* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Strangeness That Is Our Lives




I think it was 12 and 34. Twelve in First Class and 34 in coach, if I'm not mistaken. A very light passenger load -- but school was back in session and the summer holiday traffic had, thankfully, ended. I was sipping on one of my very first cups ever of green tea, compliments of my co-worker Christine. The time was just before seven in the morning and we had just been handed our final paperwork and were prepared to close the main cabin door on our MD-80 flight to Phoenix. It was just to be a turn for us -- down to Phoenix and back to Portland, home by 1pm or so. On our way to gate C21 just a few minutes earlier, we had noticed the large flat-screen TV in the bar had CNN on. Some little airplane had flown itself into the World Trade Tower in New York. The other two flight attendants had gone ahead while I stayed behind to watch a bit more. Hum, weird. And then I continued to the gate. During boarding, our First Officer had his overhead radio playing: "There's another one," he announced to us. And, a short time later, "Something has hit the Pentagon." I remember thinking that there must be a computer or electrical failure and that the FAA's traffic control system must be directing aircraft in the wrong directions. Something was weird.


So, "Are you ready to close the door," the customer service agent asked? It was, after all, just another day at work. One of nearly 33,000 scheduled daily flights to take place in the US on any given day. Sporting the blue polyester uniform like I've done on hundreds of other similar days. Our captain stepped from his seat back out into our forward galley. "Hold on," he said. "I'm not sure we're going anywhere." We waited maybe ten or twenty minutes, all the while making the obligatory "Thank you for your patience and understanding" announcements. Ugh. I hate making those. And I overheard the announcement coming across the aircraft's speakers in the flight deck: "All aircraft in the entire US have been grounded, no flights will be departing. All passengers and crew members must leave the aircraft immediately. The aircraft doors should be closed and secured and the jetways pulled away from all aircraft."

You know, there's just something about wearing a uniform. Any uniform. It seems to sort of create a camaradery. A group or cohesiveness. You sort of understand one another a little better and know what each other may very well be thinking or feeling. You know the routine, the drill. In good times, the stories of weird situations and people are the life of the party. And in difficult times, the stress can be high and the memories cut deep. And the stress of this present day was about to slice as deep as anything in my life. And I didn't even know it quite yet.

We made the announcement to the passengers and they began dragging their bags back out of the overhead bins, complaining, grumbling, per the usual. I remember one irritated, ignorant fellow saying, "We're just going to Phoenix -- there's no way anybody would want to bomb this flight.....let's just go." We did as we were told and left the airplane. A mechanic was standing at the forward boarding door ready to close up the airplane and pull back the boarding jetway. Our lives had already been changed forever.


In our crew room, where all of the flight attendants check in before trips, there were maybe 50 of us gathered. Rumors were flowing, tensions running quite high. This was, after all, our lives. Something we participated in many days a week, numerous months out of the year. We knew it like the back of our hand. But we'd been violated in the grossest of ways. I remember standing near our supervisor's office door when she was on the conference call that would do what had never been done before: "We are closing down the entire airline. No flights would depart for at least the remainder of the day. All flights currently in the air would terminate at their destinations or be diverted immediately to an alternate airport." All flight attendants were to go home and check later with Crew Scheduling. The reality of it for me was that I was to stay home for the next two weeks without working. The flights I'd been scheduled to work were cancelled from the schedule. I remember my first flight back. The nervousness, the strangeness. Everyone was suspect, I stared at everyone. Wondering. No more coming toward the front of the airplane without a sinking feeling in my stomach. Even today, that crosses my mind daily.


The skies were painfully quiet for the next four days. Not a sound. And when you live and work around such noise on a daily basis, you count on it. You know it. You live and breathe it daily. I remember watching a large group of swallows or swifts or some other such birds swirl overhead in the clear fall sky during those four quiet days. It was eerie. They had the sky all to themselves.


It's no wonder that when I happened upon United 93 on TBS last night that I kept saying to my honey, "We don't have to watch this if you don't want to." Man oh man, my tears were (again) a stark reminder of why I love my job and why it's one of the most dissonant places to work in the whole wide world.

Now, go back to that little tiny picture at the top of this post. Take a good look right now at that airplane on the left-hand side of it. Yeah, the one that is a split-second away from striking a skyscraper. It's just about to be the moment that changed all of our lives forever. I can see myself in there just like the actual flight crew members that are inside of that metal tube with passengers all in states of mind that I could never dream of. With uniforms on. Habit. Normal. Everyday life. With people in seats headed nowhere. Our lives continue to evolve.

16 comments:

Lemuel said...

Your remembrances and your reflections are very moving on such a day. You make the significance of the day so much more personal.

Breenlantern said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post. You do justice to a day that most people use as an excuse to foster xenophobia and faux patriotism. I am grateful for your thoughts, and your friendship.

tornwordo said...

Wow that was a great telling of your moment. I think we all remember our moment like it was yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you were already grounded and safe. Yet at the same time, I know that there had to be a sense of uneasiness going through you and all other flight crew members. Glad to have you blogging with us! ((((Lewis))))

RAD said...

It makes us all think about this day 7 years ago...Glad you are with us Lewis...I cant wait to meet you....good post! Hugs!

Nathan said...

What an amazing recount of your experience on 9/11. It gave me chills. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Quite striking to hear it from the perspective of the important individuals we all look to when we are on a plane: to take care of us... to meet us... to see us to our destinations safely. I think we all took you all for granted before 9/11/01. Thank you for sharing, and still being up there bravely every day to see us along our journeys!
I just saw United 93 for the 1st time this week... gripping!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience of that day. We all have our memories, but few of us are reminded of it as you and your colleagues around the World must be each day.

Birdie said...

Today's blogs are filled with different perspectives of that day. I wrote mine down for the first time. Thank you for a compelling narrative.

Michael Guy said...

Lewis, you've shared a unique and emotional depth here from your industry perspective.

Truly a tale from the heart. Thank you.

Tony said...

And indeed it has changed everything ... not only aviation, but so many things in our lives ....

Anonymous said...

Buff! You have a way with words; you made my eyes water...amazing! Thanks for the good writing!

Saludos desde Madrid, EspaƱa,
Gregorio

WAT said...

This is an amazing post. Simply terrific. Bravo.

Very moving, and quite harrowing. It could've been any one of us killed or hurt that day, whether in an office cubicle, as passengers, or flight crew (like you) on one of those planes.

UNITED 93 is wonderful, but intense and difficult to watch.

Anonymous said...

Such an interesting perspective. I can't imagine what had to be going through your mind that day or even since. Every day since 9/11, I wake up and hold my breath until I turn on the news to make sure that "something bad" hasn't happened again. It just became a habit kind of unconsciously, so it makes sense that certain actions or movements or something would make you think twice. It's a different world since the unthinkable happened that day.

I needed to read this today. Thank you.

-carywd said...

i can not even imagine
thanks for sharing

Matt said...

I don't think I've read this before. Beautifully written. I remember how silent the skies were those few days (we live under a flight path in central Seattle). My brother said the same from his flight path near O'Hare.

That picture is haunting. I've seen those stills for years, and your post just made me think, "Those people were still alive at this point." For just a split second more.

Big hug to you.