* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Resting Comfortably


You know what's odd? Or funny, or weird, may be more like it -- is when I hear a complaint that "You haven't posted since Sunday....what's up?" I guess one never really knows what kind of stalkerish-personage is actually keeping tabs. So, an update on father in law. He has opted out of any invasive, aggressive testing and all of that. The hospital was discussing a bone marrow biopsy and another CT scan of sorts and do you want CPR and do you want this and that. "Nope. No thank you. I'm exhausted," were his answers. He's 83. He's had a good life. From being born in Evanston, Illinois, and his father being a professor of Economics at Northwestern University to growing up and going to Ohio State University in Columbus, to being an on-air radio DJ for the campus radio station in the 1940s, to moving his wife out to Southern California where he raised his three boys along the coast. He retired from the commercial paint business in 1986 and left the business of SoCal to move up to the Central Coast of California where they lived until "You forced us up to live in Portland" about six years ago. To keep a closer eye. To have a better grasp. To deal with this and that. A bit more easily for us. So, all of that to say that he's had it. He wants to be comfortable. That's it. He has a feeding tube from his inability to raise up his hands too well. And his struggling ability to even swallow. And so, today, he moves to a skilled nursing care facility not so far from our home. He likes me. And I, him. I've said before, that we understand one another. We're sort of kindred spirits. We share some common beliefs and traits. And one of those is that we're realists....to a fault many times. We believe in black and white. We believe that in spite of what we hope, we often know the truth. And that reality will prevail.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing I could possibly say would mean a damn thing at a time like this. Just know we're keeping you all in our thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Thank God for those kindred spirits we meet along the way to walk with us along the more difficult paths of our lives... wishing rest and peaceful moments for you all.

Lemuel said...

Keeping you all in my thoughts and best wishes. I think I share your FIL's outlook, but whether I will have a kindred spirit such as you close at hand remains in doubt.

travelling, but not in love said...

Lewis, he sounds like a great guy - and he's lucky to have you for a son-in-law. Look after ourselves over the coming months - I fear it's not going to be easy.

tbnil x

Nathan said...

Sometimes comfortable is the best and most we can hope for. If that's his choice, then I'm glad to hear he was able to do what he wanted.

Java said...

There comes a time when that is the best decision of all. I wish him comfort in every respect. I wish the same for you and the rest of the family as well. It's likely to be harder on you than it is on him. Blessings, dear friend.

Birdie said...

And you both love his son. Your realist philosophy will do you well in the upcoming weeks or months. Truth is difficult to deal with at a time like this.

I've been in those waiting times. Keep close, keep talking, and allow him dignity. You are what he and your husband need right now. My prayers are with you all.

Laurie said...

He has had a good life....He raised
a wonderful son who married a
wonderful man....I don't want to
go through any sort of harsh
treatments just so when I'm done
I can step outside and get hit by
an out of control big wheels...

I send him a huge hug and I send
one for you and your hubby too!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ said...

You're a good son-in-law and he is a lucky father-in-law and vice versa. What a special relationship to have and what a treasure to have that photo. Take care...

Breenlantern said...

you're beautiful...and i don't mean because of your face or body (although there's that..)

your fil is very lucky

Anonymous said...

He's lucky to have you in his life. And from what you've written, vice-versa.

Mark in DE said...

There is a dignity in being able to say "enough" and finish one's journey on one's own terms.

Mark :-)

dit said...

My thoughts are with you both. More than nice that you can be there for him. What an amazing life. Take care. Will be thinking about you.

Doug said...

He sounds like an amazing person, full of dignity and honor and love. It's no wonder you're kindred spirits. You're both in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is such a tough time, but love, respect and a healthy dose of realism will go a long way to ease the hardships this time will bring for you all. You are all in our thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers are with all of you. It has got to be hard for your "father-in-law" to come to the realization that he is about to meet his day. And to acknowledge it and face it takes a lot of strength. And I'm sure much of that strength comes from those around him. (((((Lewis)))))

My adventures said...

Sometimes you just know when enough is enough, I'm hoping for that myself!