* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Vanity of Vanities



I am not easily embarrassed. And I'm not really now, either. But I have been a bit of a sucker, something I'm not typically given in to (banish all perverted thoughts from your minds, please). Something came over me a while back and I'm not sure what. Here's the deal: In the past, I used Dr. George's Dental White. I admit it. It's all out in the open now. I'm vain, apparently. But Dr. George's has been ousted at retail drug stores because of the big guys like Colgate, Crest and the others. So, I migrated to the Listerine Whitening Pre-Rinse. It works okay. And my current toothpaste of choice is Colgate Sparkling White Mint Zing. So, here's what came over me a while back: Advertising! That's what! I saw some online ad for Celebrity*Sexy*Teeth Ultra Whitening Smile Enhancer. Oh no, it wasn't a trial offer -- or even a special offer. I didn't have a coupon or a two-for-one offer. I actually spit out $50 for this teeny tiny little bit of liquid. And what has it done for me? Jack squat. Nada. Nothing. So, save yourself the trouble. Stick with what you know and love...the one that really turns you on. The cheap stuff. Let's just say that I won't be doing any infomercials for Celebrity*Sexy*Teeth Ultra Whitening Smile Enhancer anytime soon. Plus, now you all know how vain I really am. Ugh. Another crack in my persona. I think I'm up to 18 million + one cracks now.

16 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm a Crest girl myself. I even
use the mouth wash. I used that
whitening wraps....They tasted
nasty and they didn't work.

HUGS!!!!!!!!

tornwordo said...

I like the arm and hammer extra whitening. But I have no clue if it really works.

Birdie said...

After I had my braces off (only ten years ago), I had my teeth whitened at the dentist's office. They really needed it. How do you know whitener is working? It makes your teeth incredibly sensitive.

One of the great joys of growing older is that each dumb thing you do becomes statistically less significant. At my age, what's one more?

S said...

Whitening toothpastes don't work, no matter what they promise.

I know... my sister is a dentist.

The only way to keep them white is by refraining from liquids with high tannins and by having them bleached by a professional.

Michael Guy said...

Another 'crack' in your persona?

I haven't seen the first one yet, Lewis.

PS-you already have a beautiful smile.

Greg said...

Maybe it works more like Crazy Glue and you must cut out little pieces of white paper to affix to the teeth with that Celebrity Whoozits or whatever it is.

Anonymous said...

What is it they say? Vanity is kissing the devil's ear. At least, that's what they say in Holland! Ha ha.
Minty fresh kisses from a true Prodent-brusher... ;-)

RAD said...

looks fine to me --I can see your teeth sparkle from over here! :-)

My adventures said...

As someone whose already spent $8,000 on his teeth (caps) and is only half way finished, I have no room to talk. Ha! (the damage was caused by AIDS drugs and heart drugs, well, and smoking, the drugs do the same thing to your teeth that meth does, it's awful)

Christopher said...

If you find yourself in a pinch (you know, the paparazzi at the door), you can always turn to White-Out.

Ur-spo said...

My dentist gives me some sort of prescription toothpaste for alleged better gum care.
I suspect it is the 'summer rain' of the toothpaste world.

dit said...

We've all been sold something like this. Do not feel bad at all. Lewis, you look marvelous!

Wayne said...

Don't feel too bad Lewis. I think most people have been 'taken' a few times.
And Steven's right about whitening toothpastes!

Doug said...

I avoid the whitening toothpastes...my teeth are already sensitive enough.

Don't feel bad about being taken. Once you've been duped, you won't be again. You got it over with.

Anonymous said...

We all have our "cracks." You just saved us from getting another one. And hopefully in some way we, in turn, save you from getting those darn cracks we have, too!

Tony said...

Why mess with perfection? ;-)