* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Bending, Stretching, Contorting -- The Positions of Our Lives

I swear, I am not half the man I used to be. Well, the harsh reality of it is that I never was that man, quite frankly. I'm enjoying the gym. I did my first yoga class the other day with my good friends Melanie and Steve who helped me out immensely as I got my feet wet in this newfound chapter of my life. Today I had my second yoga class....by myself. And it was way different than the one two days ago. As much as I enjoyed it and felt great afterwards (and got to look at assorted body parts that made me quite happy), it is obvious that I don't possess the strength and endurance that some who have gone before me have. Today we focused on upper body and on balance. And it kicked my skinny white ass but good. I felt like I was just not even built like the rest of those yoga experts in the class. I mean, keep this straight, bend this, push that, now reach here, and put this body part there. It's all good until it's not. So, the push continues. To enable the endurance and strength that is necessary for good health. You see, when you're relatively thin as I am, it gets a little comfortable at times. Damned near cozy. You start to think that you can eat this, or have that, and not go to the gym. It's a serious false sense of good health. And if my good comrade Sean can put it all out there and possess the wherewithal to bring himself around as he has, then so can I.

This week will find me in Palm Springs, San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Los Angeles, and San Jose. I'm meeting yet another blogger to add to my list and I couldn't be happier. Friends are what make the world go 'round, you know.

13 comments:

(F)redddy said...

I'm as limber as a steal beam. I tried yoga once, but I wasn't able to pick myself up off the floor when the class was over. Kudos to you for even trying.

Blair said...

Keep up the good work and thanks for helping me to drag my sorry big white ass down to the gym with you. I am using profanity I haven't used in years and it feels great!

You continue to inspire!

Nico said...

I love yoga, I think it's most beneficial to the body and mind. Stretching is very important, and not forcing anything.. not trying to do something you actually can't. You'll get there step by step in your own time. Never be competitive.. work for your body, not against it.

annie said...

yeehaw! (that's idahoian for good job, brother!). i have lots of parts that i haven't seen since i gave up good sex. one of these days you won't be the 'newcomer' in class anymore, and someone else will be watching YOU in amazement!

WAT said...

When are you coming to L.A?! I'm here ya know!

Breenlantern said...

as you are inspired...so you inspire...

Anonymous said...

It seems like you have the tenacity to take this challenge to the next level! Yeah for you! I tell the ladies at Curves... "I am just stubborn enough to outlast myself!"

Ur-spo said...

hang in there
when I first did yoga I was frustrated at how stiff and non-limber I was. But with time - and not pushing things - i 'loosened up'
Yoga remains one of the best things I have ever done in life, both for body and mind.
I am happy for you for trying it out.

Java said...

Oh, honey, I'm twice the woman I once was. I just can't move very well now. Yoga would be a good idea for me, too, I say as I sit here with my coffee and pop-tarts. *sigh*

goooooood girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doug said...

Yay! Whose body parts are you gazing at?

Anonymous said...

I had always thought of you as having a fairly high metabolism rate and that that is what had been keeping you so thin. Have a fun time traveling/flying the coast!

Mark in DE said...

I've been curious about yoga and think I might give it a try. Do you think it is harder for someone who's not thin like you?

Mark :-)