* * * My Words, My World, My Way * * *

Please Write: ALewisPDX@gmail.com

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mandate to Be Better



Many of you know the tale of my sister and her remarkable story of recovery. And numerous of you have been right there by my side through much of it. I'll outline a few of the posts at the bottom for you if you care to check them out. She is quite the person. So much so that I hope each of you is able to have someone just like her in your own life in the future if you don't already. Someone to show you that no matter how dark and destitute the journey, tomorrow can be a different experience. I've said it over and over to those struggling in their lives: "If she can do it, anyone can." I mean, her road has been crap, folks. A horribly long story that maybe she'll allow me to pen in its entirety sometime. But now, she has just finished a weekend with a group of AA women in the beautiful mountains of Idaho. She wrote to me to share of her weekend experience. And I wrote her back the following:



You already know I love you. And this just brings the added icing on the cake...and a big smile on my face for you. For you experience, for your gratitude, for the smile that brings your soul to life. I can just see that lights-out deal. Those are moments that shape us, form us, allow us to move on, to put old things behind and continue becoming new. Just talked to mom. I'm still coming on Thursday...probably be there 3-4pm. I told her that you and I would talk after her surgery on Tuesday afternoon. Love you and am, always, proud of you. I want to give you permission. Permission to be better. Permission to not have to do the same old things. Permission to make the second half of your life extravagant...in huge ways. So, there's your mandate. Get busy, my darling little sister.


I have the same wish for this wickedly crazy world we're in. The ups and downs. The impending sense of doom that seems to be mounting as the days go on. Cling to life. Cling to those who give you life and don't take it from you. Hang with positive people. Get rid of dead weight and those that drag you down. Be strong and of good courage. I know that many of my readers struggle. With alcoholism, drug use, lack of finances, children that test their very ability to be good parents, partners that come and go, mechanical breakdowns with cars, and jobs that seem to suck the life out of us. And I'm afraid that I don't possess any particularly good answers to solve those most troubling of situations. I only know that today is all we really have. To make it right. To choose a different attitude. To make the rest of our lives, from this day forward, different than the past. I'm not really sure where this whole post came from, nor where it's going. But I had to pass it along. Something overtook me and made me. For you, for me, for all of us.










14 comments:

LeLo said...

"Permission to make the second half of your life extravagant...in huge ways."

I love this. What a wonderful note she gave you. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Tony said...

Your sister is lucky to have such a caring brother :-)

Java said...

Honey, this is wonderful. I'm encouraged by your sister's success. I'm also encouraged by your loving sentiment.

Nico said...

It feels like it came straight from the heart. Thank you !

annie said...

with tears of gratitude, i wish to share that it's ME who is the blessed one. the man you know as lewis, my brother, is my hero. even during the stretches when he couldn't find me, he forever remained my strongest supporter and encourager. he and his spouse have gone to extreme lengths to ensure my happiness. when i got my first ever solo apartment, i came home from work to find it stocked with all the essentials: trash can, coffee pot/coffee, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, FOOD, and real trash bags, among other items. i have learned from my brother to take care of me, that i am worth it. i know lewis is my hero because i can tell him anything, and i have. never once have i been put down, degraded, or ridiculed for who i am. when i'm wrong, he tells me i'm wrong. when i'm right, he smiles and tells me he's proud. no, i'm the proud one. this world is a much grander, brighter, funnier, less "BS" place because of him. i wouldn't trade our relationship for the world, nor my blessed relationship with my second hero, my brother-in-law. and the pup. thank you, brother, and i love you.

Jay said...

Both of you are blessed to have each other. I, for one happy and envy at the same time for both of you.

My brothers completely shut me down after they found out who I am. But life goes on.

Life indeed can be such a monster and truly difficult to deal with. But I am not going to surrender. Good and bad things come and go. But I hope good things will come the most.

tornwordo said...

There is really so much to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Wow, very well worded! I had goosebumps!!! :)

Greetings from Madrid, Spain,
Grego

RAD said...

:-) thx for sahring...dam you..snif sniff

Birdie said...

You wrote this post for me, sweetie. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Especially after reading your sister's comment to your beautiful post I feel a little like I am walking on sacred ground. Bless you, bless your sister... and thank goodness for this kind of love that still exists on the earth.

Laurie said...

I'm so happy for your sister...
She is so lucky to have you in
her life....

HUGS!!!! To you and her!

Mark in DE said...

Regardless of what challenges each of us faces, your words of wisdom fit. We can stop being victims of our circumstances when we decide to CHOOSE a better tomorrow.

Thanks, Lewis!

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Your sister is one fortunate sibling. I remember these sometimes "heart-wrenching" posts like yesterday. It will be a happy holiday season in comparison to earlier this year in what you were waiting for which seemed inevitable. Thank goodness for your strength! (((((Lewis)))))