kind of delving into the facts.

Rick said...

I could use a snort or two myself. Lewis you live a glamorous life.

TJ said...

Glad to hear that the FIL is doing better. My dad used to do the same thing. He would be on the edge and then next thing we knew he was back with us like nothing had ever happened. Strange how life works. Anyway, enjoy the time while you have it.

As for Palin, don't get me started. If they are put in the White House it's game over and not in a good way.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear the good news about "Dad." I am so with your terminology used about Palin ("Britney Society). But what scares me even more is when I get these e-mail alerts that foreign companies are buying into these American banks and institutions. Pretty soon we'll be "a nation of all nations." Summer is holding on for dear life, which I like. It still is providing cool evenings. Enjoy the week ahead!

Nathan said...

I'm so glad to hear your father in law is actually doing better! WONDERFUL NEWS :)

Mark in DE said...

Thanks for the snippets! Good luck with the recurrent training. I'm familiar with it, as I had a 'special friend' who is a flight attendant.

Mark :-)

Tony said...

Glad to hear that your father-in-law is doing better :-) Fingers crossed it continues that way.

Recurrent? Euw! I feel for you both. It sucks. Big time. How many days do you have? 2?

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to write this for a long time; however I just kept getting side tracked...

I really want to thank you for sharing that article from the NY Times --- I think it should be required reading before anyone boards an aircraft.

Funny how that show 'Airline' that ran for a while seemed to come across as 'drama' for most people, guess they too checked their brains when they turned on their TVs.

Yup folks it is like that on the ground and it sure is a lot worse if it happens at 41000 feet...and it is REAL!