* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Final Home Run

Today's the day. In 1938, it was on this day that Lou Gehrig made the very last home run of his life. Seventy years ago today. I suppose this man holds special significance to me because of my own father's struggle with Lou Gehrig's Disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or ALS.....or in Europe it is known as Motor Neuron Disease). The story is also about the demise of Yankee Stadium -- this piece of history will be demolished this winter.

If you've been reading my site for a bit, you know full well about my love and devotion to my own father who lost his life to ALS in March 1994. There are many posts about him.....probably the best known are PART 1, PART 2, and PART 3. Well, and then there was the bank incident.

This last few weeks has put us face to face with the struggle of my father in law and what could be his last days on this earth. Being the cry baby that I am, I got tears in my eyes just yesterday when I went in his room and kissed his forehead. He looked up at me. We share many common thought patterns and we're both realists. We just look at each other and know what the other is thinking. So, these stories -- the combination of the loss of Yankee Stadium, the Lou Gehrig aspect, and my father in law -- mean a lot to me. History shutting down, closing, the end of things as we know them. And the sun will continue to set on parts of our lives. The darkness will fall and things will be quiet. But tomorrow, when the sun rises again, I want new bodies without pain and struggle. And I want a new baseball stadium too.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tenderly touching... and simply beautiful... your writing here... and your spirit you share with those you love.

Java said...

Ah, Lewis. My sympathies, dear.

Birdie said...

What a beautiful expression of very difficult times. You're so right about the closing of doors in these later years of our lives; in our youth, so many doors waited to be opened. I see it in my children's lives now as they anticipate each new portal. Perhaps we can anticipate the closing of doors with an acceptance and appreciation of having been able to go through.

Allogenes said...

So many of us have terrible father (and father-in-law) experiences. It's refreshing to be reminded that there are some loving fathers and fathers-in-law. Thank you for sharing such personal moments. May this time be as peaceful and loving as possible for you all.

Ur-spo said...

I am saddened by your pending loss.
It is never easy, is it?
I am glad though he has you, and other people around him at this time.

Nathan said...

I think Ur-Spo said exactly what I was thinking, so I'll refer back to his comment.

We're thinking of you and your family dear.

Tony said...

Far from being a cry baby. I wish I could show my emotions as openly as you can. You're both still in my prayers

martin said...

Peace and love......

WAT said...

:(

Well, the sun must set on us all someday.

Even though we all know this, it is just never easy.

dit said...

My deepest sympathies. My step-father passed away from Lou Gehrig's Disease also. So awful to witness. Big hug.

Mark in DE said...

Although he may be ready to go, you will likely have more trouble with it than your father-in-law.

My thoughts are with you both.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

An interesting and thoughtful reflection that you have shared with us. But you are NOT a "cry baby." You are someone who has feelings and emotion and are not afraid to express them.