* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Today -- Not One of Life's Pretty Ones

You know, some days bring things into our lines of sight that we just didn't see coming. Other times, we have good hunches on what is headed our direction. We landed from SJC this morning at 10am and had a phone message from hubby's mother. His dad had been taken from the rehabilitation facility back to the VA Medical Center -- severe breathing difficulties and didn't look good. You'll recall that this all started a week ago Sunday. And just yesterday, I posted about one of our visits to see him and the frailty of emotions it left me with. We have just returned from an afternoon in the Emergency Room at the VA Hospital. There are a number of issues going on and they are having a little trouble sorting it out. He is currently not able to speak -- almost like he's had a stroke. And his hands have long not been able to write because of his Post Polio Syndrome. So, he's essentially unable to communicate except for nodding his head. His white blood count is quite high. And he is unable to exhale carbon dioxide from his lungs on his own. It's building up in his system. And that, my friends, is not good. Right now (even as I type this the hospital is callin and wanting to know "what we want to do") the family is in the middle of making horrible decisions -- should a respirator be used? So, that's it for now. I know many of you have been emailing and wondering -- and for that we are both thankful for your friendship, love, and caring spirits. That's why I blog. For the relationships. I promise to be there for you, too, in your moments of need.

19 comments:

TJ said...

I'm sending you the warmest HUG I can and also If I could send an angel your way I would so let;s say I can and I am. Take care and hold tight to one another at this difficult time.

Lemuel said...

My prayers go out for you all that you may find direction and comfort at this difficult time. I send you all my love.

Anonymous said...

My thought and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.

daveincleveland said...

love and prayers coming to you guys from me in cleveland..thinking about you as you all go through this most difficult time
dave

Doug said...

You and your family are in our thoughts. All our love and sympathy.

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers duing this difficult time.

Stacey said...

I'm sorry, I hope you all can make the best and easiest decisions possible, and that your father-in-law is as comfortable as love and technology can make him.

Nathan said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and love go out to you guys. I know how difficult these decisions must be for his family too.

And you're right, you've always been there for others. And now we're all here for you Lewis.

Thank you for keeping us posted.

Hugs

Unknown said...

Our thoughts are with you... be the strong person you are... we know you will... and we will send good karma your way... take care... you are in our prayers

Ur-spo said...

i want to join the Choir in raising a voice of consolation, prayers/thoughts and general energy to you and yours.
keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts are with you guys tonight.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts are with you both and the family - wishing you love and strength in this trying time.

Anonymous said...

My prayers go up for your father in law! I wish the whole family peace and wisdom during this time.

Java said...

Oh, Lewis, I'm so sorry. This is such a hard thing to do! My prayers for you and the husband and the rest of the family.

Tony said...

So sorry to hear. I've been out of touch for a few days with travel. I hope the situation has improved. You're both in my thoughts xx

travelling, but not in love said...

Only just got to see this Lewis - my thoughts are with you all, I'm sending big love your way. Go gently.

Matt said...

Lewis, I can't believe I must have missed this post the other day. I'm so sorry. These decisions are almost impossible if they haven't been discussed beforehand. You and your hubby and family are in my thoughts.

WAT said...

OH.

I sorry. :( These are the moments in life I wish none of us had to go through.

Anonymous said...

Sending you warm thoughts and deep prayers during this time of difficulty. (((((Lewis)))))