* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Monday, February 26, 2007

Me, Irene Cara, and the Leg Warmers

What is so wrong with wearing leg warmers? You know, those knitted devices that fit nicely between your knees and feet? They do a good job of keeping your calves and ankles toasty warm. Irene Cara made them horribly popular years ago in Flashdance. And nothing would have it but that I had to have a pair (or several). A girl can't just keep wearing the same pair over and over, you know. A coworker and I were reminiscing today and we ended up in total hysterics with tears running down our faces from laughing so hard. I was telling her about coming from Idaho where we spent all of our time "helping the sheep over the fence." I mean, what else was there to do? Well, there was one other thing. In Idaho, we were really excited when we could get away to one of the big cities nearby....Portland, Seattle, Vancouver BC. On this particular trip to Vancouver BC, I had it in my mind that I needed a couple of pair of leg warmers.....don't ask me why or what I was thinking....because it's quite obvious that I wasn't. I remember telling the girl that I went with on this trip that I just had to have a pair and that "everyone was wearing them nowadays." (I'm sure that the words freak, twisted, and weirdo probably crossed her mind.) So, I stood there....in front of the wall of leggings....hum....which ones...which color. (Did it really matter.....I mean, they were going to think the same thing about me....whether I had green, red or blue.....Fag!....but in those days, we were called "light in the loafers.") I picked out a pair of blue ones and a brownish/tan color....hoping to ease the laughter with a semi-masculine hue. And I wore them. Proudly. There are probably a few incriminating pictures floating around for evidence in the Court of Gay No-No's. I took those things right back to Idaho, stretched them across my feet, positioned them just-so over the ankle area....and went right out to go and help the sheep over the fence. No one ever said a word. Do you think they knew then what I know now?

17 comments:

Mike said...

Uhm... if memory serves, Irene didn't actually wear the leggings. She only sang the theme song.

But still, I get your point. ;)

Anonymous said...

My friend, what visions I have of you in those 'things'. I'm laughing my head off right now. :)

SlyD said...

LMAO!! I don't even know what to say to that!

T-Bird said...

egads. now THAT would make a great YouTube. Must see GAY TV!!!!

Trailhead said...

horribly popular

Yeah, that's about the right way to put it.

Actually, I'd like to wax all snobby and fashionista, but...guilty as charged. They were navy blue. I was in eighth grade.

Billy said...

OMG - I remember some real 'please call the fasion police' moments in my youth as well, and some VERY well hidden pictures from the 80's. Nice post, really had a good chuckle...

tornwordo said...

Court of Gay No-nos. Snicker.

My adventures said...

lol on mikell's comment... we've all made the occasional fashion faux paux... it's the ones we're still making that keep em laughing!!!

Kevin said...

Are you bringing them to Orlando?

"W" said...

Hmm...wow. That's pretty queer.

I do want pictures. No I don't. Yes I do!

And if you're going to Orlando to see Kev, I want pictures then too.

Wayne said...

What a hilarious story! That was a kodak moment for sure!

Anonymous said...

omg that is soo gay!!! Thankfully I never had one of those fashion faux paux... dyed hair notwithstanding. and yes, all of THOSE pictures are under my lock and key. can't have people seeing pictures of me with purple or flaming red hair...

Sh@ney said...

Total loss...What does one say....How could....Why would....What the? Hmmmmmmm :P

Anonymous said...

Leg warmers...did you have big hair as well? Belted shaker knit sweaters?

I shouldn't talk. In seventh grade I asked loud and long enough for a pair of "Andre Michell" baby blue painter pants. I think that was a clue.

Brettcajun said...

I really liked your cruise pics. WOOF! Funny story about Idaho sheep.

DEREK said...

I'm having some wild visions of you like Bert. When I was a teenager they were famous, my sister probably had 20 different colors, I even snuck a pair once just to see what I looked like in them. If memory serves me I just looked at myself and laughed. Then stripped down to just the leggings, lol. I was a horny teenager.

Tony said...

Lordy...you in leggin's. WooHoo.

I can't even imagine. I'm laughing now. I used to chuckle when I saw them on girls so you can only imagine what is going through my mine right now.